PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon: "I raise you a PB Halibut." Wingnut: "I call!" 7/23/09

Wingnut
07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
This has been one heck of a week for me... Monday, Wingnut Pug got an ear infection, had to take her to the vet. :mad: Tuesday, got rear-ended in the Hybrid, major damage and undrivable. :Confused: Wednesday, we decided to postpone the long awaited "Hunting Giants" Team 57 Surf Event due to the high surf warning for this weekend. :Evil: Thursday (this morning), I had to let go of an employee due to a failed drug test. :Sad: Then by lunch time, I got news that a major client had cancelled a sizeable order. :Angry:

That did it... I decided to break one of my golden business rules, "Never ditch work to go fishing or golfing." :LOL: Lead by example, Rule #1 in the business world. Those who know me personally, knows that I rarely deviate from this rule. But today calls for a much needed exception. :Wink:
Gave Dana (Fisherman57) a call to see if he was free to fish... nope, The Godfather was busy as usual. Called Mike (Bones) and guess what...? He's already out in the Northern surf with Lucas (Big Red). :Neutral:

I guess this was gonna have to be a "One Man" show. I didn't need to fish today... I HAD to fish today. Left the office, went home to grab my gear and hit the road at 4:30pm for an afternoon/evening surf fishing session. Smack in the middle of the primetime commute, it took me two hours to drive less than 30 miles to a local spot. :mad: I almost turned the car around on several occasions, but told myself... I don't care, I'm fishing today no matter what! Something told me just to keep on driving...

Got to the spot and as I was walking down to the surf... I witnessed a wonderous sight. Baitfish jumping clear out of the water within casting distance. :Shocked: 4-5 inch baitfish flying everywhere along with Flatties going airborn after them! I ran full-speed into the surf and let the LC fly...

First cast... BAM! A legal Flattie greets the LC with a savage strike. Forget the measuring tape during a hot bite. I know for certain that it was a legal.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture014-6.jpg

A few more casts... thunk, Fish on! A nice short. Released it right in the surf and cast back out again... fish on! Another legal. Pic courtesy of a passerby.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture009-6.jpg

Then the action stopped as the Baitfish vanished... Kept moving down the beach and nailed this short Butt.
Please excuse the pink measuring tape. :ROFL:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture010-6.jpg

About half an hour later and a couple more shorts... more baitfish comes flying out of the water along with a Hali acrobatic summersault. I shuffled over about 20 yards in the surf and casted sideways toward the boil... got hit immediately but the fish didn't hang on, on the next cast, it came back with a vengeance! :Twisted: Another legal hit the sand.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture001-7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture002-7.jpg

Stuck a couple more shorts... didn't bother with the pics. I have loftier aspirations in mind. Moved back to the original stretch and coaxed the FOURTH legal to take the LC.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture017-5.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture016-4.jpg

Then a long stretch of only a bunch of shorts... It was now getting late past 8:00pm and the sun is rapidly sinking. Just as I was thinking to myself, "Damn, this has been one heck of an evening session..." and preparing to wrap things up... out of the corner of my eye, the water erupted with baitfish. You wouldn't believe it unless you were standing right there looking directly right at it. I would say the boil on the baitfish school was at least twenty yards wide... I should have taken a pic of it. I have never seen a surf boil of that magnitude. :EyePop: Needless to say, I jumped in and was right on top of the action. I caught short Flatties on SIX CONSECUTIVE casts! It was absolute mayhem... Once I realized that it was only a short, I was horsing them in and releasing them as fast as I could standing in the surf and casting back out again.

Then it happened... on one of my casts, I watched as the LC hit the water. At that instant, a HUGE Flat Boy came flying out of the water with the LC in its mouth. :Shocked: It came crashing back down and took off with a blistering drag run. I held on for dear life during that first burst of energy from the surprised and pissed off fish. Then the tug of war game began... back and forth we go, the fish take line, I gain it back, it takes line again... I turn it back... this went on for probably about a good five minutes or so.

Funny, the things that runs through your mind when you're on a quality fish. Will my knot hold...? Is my #10 line strong enough...? I hope the LC hooks are burried in the hardest part of the mouth and won't bend out. I hope the fish don't take me into the kelp or around a boiler rock... It's human nature to come up with excuses to why we might fail. When what we should think is... Stay calm, you are doing everything right, take your time, whatever happens, happens... it's in God's hands now. :Cool:

The big Flattie was tough and smart too... it would not let me use the incoming surf to ride it in towards the end of the battle. It kept bolting as soon as it got into the shallows. After a few tries, I decided to go after it in the surf with the Boga Grip. Guided the fish straight to me with mouth open and set the clip on the lower jaw on the first try. :Dancing Banana: The prize is secured!

After I released the big girl, I just stood there, staring into the sunset... the boil was gone, all was quiet except for the Seagulls in the distance and the sound of the crashing surf. It was time to go home.

I was happy to be able to take advantage of the calm before the storm... the swells were already starting to move in.

My personal best 34" Hali (previously 32").
Just shy of 20 lbs on the built-in scale of my model 130 Boga Grip.
Pics courtesy of a beachcomber.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture008-6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture004-7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture006-7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture013-6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture007-7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture012-6.jpg

The release. Surf fishing Karma rule #1 "NEVER kill your personal best fish." :Cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture015-4.jpg

Poseidon really knows how to make me forget my troubles. This is why I love surf fishing or any kind of fishing... it washes away the dust of everyday life. I get dirty during the week, and come clean in the surf on the weekends. :LOL:
I'm really glad that I made the off the wall decision to hit the surf today... I may have to break my own rules more often in future. :Wink:

I accomplished a few "personal best" today... all in a 2 1/2 hour surf session. It goes to prove the saying, "It's not the hours that you put in, it's what you put in the hours that counts..."

