PDA

View Full Version : Lake Hemet

bstolton
07-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Alright short notice but hittn up hemet in the am. I usually go to the last parking lot on the adventure pass side and fish the cove by the dam. Last couple of times it has been slow. I have heard that the second parking lot is a good place, anybody fish there? Pwynn I know u troll and kill that lake any suggestions for us shore fisherman? No worries tho I look at this as a warm up for my sierra trip. Besides after a few beers its all good!

Thanks Bill

Natural Lefty
07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
bstolton, apparently you did not see my report from my trip to Hemet Lake yesterday. In no way would I recommend going to "the other area" to shorefish at Hemet Lake. My wife and I tried it yesterday for the first time, and it was not good, except for dink sunfish and baby bass. We have always had better success in the Advdenture Pass area. It is deeper and rockier in the Adventure Pass area, so this area attracts more good sized fish -- trout, Bluegill, Catfish, Bass, etc. But I guess the fishing has been mediocre in general at Hemet Lake lately, if the Adventure Pass area has been slow too.

bstolton
07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok so I hit up the adventure pass side like usual, I stopped at the 2nd parking lot but it was already starting to fill up at 7:30 am. I guess thats why I never fish there but I heard its a good spot. So I pull into the last parking lot and I`m the 2nd car. Head down the trail to the first set of boulders and start to fish. Set up 1 pole with PB and the other with a gulp micro nymph, nothing on the PB but had some baby bass? chasing the nymph. More people started to arrive and I was`nt having any luck so I moved all the way down to the cove by the dam.Decided to try some marshmellow PB since the chunky cheese and salmon peach was`nt working and the water is still a little green so I thought the white color would be good. Bam 1st cast I get a 1 1/2 lber so I toss out again and start to get hit and thought I had another but no I lost it! I had a nightcraweler on my other pole and never even got a bite. Didn`t have any more luck with the marshmellow PB or any other color after that and got bored with the worm so started throwing a thomas bouyant and caught me a nice 4 to 5" bluegill. Could`nt manage that 2nd trout so I guess the trout dinner will have to wait till another day.

Thanks Bill

Natural Lefty
07-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Bill, I am glad you at least caught one nice trout plus a few little critters. I guess that shows we should have gone that way as well like we usually do.

By the way, I grew up in Riverside. Now I live in Moreno Valley.

bstolton
07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I always managed to catch at least one trout when I go there but I have only had a few trips where I have got my limit. The old guy fishing next to me caught 2 carp on his homeade bait and says he usualy catches more, he was also fishing a crawler for trout but no luck. Still had a good day being outdoors. The DFG came by checking license and today he had a blk lab with him, first time I`ve seen the dog patrol.

Bill

Natural Lefty
07-26-2009, 09:23 PM
A ranger was watching my wife and I fish for about an hour while we were fishing by the fence. He also asked us about the fishing. A few years ago, the DFG guy came and talked to us for quite awhile at Hemet Lake. I remember that time, we caught the two largest Yellow Bullheads I has ever seen, around 2 pounds each. Since then, I haven't seen a lot of bullheads there. I wonder what happened. When I was a teenager, I used to go there with my dad, and the bottom of the lake seemed to almost be covered with Yellow Bullheads.

pwynn
07-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Alright short notice but hittn up hemet in the am. I usually go to the last parking lot on the adventure pass side and fish the cove by the dam. Last couple of times it has been slow. I have heard that the second parking lot is a good place, anybody fish there? Pwynn I know u troll and kill that lake any suggestions for us shore fisherman? No worries tho I look at this as a warm up for my sierra trip. Besides after a few beers its all good!

Thanks Bill

Sorry for the late post bill..
i would fish the second parking lot.. i noticed many people catching fish in that area on Saturday.

pwynn
07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
bstolton, apparently you did not see my report from my trip to Hemet Lake yesterday. In no way would I recommend going to "the other area" to shorefish at Hemet Lake. My wife and I tried it yesterday for the first time, and it was not good, except for dink sunfish and baby bass. We have always had better success in the Advdenture Pass area. It is deeper and rockier in the Adventure Pass area, so this area attracts more good sized fish -- trout, Bluegill, Catfish, Bass, etc. But I guess the fishing has been mediocre in general at Hemet Lake lately, if the Adventure Pass area has been slow too.

Hey lefty slooow down there buddy. One trip in 2 years does not make you the new FNN lake hemet shore fishing expert. Being i fish that lake at a very minimum of 4 times a month but more like 8 right now. I see and hear of tons of fish (trout, catfish and carp) caught on the campground. mostly the marina area and point and around the fence.

Natural Lefty
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
pwynn, actually, I fish Hemet Lake about 2 times per year, but I see you fish there far more often than I do. I was just basing my observations on the fishing trip the day before, when people weren't catching much in the campground area except for my wife and I catching little ones. Also, I noticed the shallow water and lack of structure there, except for the veggies in the water. I would think the campground area has good fishing at times for trout, catfish, carp, bass or panfish, but it wasn't happening when I was there, and Bill said he was going fishing the next day.