PDA

View Full Version : Kids float tube help.

joe man
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I am in the market for a float tube that is safe for my eight year old girl. I need one that will sit her high enough to cast or that has low back rest and arm rest. Can someone give me a recommendation? I am trying to keep it cheep because if she doesn't like using it or if she gets good really quick we will need to upgrade or get rid of her starter tube. I do know that they did at one time make a youth float tube (can't remember what company) but I haven't seen one in over a year and the only ones i have seen were on ebay. I use a Utube but what would you recommend for young kids?

Nessie Hunter
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I have one "strong" recommendation for kids in Float Tubes.

Get them a Tube with TWO MAIN BLADDERS (Like ODC 420), and a vest type PFD that self inflates if they happen to have a problem..

I also made two tubes that fit in valve (5/8" OD clear tubing with duct tape to fit tight in valve) that are about 20" long, this way I can inflate at anytime on the water with ease, they fit in pockets... I can compensate for leaks and keep fishing, just let it hang out and give it a puff now and then...

Go to freshwater lake and show them in shallow water the tube is safe if a bladder blows (let the air out).. They need to feel safe, confident and know what to do if something does happen............

ODC back rest is adjustable forward and back, Seat can be built up/padded if need be...

I have seen a couple of incidents of "U" Tubes blowing a seam or fast leaking.. Darn good thing the guys were confident and knew what to do....

She will love it and be running circles around you on the first outing.. :thumb: :thumb:

sonarbp
06-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey joe man,

Let me see if I can help you out!!! I use a Togiak float tube made by Trout Unlimited. Even though I am alot larger than a kid......6'2 3+lbs....I think this tube would be great for her....this tube has a floating seat and will keep her high out of the water...it is very easy to steer and is very fast. I think if you buy her this one you will never need to upgrade.

Trout Unlimited Togiak Model Float Tube:
The hydrodyamic hull shape delivers improved tracking and steering. Because the seat is raised, you stay drier and see farther. The extra-comfortable stadium seat with a high, adjustable backrest provides support and comfort. The unique sculpted design features an uncluttered deck and streamlined look. Extras include a large mesh storage platform, two reel pockets, two sloped gear pockets, mesh stripping apron with ruler, fly patch and horizontal rod holder. Features urethene air bladders with roberts valves.

Cost: $140.00 you can get it at Bass Pro for about $130
Capacity: 350 lbs
Warranty: 1 year

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/sonarbp/togiak.jpg

Thats just my :2cents:

sonarbp

NetBoy
06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
my daughter has been float tubing since she 8, she is ten now, she uses a fish cat which may be slightly cheaper then the togiak & in my opinion since i own a togiak, the fish cat is better made, so you won,t have to upgrade. i do have a couple of recommendations, i use a thin rope about ten ft long to connect us & she wears a life vest. hopefully this will help.