Personal Bests:
1. PB Halibut - 34 inches.
2. Most Halibut in one session - Nineteen (19) Flatties total.
3. Most legal Halibut in one session - Five (5) 22", 23", 23", 25" 34"
(All fish released)

Dana & Mike, I wished that you guys were with me today and be a part of this amazing experience. It was a great outing, my only regret that I didn't have anybody to share it with.

Marc (BSP), the "Spot" was on FIRE! I didn't catch your WSB, but I got the one that got away from you last time!

Please be careful if you're heading to the surf this weekend. High surf warning has been issued with swells up to 10 feet PLUS!
I'll be hitting the lakes this weekend instead. :Wink:

Thanks for reading everybody... until the next tide, PEACE! :Cool:

Arthur (Wingnut)

"One angler practicing Catch & Release is better than fifty preaching it."

Bonus:
Meet the new "Death Dealer" :Twisted:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture062-1.jpg

Weapons, ammo and Team 57 apparel.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture-4.jpg

Parting shot:
Wingnut Pug says, "I'm sad that I couldn't meet my Team 57 friends this weekend, but I'll see you guys at Legends III"

Confirmed "Hunting Giants" Participants - Please see the Team 57 Private Section for the rescheduled date for the surf event. :Big Grin: The show will go on!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Picture060-1.jpg

bones
07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Arthur,

Nobody deserves a day like this more than you buddy. Bigred and I played hooky today in anticipation
of the major swell due in tomorrow. To make a long story short......We blanked for the day and I could hear
the disappointment in your voice when I called you with the news. When you told me that you also were going crazy with the idea that you were not going to be able to hit the salt this weekend and were thinking about heading on out for and evening bite.....I thought to myself.....He has that "Little Voice" telling him something GOOD is going to happen. When I got your call.....I already knew something was up when your first word was "DUDE......"...LOL
You work so hard Arthur and you NEVER take time off of work to fish.The dedication to be successfull in the surf has not come easy my friend and I for one know how hard the "Desire" was today. A two hour drive in the middle of rush hour to a remote spot that is a pretty decent walk to the honey hole combined with somewhat sketchy and turbulant conditions is not the most favorable scenario to say the least but...........Karma rewarded you once again !
Congrats on an EPIC few hours in the surf and your PB flattie.
What a beautiful fish and talk about timing.......Even the odds of another person comming along in that spot at the exact time that you needed a picture taken......WOW......You are truely blessed.
Days like this are few and far between but the memories will last a lifetime!

Something tells me that when you are sitting in a boat with Bob this weekend your mind REALLY won't be on "Striper Fishing" but rather WHEN you are going to be able to hunt the giants again in the surf !!!!

Good Job Arthur!

Porkchop5420
07-24-2009, 01:22 AM
WTG wingnut! Setting 3 PBs during one session is mind blowing. I bet it was definitely worth taking the day off.
Again Congratulation on the excellent day on the water.

BIGRED KILLA
07-24-2009, 02:21 AM
WOW.. Arthur nice job on ALL the Hali's ESP your PB congratulation's you deserve it that was a toad you got. That must have been crazy to see it in the water and trying to boga grip her glad you did not pull a ''Bones'' and lost her you did great. Today was a tough day up north for Mike and I with a few lost fish and terrible water conditions and no bait to see. You made the right choice to go to that area that must have been crazy to see all that bait in the water and fish slamming them from below i would have goofed up for sure trying to cast to the boils lol. Thanks again for the Pics and report Art, and Great job on your PB Big Girl and all her younger Friend's.

Bigred

You were not fishing alone.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj43/bigredkiller/Poseidon-1-1-1.jpg

CAPT'N
07-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Arthur,

great report, great pictures, unbelievable afternoon in the surf!

Really sounds like a tough week, you deserved that time at the surf.

You might not have been fishing with anyone, but I guarantee you were not alone.

Scott

bman90278
07-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Great thread and pics. Thanks very much for sharing them with us.

Brian

boxl0bster
07-24-2009, 06:10 AM
epic day arthur!! i think if you didnt warn about the high tides i'd be heading out there this weekend. lol. thanks for the report!

DCCTrouserTrout
07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Way to go on the PB. That girl is a beast...

fisherman from long beach
07-24-2009, 07:32 AM
now that is a bad *** day of fishing congrats on the personal best.and the good karma of letting the pb go.

hbomb
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Monster Hali, thanks for the great report. Awesome job.:Cool:

ldsaylor
07-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Major props on that halibut! What an awesome night. Congrats man! Another great report as usual..

Nessie Hunter
07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
**DAM**

Good things happen to good people Art!!!!

Big Red hit it on the head with the Pic & "you were not fishing alone"...

OK, give a little credit to some well tuned, Quality gear.... :Cool: :ROFL:

flyngby
07-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Great job Arthur!

Was a rough week for you Buddy!!!!! Now how tough was it to return to work today!!!!!

I agree that you were not out there alone! You have always respected those in charge of the seas and also paid you dues and respect to them in the past!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3959.jpg

Congrats on another Epic Day! :Beer Toast::Popcorn::Big Smile:

Funny thing is that on Tuesday John and I were discussing how easy it was to win the Barbie Challenge and I told him I would never bet against you as you could probably be put to the task of catching 25 Flatties with a 50 percent Legal ratio and win with ease!

Now 2 days later you came just short of that vision of mine in only a few hours!!!!!!! Any thing is possible if you put your mind to it! :Envious:

I wish I had been there with you to be your personnel photographer just like a few weeks ago when our rolls were reversed and had to work!

Steve

Fisherman57
07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Wow...... What a GREAT fish Arthur!

Since my dad passed away, I feel like I'm going in a million different directions everyday, and I know you understand about me having to be there for my mom almost 24/7....., but I wish I had been there with you yesterday when you caught that beast!

