PDA

View Full Version : Caples 7/13 and 7/18

chimp
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Fished there on 7/12/09 for the 1st time. Arrived at 8am at the spillway and caught and released 15 pansized rainbows and brookies in a couple of hours. Hooked a large rainbow, estimated at 12 to 13lbs on a flourecent red Berkley trout worm. Got the fish close to the shore where it proceeded to get airborne. It proceded to make a long run parallel to the shore where it promptly snapped my 2lb test.

Fished there again on 7/18/09. Arrived at the splillway at 7am. The fishing wasn't as good as on the 12th as I only caught a total of 6 fish, an assortment of one rainbow, three brookies and 1 brown along with one large rainbow that weighed in at 12lbs 7oz. The small trout were caught on a red Berkley trout worm and the big trout was caught on a 3/4" salt and pepper tube jig rigged on a 1/64th oz jighead and 2lb test. Those big Nebraska bows fight like no other planter rainbow that I have ever caught. Can't wait to fish it again in August.

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/dsci0127r.jpg/

http://img43.imageshack.us/i/dsci0135.jpg/

gman444
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
lol i think i may have found one of your tiny minijigs there. Does it have little red and black flakes in it? That would be a cool coincidence :ROFL:

billy b
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Just drove by Caples once when it was near empty in the winter

Where's the spillway? Are you guys fishing the West end? I recall a dark red Berkley worm ... but not fluorescent. Is it new?

Shoreman
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
There are 2 "dams" on Caples. The small one or the one on the west side is the spillway. The bigger one on the East side is the actual dam.

chimp
07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Are you guys fishing the West end? I recall a dark red Berkley worm ... but not fluorescent. Is it new?

The spillway is the at the 1st parking area on the west end of Caples. There is a walkway where you can fish right above the spillway. I was fishing on the rocky bank just east of there.
The flourescent red power worm is just a dark red color, but for some reason Berkley labels it flourescent. The trout there really like the red worm. I tried chartreuse, natural brown, rootbeer, pink, june bug and orange worms and the the red outfished all the other colors by far.

Chimp