PDA

View Full Version : HIKING/FISHING off the 38 August 14-16

SkunkyZach
07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
My buddy and I are planning a backpacking trip for August 14 -16 most likely on the Santa Ana River Trail. We are planning on getting dropped off on Friday morning and being picked up Sunday. Two beautiful days in the mountains, hiking and fishing. :Big Grin:

I was wondering if anyone would like to join us or provide any insight/ideas?

SkunkyZach
07-24-2009, 11:06 AM
We are most likely going to start at the South Fork campground and take the MTB trail 2e03, or a parrallel fire road, down to Angelus Oaks. And that is where we will be picked up at...

Skyler
07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll probably be up around there anyway, lol. I'm sure we can meet up somewhere along the trail. Just let me know.

Also, make sure you have prior camping arrangments, as the river and its associated trails are a day-use only area. No camping or open fires allowed. 7 oaks campground is kind of on the way, but it's usually booked up on the weekends, and you will be hard pressed to make it to Angelus oaks along the river from there in one day and actually have time to fish it too.

SkunkyZach
07-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Skyler,
It is kind of far, but we are going to take two and a half days. I know there isn't any camping along the way, but I was going to kind of just set up camp...:Shocked: I have a little whisperlite stove and probably won't even set up a tent. BUT, if there is a better trail w/ campsites along the way, I would love to have the assurance that I wasn't leaving a trace.

SkunkyZach
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
What about Little Bear Creek Trail up by Arrowhead? Has anyone fished/hiked this area before?

Skyler
07-25-2009, 04:50 PM
The fires tore that area up pretty good. It's a day-use area as well I think. It'll probably be pretty damn hot too, as all the shade has burned up. As for the fishing, i have no idea. I've never fished there.

If you decide to camp along SAR, be cautious of bears. They are all over down there. These boots are a size 13...

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6994/1001158z.jpg

SkunkyZach
07-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Dang-- Thats a nice size print.. I will definetly be careful... I was planning on bringing a bear canister for food, but besides that, I guess I am not to prepared for an encounter... I am open to any other areas besides SAR( maybe with less bear activity)

Skyler, thank you very much for all the helpful info...

mth1997
07-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Zach, the bear canister is a good thing to bring. If you can spare about $40 bass pro shops has a bear spray with holster for that price. If you have a pistol you might bring that too. But really, bears are not really anything to worry about down here as long as you follow the basic rules: no food or smelly stuff in the tent, put your canister down wind, and avoid encounters, especially with cubs. Make noise and you'll scare 'em away.

I'm more worried about rattle snakes when I go out. I've only seen 3 ever, 2 in SoCal. Keep those eyes open mang!

Skyler, that's a great pic of the bear print. I have a few like that, but with little cub prints alongside the momma prints. Same general area too, that's scary!

DCCTrouserTrout
07-25-2009, 07:02 PM
That is a really cool picture of the bear print...

smokinflies
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM
sound like it's gonna be good times. wish i could join in.

SkunkyZach
07-26-2009, 09:32 AM
sound like it's gonna be good times. wish i could join in.

You are more than welcome to tag along, 'cause now I can bring 12 pack, and you can carry it :ROFL::ROFL:

Skyler
07-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Zach, the bear canister is a good thing to bring. If you can spare about $40 bass pro shops has a bear spray with holster for that price. If you have a pistol you might bring that too. But really, bears are not really anything to worry about down here as long as you follow the basic rules: no food or smelly stuff in the tent, put your canister down wind, and avoid encounters, especially with cubs. Make noise and you'll scare 'em away.

I'm more worried about rattle snakes when I go out. I've only seen 3 ever, 2 in SoCal. Keep those eyes open mang!

Skyler, that's a great pic of the bear print. I have a few like that, but with little cub prints alongside the momma prints. Same general area too, that's scary!

I agree. Keeping your food away from camp is the main issue. As long as it's not a female with cubs, black bears will invariably run like hell when they see you. I like to bring a shotgun when I go down there, but not for protection purposes so much as small game hunting opportunities, lol.

As for the rattlers, indeed. You gotta be extra careful this time of year, especially around evening. I was hunting cottontail at a spot no more than two miles from SAR, and ended up in the middle of a rattler den while climbing a rockpile. I tell you, the pucker factor was like 12 on a scale of 10, lol! We killed and ate 9 LARGE ones in that area that season, plus about 15 smaller ones that I fed to my kingsnake. Anywhere where there are rocks and ground squirrels around, keep your eyes on the trail!

Zach, have you thought of deep creek? It's artificial/barbless only, but the PCT runs right along there, and if you time it right, there are plenty of campgrounds along the way.

SkunkyZach
07-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Skyler-
I've never been to Deep Creek but it sounds like it might be a smarter idea... I am very aware of my surroundings when hiking, but, I really don't like snakes. :Secret:

Skyler
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Skyler-
I've never been to Deep Creek but it sounds like it might be a smarter idea... I am very aware of my surroundings when hiking, but, I really don't like snakes. :Secret:

Well, there are plenty of snakes at Deep Creek too, and just about everywhere else in the SBNF, lol. But it sounds like Deep Creek might be a better fit for what you are looking for. Drop me a PM and I'll let you in on some details. Later.

steve092
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
If you do that SAR hike, do watch out for the rattlers like Skyler was saying. i was up there this past weekend camping. As I was rock-hopping, I jumped back on the trail and there was a baby one right in the middle of the path! Good thing I saw it in time or I would've been in a world of hurt!