I know I've turned down a million invitations to head out fishing with you, but not once was it because I didn't want to go.....

I can't believe what you've accomplished since that first day when we headed out for your very first surf fishing adventure..... now, a couple hundred+ (maybe even more) halibuts later...... another PB for you!

Couldn't happen to a better person! CONGRATS MAN!

BTW....... we'll head out soon!

Dana

bullets_full
07-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Damn Arthur,

Your posts just keep getting better and better! Congrats on your PB! With all the work you put in, you deserve it and the new PB is just around the corner I'm sure!

_Bullets

FishNFurious
07-24-2009, 08:41 AM
That fish was the big Tylenol pill that took away all your headaches for the week Art. Congrats my friend, yes you were fishing by yourself, but not alone. :Cool:

DEADROOTS
07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Truly an epic day! No doubt! You lucky Bass-trard!

farmacist
07-24-2009, 09:05 AM
No one deserves it more than YOU, Arthur! Congrats

bsp
07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Arthur, INCREDIBLE OUTING!!!!! I am so glad to hear that the "Spot" was able to produce so many PBs for you in one day. You are a great friend and you truly deserved an epic session after a horrible week and all the effort you have put into fishing the surf. It couldn't have happened to a better guy. I knew that the Spot was good, but it showed its true potential when you fished it. Karma probably played a small part in this as well. After what happened on our first trip, you were due for a good day there. :Wink:

Glad to see that big girl was doing all right too if it was the same flatty.

The swell report for this weekend is annoying though since my dad and I were planning to hit up the "Spot" on Saturday or Sunday. After seeing this report, I can hardly wait for next weekend to roll around. :Big Grin:

Hope to get out and hit the surf again with you soon!

-Marc

TheFishcatcher
07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
"The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day working" But it didn't turn out as the worst fishing day to you, brother. Big congats on the PB and glad to see that you forgot all the stress for a good part of the day.

Rooster
07-24-2009, 09:35 AM
You are truley blessed as we are to have you part of this great forum. Thx for making my day bro. Hope 2 cya soon

tacklejunkie
07-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Dude. Arthur!
That 40" is right around the corner baby! Don't stop! :Shocked: You are on to something. You're gonna cream 40" one day man.
Amazing! Awesome! I am green with envy but I know you deserve it!
Beautiful fish man. Just beautiful.

I had an idea that the flatties might sense the bad surf coming and feed up before the weekend. Looks like my hunch may have been correct!

exfactor
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I can't tell you how many days I have done exactly what you described to keep my sanity through my love of the water. And it's quite special to have those personel moments on the water so you can try to make a story that others might believe. That, my friend is the gist of fishing. Your mental scrapbook is getting fuller. Kudo's to you for having the presence to remember your camera, and share this experience with us. Mikey

victor101
07-24-2009, 10:03 AM
:EyePop: WOW :Shocked: is all i can say... :UDaMan:

LateFisher
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
WOW ARTHUR WHAT CAN I SAY, THE BEST REPORT EVER FROM THE BEST!!!!!!:Beer Toast::Dancing Banana::Beer Toast::Dancing Banana::Beer Toast::Dancing Banana:. JUST WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN WITH YOU, AGAIN, CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHN

jigginjay2
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Amazing report!! Congrats on the PB!!

Nhatster
07-24-2009, 10:52 AM
That is no joke a beautiful fish Arthur. :Shocked: I agree, there was someone else there fishing at your side, and it's not Poseidon. :Cool:

sansou
07-24-2009, 11:14 AM
My new clients, hereinafter referred collectively as "California Surf Halibut", have requested that I formally order you to cease and desist playing hooky from work.

:LOL:

Congrats on the PB!

Badbeat
07-24-2009, 11:50 AM
My new clients, hereinafter referred collectively as "California Surf Halibut", have requested that I formally order you to cease and desist playing hooky from work.

Congrats on the PB!

Now that's hilarious! :ROFL:

Three legals on Sunday, five legals yesterday. Eight legals in a five day period from the surf, amazing. :Shocked: Hey Bones, you got some catching up to do!!! Good luck on your striper trip this weekend bro. Those halibut are lucky that you prefer striper meat. :Twisted:

MAVERICK27
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Congrats Buddy! Couldn't happen to a better person. You are walking proof of karma...that is all I have to say!!!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Freakin sweet, I'd love to see the flatties doing that let alone get in on the action, thats one thing I have not witnessed yet is an airborne flatfish.

Sweet personal best and one hell uv an outing....uge congrats on besting that snaggle toothed critter !

I like the story, not that it even takes much but it makes me want to get out and fish right now !

What a wonderfull reward on a stressfull day...fishing itself is a reward but add those fishies and it's "Priceless !"

Funny, your heading to the lakes this weekend and I'm hitting the surf, despite the rough surf predictions.....

I'm pounding it anyway but who'll know what may prevail and what the outcome will be....maybe a skunk ?

OR Maybe not !

Time will tell but another huge congrats to you Arthur on a fine outing !

SWEET !
Gary

P.S.
I know that feeling of when you speak to yourself in your head on a trophy fish...all sorts of things go through your head, fortunately you remained calm and just worked 'em through...that's the best when you do it and have success...sometimes the feesh win...this time victory was yours !

kpn
07-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Congrats on your PB Arthur! Now go back to work :ROFL:.

KPN.

fishshep
07-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Right place right time!!!:Big Grin:

Jaysuuun
07-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Holy crap dude! :Shocked: You produce more flatties from shore than most people produce by boat. I thought it was suppose to be the other way around. :Confused: LOL!

