PDA

View Full Version : Wearing waders while kayaking?

Darius
07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Hello all from Los Angeles, CA i'm sure all of you are somewhat locals which make this site unique. I have a thought floating around, i was wondering what is your perspective on wearing waders while kayaking to keep dry, from being sun burn etc? My concern is, if i were to flip over i would be a dead anchor, with all the water flowing into my wader? On the other hand, i hate getting wet, whatever i do, plugging the skupper holes, i always accumulate some water where my butt is at, and it sucks! tell me what you think about wearing waders on a kayak. thanks.

cappo
07-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I always wear mine in the colder months, but in summer just use shorts and alot of sunscreen. I have yet to flip over while wearing the waders. I would recommend a waist belt to minimize the amount of water coming inside the waders if you did happen to flip into the water.

Darius
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks cappo :Wink:, so that is what the belt is for on the wader?

mammoth xfactor
07-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Paddle pants and booties when it's colder. Shorts when it's warm. REI, sports chalet, most kayak stores have them. Waders= bad ju-ju.
Rob
www.mammothkayaks.com

Nessie Hunter
07-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I did some research when I first started to Float Tube, on waders filled with water...
Also one reason I went with ODC Tube.. It has Two main bladders and easy to reach fill valves. Just in case!!!

The conclusion I came to was that water is neutrally buoyant, and will 'not' pull you down if the waders fill up..
BUT, you will weight about twice as much and wont be able to climb out of the water onto, say a Yak or boat etc... You will be to heavy...
Yaking you are much further from shore (potentially) then a Tube also..

With a Tube you also have fins on and can swim to an exit point (shore, dock etc) much easier...

I would not recommend full waders for Yaking at all..
Maybe some rain gear or ?? to stay dry (or cut cuffs/feet off waders to drain any water if they fill up)???
Wet suit??? man what a hassle (on & off), and they leak (WET!!!! suit)....

My 2 cents!!!

Darius
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I will consider the water proof shorts, etc. Let me look into it, thanks for the advices team.

LBSea
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
You WILL NOT sink to the bottom if you flip your yak with waders on. I DID NOT READ THIS ANYWHERE AND THIS IS NOT WHAT I HEARD!!! I am living proof as I flipped my fully loaded, 5 hoops & bait, yak two years ago while lobster hooping out of Redondo's Kings Harbor in December. It does however make it hard to get out of the water and I was wearing a fleece jacket and the water that the jacket absorbed was more of a challenge than the water that went into my waders. I did have someone with me to assist and without that person I would have been SOL. The shock of December water temps was my biggest problem; the shock of cold water takes the air right out of your lungs and makes it hard to get a good breath. And NO I did not have a wader belt.

But to reiterate You WILL NOT sink to the bottom!

Doug

Darius
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
thanks Doug, for your very informative response. It's nice to hear hands on experience, so do you still wear waders while kayaking after your experience? Also, do YOU suggest wearing waders? After this i plan on wearing waders until i can fork up enough money to buy some water proof water pants, whatever you call it.

Skyler
07-24-2009, 07:41 PM
It's no big deal kayaking with waders, just make sure to get waders that fit you well. No clown pants, lol. LBSea is correct. I have also done it, repeatedly, intentionally, in my pool, lol. You can swim just fine in waders, you just weigh a bit more.

Darius
07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
thanks alot fellas.

LBSea
07-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Darius,
Yes, I am still wearing waders when kayaking in winter time. I also tube much more due to a bad lower back and I always wear my waders to do that.

Here is the deal, during the winter while kayaking and always while tubing, fresh or ocean, I wear waders. During the summer on a kayak it gets too hot so I opt. for shorts & a long sleeve shirt with or without a wind breaker. I have been burned pretty good, even after lathering up with sun screen, and I am 1/2 mexican! I have since gotten a long sleeve rash guard vs. a cotton long sleeve shirt. I have seen guides in Florida & Costa Rica use rash guards to block the suns rays. Layering is the key! I have a CHEAP parka from Old Navy that folds into itself, so I pack this all the time. The rest is seasonal.

Hit me up when in the LBC and I will be glad to show you a few of my spots.

Doug

Darius
07-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Doug, i'll take you up on that offer, but i dont think my kayak is sea worthy.

bassgrandslam
07-25-2009, 01:40 PM
"White River" breathable waist high waders. boot and stocking.

jkverania
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
i have reservations about using waders too... I'm pretty new to the kayak fishing community (and kayaking in general)...

Im not too concerned about wearing waders and flipping the yak in open water, but i'm more concerned about wearing waders and flipping the yak over in the surf... even with a pfd... waders seem kind of dangerous in the surf zone... but i could be wrong...

Skyler
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
i have reservations about using waders too... I'm pretty new to the kayak fishing community (and kayaking in general)...

Im not too concerned about wearing waders and flipping the yak in open water, but i'm more concerned about wearing waders and flipping the yak over in the surf... even with a pfd... waders seem kind of dangerous in the surf zone... but i could be wrong...

In the surf, it's especially important to wear properly fitted waders and a wader belt. I've been knocked over in the surf in waders at least 30 times. In fact, I don't even know why I wear 'em anymore. I always seem to fall in and get wet anyways, lol. If you are wearing waders too large for you, or are not wearing your belt, they will act like a parachute and intensify the surf's effects when hit from the right angle. I found out the hard way while wearing a pair of XL's that I borrowed from my brother, lol.