PDA

View Full Version : Great White In The Surf at Malibu?

Fisherman57
07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
With the high surf, rip tides and tidal flood warnings that have been posted for this weekend, I thought I'd add another good reason to be very cautious this weekend if you're headed to the beach.

Lifeguards are on the lookout for any sign of a shark that was seen off the coast of Malibu Thursday afternoon and surfers are being warned to be extra careful. Experts are trying to determine if the shark was a "Great White."

Photographer Dave Ogle says he was shooting video of a friend from a helicopter when he spotted what he thought was a 10 foot "Great White" shark swimming in the water near Pepperdine University, about a half-mile from Surf-Rider Beach.

Ogle says the shark was swimming just 500 feet from shore.

"It's their home," said county lifeguard Capt. Terry Harvey. Harvey said he did not know what type of shark was seen yesterday off the coast, only that it was "fairly sizeable."

Bay Watch vessels were patrolling the waters, but the shark has not been seen today, Harvey said.

If the shark is a "Great White", it would be an unusual sight, since "Great White" sharks have never been seen so close to people and surfers in that area before, according to experts.

Julie Scardina from Sea World told KTLA the shark could be a "Mako Shark" which is very similar in appearance to a "Great White", but it's difficult to determine exactly what type of shark it might be.

Typically, "Great White" sharks are found further north, Scardina says.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-malibu-shark,0,7848387.story

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/MalibuGreatWhite.jpg

So..... Wingnut Pug.... Im gonna need you to stay at least 57 yards away from the water at all times..... as for your "father"...... I think he's headed to the freshwater this weekend!

fishincrave
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dana , i'm hoping that were all smart enough to stay away from the surf this weekend .
As of Wingnut Pug i think Arthur is more like (Father) then Owner LOL:Wink:

Fisherman57
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
I repeat......... be careful out there this weekend.

LOS ANGELES -- A body surfer has died after being slammed into the rocks by a set of 20 foot waves in Newport Beach.

It happened at a popular surfing spot known as "The Wedge" shortly after 12:30 p.m today (7/24/2009), according to Newport Beach Fire department spokeswoman Jennifer Schultz.

The man, described as an "experienced" body surfer who was in his 40s, was riding waves with several other body surfers when he became separated from the group, according to witnesses. A set of twenty foot waves repeatedly pushed the man into the rocks as he struggled to swim out of the area.

Lifeguards risked their own lives and dove into the water in an attempt to rescue the man. With the help of other body surfers, lifeguards were able to pull him out of the water and onto a lifeguard rescue boat. The man, however, was described as "unresponsive" and not breathing when lifeguards reached him, according to fire officials. He was transported to Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach where he was pronounced dead, according to Newport Beach Fire Batallion Chief Jim Turner.

Lifeguards up and down the Southern California coast have responded to numerous calls for help from swimmers and surfers who are getting in over their heads as some of the biggest waves in years pound local beaches. Several surfers have been transported to hospitals. The incident at "The Wedge" is believed to be the first fatality from the dangerous surf.

The Wedge is considered a mecca for body surfing, but is also known for its potential dangers. Wedge veterans have left the beach with concussions, fractured vertebrae and broken bones, officials say. The waves ricochet off the rocky jetty at the tip of Balboa Peninsula, smashing together in white-frosted peaks that can tower 20 feet. The Wedge can chew up novices, flinging them onto the hard berm of sand or sucking them back into the churning surf.

Waves 10 feet and higher have also been reported in Huntington Beach and a rip current advisory is in effect at all Orange County beaches. A high surf advisory is in effect until 10:00 p.m. Saturday for Los Angeles, Ventura and Orange counties.

Also in effect until 10 p.m. Saturday is a coastal flood advisory along the Orange County Coast, and National Weather Service forecasters said that minor coastal flooding was possible over low-lying, south-facing beaches in Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

Possible trouble spots start in Seal Beach at the mouth of the San Gabriel River, where waves of 4 to 7 feet could be seen.

The high surf is a byproduct of 50-knot winds that developed off Tahiti and are blowing toward Southern California, producing 8- to 12-foot swells at some beaches.

The conditions are perfect for surfers, and the Hurley U.S. Open of Surfing competition is being held in Huntington Beach through Sunday. But the surf is proving too much for other beachgoers, and lifeguards have warned them not to go into the water if the surf gets too high and dangerous.

The National Weather Service has issued a warning to boaters in south-facing harbors to anchor down. Beach homeowners also are being told to be wary of increased erosion from large waves and high tides. "It's going to be very dangerous; there's going to be a lot of rip current," said Sean Collins, chief forecaster for Surfline.com.

As high pressure continues to heat the Southland, the beaches are expected to be packed in the coming days.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-dangerous-surf,0,1771970.story

troutdog
07-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I think fresh water fishing options are the way to go this weekend :Shocked:

TD

RUSSO
07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh man, that is horrible. There must of been a bunch of people watching that go down too.

flyngby
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Dana,

Thanks for the heads up to all as there will be some serious risk and effort put forth by Emergency Personnel in an attempt to rescue the foolish who think that nothing can harm them and disregard the well published warnings!

Steve

Wingnut
07-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Please resist the temptation to head for the surf the next couple of days. Unless you are an advanced surfer or just going out there to witness the power of Mother Nature... at a distance. :Cool: Yes, I'm playing it safe and sticking to the fresh this weekend! :Wink: Thanks for the post Dana, we can't warn people enough about these kind of things.

rusty6
07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
meh not too big of a deal, they're out there when they aren't spotted as well. as a surfer, it's just a fact of life that when you're in the water, there is a big fish near you and 99% of the time you won't even notice. Since moving to San Luis Obispo, i've seen 2 LARGE sharks when out on the water but am certain they weren't the only two.

KID CREOLE
07-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Great Whites feed on seals, seals are often near the beach, great whites are near the beach