Your fishing skills are impressive. 19 flatties in 2 hours! Congrats on an epic day and PB hali. :Cool:

eagleeyes
07-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Arthur,

All I can say is WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Steve

blackwater
07-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Good Lord, that must have been a sight to see Art. I was fishing in the surf next to you last year and we saw some Flatties clear the water but this sounds much more intense. :Shocked: Good luck seems to follow you wherever you go buddy and you've proved it time and time again. People speak of karma and I do believe that they're right. But most of them don't even know half of the things that you do to earn that karma, and I'm not even talking about releasing all of your fish. :Wink: The generosity that you show to others and just being an all around nice guy warrants the gifts that the Man above bestows on you my friend. Don't ever change. Even on a bad week you manage to turn it to a possitive, we all should be so lucky. :Cool: Looking forward to fishing with you tomorrow! :Dancing Banana:

flyngby
07-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Phoung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave you wallet at home tomorrow!!!!!!

You need to make sure the kids have a College Fund in the Future!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

steve

blackwater
07-24-2009, 08:03 PM

You need to make sure the kids have a College Fund in the Future!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

steve

Steve, believe me I learned my lesson! :LOL: But I'm determined to win at least ONE wager against "Superman". :Envious: I already know that I can't bribe you and Bones into helping me plant some Kryptonite in his gear, but maybe Bob (T.O.) will! :Twisted: Arthur, I bet you can't catch a DD Striper tomorrow with your teeth! :ROFL:

flyngby
07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Steve, believe me I learned my lesson! :LOL: But I'm determined to win at least ONE wager against "Superman". :Envious: I already know that I can't bribe you and Bones into helping me plant some Kryptonite in his gear, but maybe Bob (T.O.) will! :Twisted: Arthur, I bet you can't catch a DD Striper tomorrow with your teeth! :ROFL:

Phoung!!!!!!

Now you gave him early warning to bring his Snorkel Gear!!!!!!!!

All bets are on you Arthur!!!!!!:ROFL:

I bet Dana can Photo shop Superman in an underwater shot in snorkel gear with a DD Striper in his jaws!!!!!

End Of Thread Jack!!!!

Have a great day out there turning Bob's Boat RED!!!!!

Steve

fish_sauce
07-24-2009, 08:21 PM
very impressive arthur! congrats on the sweeeeet PB! :Not Worthy:

twice already (this week) i heard "Wingnut" pop up in a conversation with guys who don't even belong to online fishing forums talk about your great feats on the surf. I showed my "little bro" your old posts and now HE wans to catch a halibut! keep up the good work buddy, your posts are an inspiration to us all! :Wink:

Andrew

bones
07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
39 congrats so far Arthur............Helloooooooooooooooo............ Is this going to be a record multi quote for ya buddy.......Where are ya at OH HUMBLE MASTER OF THE SURF ?

Went to MDR tonight and caught ONE spottie by the canal.......There......How do ya like them apples....LOL

MMMMMMM....Might try to catch ONE more tomorrow!

I predict a 10 page thread comming!

END THREAD JACK!!

old pudd fisher
07-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Incredible catch. Hope your pup is ok.

olfishergal
07-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Dang it Arthur, I understand your pain.......But you did the bestr thing to relieve your stress.........fish!!! BTW, I had a similar week myself and am going to get out somewhere this weekend and fish off the stress. Guess I have to skip the surf, but plan on it next weekend when the water settles down. I love to see the bait breaching, you just know something very good is after it. Think of me next time you need a little fish stress relief. Can't match your skill, but you will have someone to brag and show off too.........pass the Karma lol........OFG

Wingnut
07-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Arthur,

Nobody deserves a day like this more than you buddy. Bigred and I played hooky today in anticipation
of the major swell due in tomorrow. To make a long story short......We blanked for the day and I could hear
the disappointment in your voice when I called you with the news. When you told me that you also were going crazy with the idea that you were not going to be able to hit the salt this weekend and were thinking about heading on out for and evening bite.....I thought to myself.....He has that "Little Voice" telling him something GOOD is going to happen. When I got your call.....I already knew something was up when your first word was "DUDE......"...LOL
You work so hard Arthur and you NEVER take time off of work to fish.The dedication to be successfull in the surf has not come easy my friend and I for one know how hard the "Desire" was today. A two hour drive in the middle of rush hour to a remote spot that is a pretty decent walk to the honey hole combined with somewhat sketchy and turbulant conditions is not the most favorable scenario to say the least but...........Karma rewarded you once again !
Congrats on an EPIC few hours in the surf and your PB flattie.
What a beautiful fish and talk about timing.......Even the odds of another person comming along in that spot at the exact time that you needed a picture taken......WOW......You are truely blessed.
Days like this are few and far between but the memories will last a lifetime!

Something tells me that when you are sitting in a boat with Bob this weekend your mind REALLY won't be on "Striper Fishing" but rather WHEN you are going to be able to hunt the giants again in the surf !!!!

Good Job Arthur!
Mike, I was really disappointed when I heard that you & Lucas was having a rough day up North on Thursday. That news added to what was already a bad day for me. That contributed to my motivation to hit the surf no matter what the cost or circumstances are. Like I told you, I hit the surf yesterday with low expectations. I just wanted some quiet time and relax. In the past year, I left work early to fish only twice... not sure if I want to make a habit of it. Just imagine what kind of damage we could have done together on that colony of Flatties. :Twisted: You're right, even though I will concentrate on the task at hand for the next couple of days killing Stripers in the fresh, my mind will surely wander to the surf, where more giants awaits.
Next weekend my friend... next weekend.

WTG wingnut! Setting 3 PBs during one session is mind blowing. I bet it was definitely worth taking the day off.
Again Congratulation on the excellent day on the water.
Blows me away too, it was quite unexpected. And yes, it was well worth it.

