PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Minn Kota PowerDrive Problems

christopherjake
07-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a Minn Kota 40 PowerDrive and everything seems to work fine when testing it in the garage. But when I'm on the water, the steering would work but the propeller doesn't spin. The only thing I hear is the relay clicking noise.

What's weird is once in a while the propeller would sometime spins but when I put it back in the water, it stops. Later in the day when it's nice and warm, everything seems to work fine.

Any suggestions or recommendation is appreciated. Thanks.

plastics
07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
One thing I've experienced with those motors is that the foot pedals have a tendency to go bad ... the contacts along the variable speed slider get screwed up and might not be making contact. I THINK that might explain why you have power to steer but the prop doesn't spin until later in the day (when perhaps the contacts heat up and start working again to send power to the prop). I'm no expert but I did have this particular problem with mine two different times ... it was making contact at super slow and super fast but nowhere in the middle speed ranges. I had to replace the pedal both times ... about $50 or $60 I think.