PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 7-22 Part II

etaggart
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
OK - the wife had pitty on me and I got out at 6pm near the dam for some early evening tubing to see if I could get the skunk off from the 4 hours kayak/fly fishing (and not catching) in the morning. Took Seal's advice and worked a dark fly - an olive matuka.

Picked up a 8" dink at 6:30, missed a solid hit a bit later. Got the matuka stuck on the bottom and lost it - switched to a dark purple wooly bugger. Landed a solid 16" about 7 and a nice 17" 15 minutes later. Missed one other light hit and got off the water just after 8. Every hit was fairly high in the water and close to my tube. I guess they were coming up from a hot day down deep and sleepy. Also assume the trouties look up and see the dark pattern against the light sky. I'm thinking of working dark flys more often in the future.

Saw another tuber who'd also picked up 3 by the time I talked to him. Not sure how many he ended with.

Someone mentioned the construction as a possible cause for bad fishing this year. Could be something to it, but it's been slow fishing for me all year, even before the construction started. Not sure how sensitive the trouties are to noise, but the early evening conditions were awesome. Too bad it couldn't last longer.

Gotta get back to reality, but should be back up the hill in a couple of weekends.

Also gotta get a cheapo digital camera to get more pix. I keep my Treo in a floating case (already lost one to the lake gods!) and I can't use the camera. Any suggestions are welcome.

ET