WOW.. Arthur nice job on ALL the Hali's ESP your PB congratulation's you deserve it that was a toad you got. That must have been crazy to see it in the water and trying to boga grip her glad you did not pull a ''Bones'' and lost her you did great. Today was a tough day up north for Mike and I with a few lost fish and terrible water conditions and no bait to see. You made the right choice to go to that area that must have been crazy to see all that bait in the water and fish slamming them from below i would have goofed up for sure trying to cast to the boils lol. Thanks again for the Pics and report Art, and Great job on your PB Big Girl and all her younger Friend's.

Bigred

You were not fishing alone.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj43/bigredkiller/Poseidon-1-1-1.jpg
I redeemed the day for all of us Lucas. I'm glad that I decided to go out and Boga Grip that fish. If not, I would probably be fighting that fish for much longer and risk losing it.
Funny, I must have looked like a fool running & stumbling into the surf to get off that first cast into the boil. Wouldn't it be a b*tch if I perform a mean backlash and put me out of action? It was a day to remember, that's for sure! Love the pic Lucas... indeed, I was not alone. :Cool:

Arthur,

great report, great pictures, unbelievable afternoon in the surf!

Really sounds like a tough week, you deserved that time at the surf.

You might not have been fishing with anyone, but I guarantee you were not alone.

Scott
Thanks Scott, there was definitely a calming presence there in the surf with me. I felt really at peace... even during all that mayhem.

Great thread and pics. Thanks very much for sharing them with us.

Brian
Glad to entertain buddy, thanks.

epic day arthur!! i think if you didnt warn about the high tides i'd be heading out there this weekend. lol. thanks for the report!
I don't use the word epic too often, but this trip definitely earned that moniker. Yes, do stay away from the beaches this weekend.

Way to go on the PB. That girl is a beast...
Definitely a beauty... and she still is.

now that is a bad *** day of fishing congrats on the personal best.and the good karma of letting the pb go.
Thank you, certainly a day to remember.

Monster Hali, thanks for the great report. Awesome job.
You bet, love writing fun reports.

Major props on that halibut! What an awesome night. Congrats man! Another great report as usual..
Thank you, as long as I'm catching... the reports will keep coming.

**DAM**

Good things happen to good people Art!!!!

Big Red hit it on the head with the Pic & "you were not fishing alone"...

OK, give a little credit to some well tuned, Quality gear.... :ROFL:

Ha ha, you're right Frank, all the reels that you tuned for me feels great. I think you put the Carbontex drag upgrades in that Calcutta 250DC for me. That Flattie didn't have a chance. :Twisted: I'll be shipping you another batch very soon for service. If anybody needs their reels serviced, shoot Frank a PM. He is very meticulous, provides great service at a very reasonable price!

Great job Arthur!

Was a rough week for you Buddy!!!!! Now how tough was it to return to work today!!!!!

I agree that you were not out there alone! You have always respected those in charge of the seas and also paid you dues and respect to them in the past!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3959.jpg

Congrats on another Epic Day! :Beer Toast::Popcorn::Big Smile:

Funny thing is that on Tuesday John and I were discussing how easy it was to win the Barbie Challenge and I told him I would never bet against you as you could probably be put to the task of catching 25 Flatties with a 50 percent Legal ratio and win with ease!

Now 2 days later you came just short of that vision of mine in only a few hours!!!!!!! Any thing is possible if you put your mind to it! :Envious:

I wish I had been there with you to be your personnel photographer just like a few weeks ago when our rolls were reversed and had to work!

Steve
Thanks Steve, it wasn't hard going back to work today at all, never felt more relaxed. I needed that short time off. :Cool:
When I was talking to Mike on my drive home from the surf yesterday, we talked about how you should have been there too. You would most certainly would have caught that long awaited legal surf Flattie. The time will come my friend, it's going to happen, no doubt about it! Thanks for the PM my friend and I'm lloking forward to our schedule aligning once again. :Wink:

Wow...... What a GREAT fish Arthur!

Since my dad passed away, I feel like I'm going in a million different directions everyday, and I know you understand about me having to be there for my mom almost 24/7....., but I wish I had been there with you yesterday when you caught that beast!

I know I've turned down a million invitations to head out fishing with you, but not once was it because I didn't want to go.....

I can't believe what you've accomplished since that first day when we headed out for your very first surf fishing adventure..... now, a couple hundred+ (maybe even more) halibuts later...... another PB for you!

Couldn't happen to a better person! CONGRATS MAN!

BTW....... we'll head out soon!

Dana
Dana, the way that you handle your present responsibilities is nothing short of remarkable. I see and understand what you're going through my friend. Sometimes, fishing takes a back seat to more important things in life... you are a good son. :Cool:
Now, about the surf fishing thing... I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for this addiction that you have introduced me to. :LOL: I still remember that very first day that I walked into the surf with you and made my first cast... I didnt know the difference between a Perch and a Croaker. :ROFL: Thanks for everything Dana, couldn't have done it without you!

The Godfather showing off his skills in the surf.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/P1000647-1.jpg

A complete newbie with my first ever surf fish. :LOL:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/P1000644-1.jpg

Damn Arthur,

Your posts just keep getting better and better! Congrats on your PB! With all the work you put in, you deserve it and the new PB is just around the corner I'm sure!

_Bullets
Thanks Greg, I always believe that if you work hard for something... everything will fall into place and you will eventually get what you want. :Cool: See you at Legends III.

That fish was the big Tylenol pill that took away all your headaches for the week Art. Congrats my friend, yes you were fishing by yourself, but not alone. :Cool:
Ain't that the truth Vincent, and I didn't even need a prescription for it. :Wink:

Truly an epic day! No doubt! You lucky Bass-trard!
You're right about that... I got "luck" wrapped around my finger. :Wink:

No one deserves it more than YOU, Arthur! Congrats
Thanks Omar, wow, I invoke a response from the most reclusive Pirate. :Cool:

Arthur, INCREDIBLE OUTING!!!!! I am so glad to hear that the "Spot" was able to produce so many PBs for you in one day. You are a great friend and you truly deserved an epic session after a horrible week and all the effort you have put into fishing the surf. It couldn't have happened to a better guy. I knew that the Spot was good, but it showed its true potential when you fished it. Karma probably played a small part in this as well. After what happened on our first trip, you were due for a good day there. :Wink:

Glad to see that big girl was doing all right too if it was the same flatty.

The swell report for this weekend is annoying though since my dad and I were planning to hit up the "Spot" on Saturday or Sunday. After seeing this report, I can hardly wait for next weekend to roll around. :Big Grin:

Hope to get out and hit the surf again with you soon!

-Marc
It was good timing Marc... everything just seemed to fall into place, almost felt like it was meant for me to be there at that moment... I can't really explain it, it was just a feeling that I had all day and didn't act on it until I was pushed to the brink. Marc, I have to thank you and your Dad once again for sharing that spot with me. You guys didn't have to do so, but you did, and I appreciate that very much. :Cool: Let's hope the conditions settles down by next weekend so we can get back out there again. We'll keep in touch this coming week to see if our schedules will allow us to fish together next Sunday. :Wink:

"The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day working" But it didn't turn out as the worst fishing day to you, brother. Big congats on the PB and glad to see that you forgot all the stress for a good part of the day.
I agree with that assessment. Thanks bro, the stress did melt away with the surf. :Cool:

You are truley blessed as we are to have you part of this great forum. Thx for making my day bro. Hope 2 cya soon
Thanks Rob, you always have something nice to say and I appreciate that. I will see you at Legends III. :Big Grin:

Dude. Arthur!
That 40" is right around the corner baby! Don't stop! :Shocked: You are on to something. You're gonna cream 40" one day man.
Amazing! Awesome! I am green with envy but I know you deserve it!
Beautiful fish man. Just beautiful.

I had an idea that the flatties might sense the bad surf coming and feed up before the weekend. Looks like my hunch may have been correct!
Thanks Casey, one of these days, my goal is to be accepted in the 40 inch+ Hali Club. I can't even imagine what fighting a Beast like that would feel like, but I'm looking forward to it. :Twisted: You're probably right on with that hunch Casey, makes perfect sense.

I can't tell you how many days I have done exactly what you described to keep my sanity through my love of the water. And it's quite special to have those personel moments on the water so you can try to make a story that others might believe. That, my friend is the gist of fishing. Your mental scrapbook is getting fuller. Kudo's to you for having the presence to remember your camera, and share this experience with us. Mikey
Thanks Mikey, we need to fish together one of these days and not by just running into each other in the surf. I know that I can learn much from you. :Cool:

:EyePop: WOW :Shocked: is all i can say... :UDaMan:
Wow, is what I said on the drive home... over and over again... wow.

WOW ARTHUR WHAT CAN I SAY, THE BEST REPORT EVER FROM THE BEST!!!!!!:Beer Toast::Dancing Banana::Beer Toast::Dancing Banana::Beer Toast::Dancing Banana:. JUST WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN WITH YOU, AGAIN, CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHN
Thanks John! I hope you got that beautiful boat of your running perfectly again. It's time to take it and kill some Stripers! :Twisted:

Amazing report!! Congrats on the PB!!
Thank you very much.

That is no joke a beautiful fish Arthur. :Shocked: I agree, there was someone else there fishing at your side, and it's not Poseidon. :Cool:
I agree Nhat, the Man upstairs, with a wave of his hand, pushed the Halibut towards the beach and within my reach...

Congrats on the PB!
Uh oh, I'm in trouble now... the Flatties hired a high powered attorney to protect them. :Twisted:

Now that's hilarious!

Three legals on Sunday, five legals yesterday. Eight legals in a five day period from the surf, amazing. :Shocked: Hey Bones, you got some catching up to do!!! Good luck on your striper trip this weekend bro. Those halibut are lucky that you prefer striper meat.
Actually, it's eight legals in two days Binh. :LOL: Mike & I aren't even keeping score anymore. As competitive as we are, we always root for each other to do well and disappointed when one or the other doesn't. Striper is just about the only fish that I keep to eat. They tastes great and there's plenty of them around.

Congrats Buddy! Couldn't happen to a better person. You are walking proof of karma...that is all I have to say!!!!
Thanks Chris... when karma comes knocking, always offer him a seat. :Wink:

Freakin sweet, I'd love to see the flatties doing that let alone get in on the action, thats one thing I have not witnessed yet is an airborne flatfish.

Sweet personal best and one hell uv an outing....uge congrats on besting that snaggle toothed critter !

I like the story, not that it even takes much but it makes me want to get out and fish right now !

What a wonderfull reward on a stressfull day...fishing itself is a reward but add those fishies and it's "Priceless !"

Funny, your heading to the lakes this weekend and I'm hitting the surf, despite the rough surf predictions.....

I'm pounding it anyway but who'll know what may prevail and what the outcome will be....maybe a skunk ?

OR Maybe not !

Time will tell but another huge congrats to you Arthur on a fine outing !

SWEET !
Gary

P.S.
I know that feeling of when you speak to yourself in your head on a trophy fish...all sorts of things go through your head, fortunately you remained calm and just worked 'em through...that's the best when you do it and have success...sometimes the feesh win...this time victory was yours !
I remember the first time I saw a Flattie go airborn... it totally freaked me out. I saw it, but my brain didn't register it right away because it was so out of the ordinary. I knew what I just saw, but still couldn't believe it... until it happened again a short while later. Then after talking to a few veteran surf fishermen, I come to find out that it actually was somewhat a common occurrance when aggressive Halibut chases baitfish.
I hope you aren't serious about hitting the surf this weekend Gary. :Shocked: But good luck wherever you go... make them bleed!

Wingnut
07-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Congrats on your PB Arthur! Now go back to work :ROFL:.

KPN.
Already back at work Khanh... working on the next PB that is. :Wink:

Right place right time!!!:Big Grin:
Yes sir, just following your lead from your last report. :Big Grin:

Holy crap dude! :Shocked: You produce more flatties from shore than most people produce by boat. I thought it was suppose to be the other way around. :Confused: LOL!

Your fishing skills are impressive. 19 flatties in 2 hours! Congrats on an epic day and PB hali. :Cool:
Thanks Jason, but honestly, there's not much skills involved casting into a fish boil. :LOL: The skills comes into play when the bite is tough and you have to actively go out there to find the fish and look for the bite. Trying to get the fish to bite when they're not willing to play. That's truly earning your stripes in the surf. Running into a hot bite from time to time is just a bonus. :Wink:

Arthur,

All I can say is WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Steve
Thanks buddy, there's one out there waiting for you too my friend. :Cool:

Good Lord, that must have been a sight to see Art. I was fishing in the surf next to you last year and we saw some Flatties clear the water but this sounds much more intense. :Shocked: Good luck seems to follow you wherever you go buddy and you've proved it time and time again. People speak of karma and I do believe that they're right. But most of them don't even know half of the things that you do to earn that karma, and I'm not even talking about releasing all of your fish. :Wink: The generosity that you show to others and just being an all around nice guy warrants the gifts that the Man above bestows on you my friend. Don't ever change. Even on a bad week you manage to turn it to a possitive, we all should be so lucky. :Cool: Looking forward to fishing with you tomorrow! :Dancing Banana:
What goes around comes around Phuong... we're all intertwined in one way or another. :Cool: I finally get a chance to fish with you again, it been way overdue... see you in a few hours. It's about one in the morning, you're probably fast asleep... I can't seem to sleep well the night before a big outing. :Wink:

steve
Hey, let the man do whatever he wants Steve... he is contributing to MY future kids college funds! :Big Smile:

Keep trying Phuong, you might win one of these days. You know what they say, the sun does shine on a Dog's butt once in awhile. :ROFL:

Phoung!!!!!!

Now you gave him early warning to bring his Snorkel Gear!!!!!!!!

All bets are on you Arthur!!!!!!:ROFL:

I bet Dana can Photo shop Superman in an underwater shot in snorkel gear with a DD Striper in his jaws!!!!!

End Of Thread Jack!!!!

Have a great day out there turning Bob's Boat RED!!!!!

Steve
The snorkel gear is packed and ready to go! :Twisted: Bring it on Phuong!

very impressive arthur! congrats on the sweeeeet PB! :Not Worthy:

twice already (this week) i heard "Wingnut" pop up in a conversation with guys who don't even belong to online fishing forums talk about your great feats on the surf. I showed my "little bro" your old posts and now HE wans to catch a halibut! keep up the good work buddy, your posts are an inspiration to us all! :Wink:

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. Take your little brother out and get him on his first Flattie... he will love it and be hooked for life. :Big Grin: I was inspired by those who have walked in the surf long before I set foot on the sand with a rod in my hand. :Cool:

39 congrats so far Arthur............Helloooooooooooooooo............ Is this going to be a record multi quote for ya buddy.......Where are ya at OH HUMBLE MASTER OF THE SURF ?

Went to MDR tonight and caught ONE spottie by the canal.......There......How do ya like them apples....LOL

MMMMMMM....Might try to catch ONE more tomorrow!

I predict a 10 page thread comming!

END THREAD JACK!!
So you couldn't resist getting out there somewhere after all. :Wink:
Here I am replying to posts when I have to hit the road to kill some Stripers in just a few hours. Maybe I can sleep on Bob's boat... :LOL:

Incredible catch. Hope your pup is ok.
Wingnut Pug is fine... just needed some medicated eardrops. Thank you very much for asking. :Cool: Good luck out there.

Dang it Arthur, I understand your pain.......But you did the best thing to relieve your stress.........fish!!! BTW, I had a similar week myself and am going to get out somewhere this weekend and fish off the stress. Guess I have to skip the surf, but plan on it next weekend when the water settles down. I love to see the bait breaching, you just know something very good is after it. Think of me next time you need a little fish stress relief. Can't match your skill, but you will have someone to brag and show off too.........pass the Karma lol........OFG
Hope you rid yourself of the stress soon Chris. You are right, fishing is the best medicine. :Big Grin: Too bad we had to cancel the surf event, I was looking forward to seeing all of you guys again. We'll meet up at Legends III for sure! You got it, karma sent, on the way to you. :Wink:

troutdog
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
What a great post....capped off by a BEAUTIFUL fish. It seems kind of ironic to have caught this beast prior to the conditions we are experiencing, dude I am so stoked for you! It seriously could not have hapened to a more generous and deserving individual. I am wondering if this trip would have been made if this weekend didn't go South on us. While I was bummed Saturday had to be postponed, this seemed to make up for it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the board Arthur, you are truely an asset to FNN...keep up the good work and the awesome posts, I'm already looking forward to your thread about the 36 inch hali! :Wink:

TD

Native Gal
07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
WN,
Congrats on the Epic Day, the final count was incredible. Loved the PB Hali, SWEET indeed :Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:.
Glad you and WNPug are o.k. after one crazy week. Way to go on hitting the surf to relieve the stress of the week. The Kelpless pix in the last post had me thinking that you do a special Hali dance to call in the Hali's, hmmm!!!
Soooo, you have an opening at work? Do you give out C-Stix's for bonuses? Where do we submit our resume's? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:,ROFL.
Take care.
NG
:Big Grin:

CASTAWAY
07-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Wow Arthur, what a great report/catches. Congrats on the PB
Hali. A successful session indeed.....

TroutOnly
07-25-2009, 09:41 PM
ALL THAT GOOD STUFF MADE ALL THE BAD STUFF JUST GO RIGHT AWAY, MR FLATTIE HAD YEILD TO THE WINGNUT,WAY TO GO ARTHUR,ITS THAT OLD SAYIN TOO YOUVE GOT TO PAY YOURE DUES IF YOU WANT TO SING THE BLUES,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Wingnut
07-25-2009, 09:43 PM
What a great post....capped off by a BEAUTIFUL fish. It seems kind of ironic to have caught this beast prior to the conditions we are experiencing, dude I am so stoked for you! It seriously could not have hapened to a more generous and deserving individual. I am wondering if this trip would have been made if this weekend didn't go South on us. While I was bummed Saturday had to be postponed, this seemed to make up for it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the board Arthur, you are truely an asset to FNN...keep up the good work and the awesome posts, I'm already looking forward to your thread about the 36 inch hali! :Wink:

TD
Aaron, to answer you truthfully, I don't think that I would have made that trip on Thursday evening if the Surf Event was a go. As bad as my week was going, I would have waited until the weekend to hit the surf and relieve the pent-up stress. But with the event being cancelled, I had nothing to look forward to... I had to make that special trip to save my sanity. :LOL:
Strange how a handful of things had to happen which led up to my decision to go... it was someone's grand design written on a "Divine" blueprint. :Cool: Thanks for the acknowledgement Aaron, I appreciate that. Yes, I'm looking forward to a 36", but I really have my eyes on the ultra-exclusive 40" Hali Club. :LOL: :Wink: :Big Grin:

WN,
Congrats on the Epic Day, the final count was incredible. Loved the PB Hali, SWEET indeed :Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:.
Glad you and WNPug are o.k. after one crazy week. Way to go on hitting the surf to relieve the stress of the week. The Kelpless pix in the last post had me thinking that you do a special Hali dance to call in the Hali's, hmmm!!!
Soooo, you have an opening at work? Do you give out C-Stix's for bonuses? Where do we submit our resume's? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:,ROFL.
Take care.
NG
:Big Grin:
You are too funny NG, your posts never fails to bring a smile to my face. :Big Grin: Have fun fishing tomorrow, hope you & Mike enjoy your time together. :Cool:

Wow Arthur, what a great report/catches. Congrats on the PB
Hali. A successful session indeed.....
Thanks Tony, hope you're killing them out there yourself. :Cool:

ALL THAT GOOD STUFF MADE ALL THE BAD STUFF JUST GO RIGHT AWAY, MR FLATTIE HAD YEILD TO THE WINGNUT,WAY TO GO ARTHUR,ITS THAT OLD SAYIN TOO YOUVE GOT TO PAY YOURE DUES IF YOU WANT TO SING THE BLUES,,,,,,,,,,,t/o
Right on Bob! I had a great time killing Stripers with you today, triple limits is always nice! Go to sleep Uncle Bob, we have another long day of slaying tomorrow! :Wink: If we do good tomorrow, I'll buy you a ticket to go to the "Burning Man" Festival, so you can go to that parade Phuong was talking about! :ROFL:

hoosierfisher
07-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Simply Awesome.... You've created a loyal and dedicated following there Arthur. Along with others, I wait to see your next chapter in "Wingnut masters pacific hali ground"

I wish I had more time to get out there... For now, I'll have to settle with your postings.. LOL

bsp
07-25-2009, 10:49 PM
It was good timing Marc... everything just seemed to fall into place, almost felt like it was meant for me to be there at that moment... I can't really explain it, it was just a feeling that I had all day and didn't act on it until I was pushed to the brink. Marc, I have to thank you and your Dad once again for sharing that spot with me. You guys didn't have to do so, but you did, and I appreciate that very much. :Cool: Let's hope the conditions settles down by next weekend so we can get back out there again. We'll keep in touch this coming week to see if our schedules will allow us to fish together next Sunday. :Wink:

That feeling is rare, but an incredible one once it comes. You just know that on each cast you are going to get bit, and the pattern has perfectly fallen into place. Arthur, don't mention it. As I said, you deserved this day. My dad and I only lay the groundwork, but you took the initiative and capitalized on it. I plan to find a some more spots like this soon, and maybe we can recon one of them once we hit the surf again. Hope to see you next Sunday!

BingJr
07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow, what a day.

Top water halibut! Awesome. It sounds like they would have come up and hit a dog walker today in the surf. Maybe something to add to your todo list for the surf! Maybe a sammy or something would do the trick.

What an epic and memorable day. Great job again my friend!

crizq0
07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
That is a monster halibut! I want to catch one....more than one some day!

Good job on releasing it! Looking forward to more epic posts from you!

Wingnut
07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Simply Awesome.... You've created a loyal and dedicated following there Arthur. Along with others, I wait to see your next chapter in "Wingnut masters pacific hali ground"

I wish I had more time to get out there... For now, I'll have to settle with your postings.. LOL
Thank you, but ai don't think I'll be challenging any Pacific Halibut on the high seas any time soon. :Wink:

That feeling is rare, but an incredible one once it comes. You just know that on each cast you are going to get bit, and the pattern has perfectly fallen into place. Arthur, don't mention it. As I said, you deserved this day. My dad and I only lay the groundwork, but you took the initiative and capitalized on it. I plan to find a some more spots like this soon, and maybe we can recon one of them once we hit the surf again. Hope to see you next Sunday!
Thanks again Marc, we will definitely get together and recom some new areas soon. :Cool:

Wow, what a day.

Top water halibut! Awesome. It sounds like they would have come up and hit a dog walker today in the surf. Maybe something to add to your todo list for the surf! Maybe a sammy or something would do the trick.

What an epic and memorable day. Great job again my friend!
Thanks Binger, I'll see you at Legends III. :Cool:

That is a monster halibut! I want to catch one....more than one some day!

Good job on releasing it! Looking forward to more epic posts from you!
Thank you, it was a fun report to write. :Big Grin: