PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 7-21

etaggart
07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Hit it again early - on the water by 6:30am. Started tubing near the dam area. Great conditions, but no bites! Not a single one in 4 hours! Tried multiple flies, down deep, in the middle, up top. No luck! Also had another pole with pb and/or gulp with and without gulp worms hanging at 10-20ft under a bobber.

Went back out in the afternoon to the Observatory and let the wind blow me down to Juniper Point. Got a couple of small bumps and at one point my bobber picked up a 1lb catfish. Otherwise ... nada!

Sheesh! What's a guy gotta do to get a trout around here? Go to a restaurant?

Not the best catching, but still beautiful weather and scenery.

ET

seal
07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Hit it again early - on the water by 6:30am. Started tubing near the dam area. Great conditions, but no bites! Not a single one in 4 hours! Tried multiple flies, down deep, in the middle, up top. No luck! Also had another pole with pb and/or gulp with and without gulp worms hanging at 10-20ft under a bobber.

Went back out in the afternoon to the Observatory and let the wind blow me down to Juniper Point. Got a couple of small bumps and at one point my bobber picked up a 1lb catfish. Otherwise ... nada!

Sheesh! What's a guy gotta do to get a trout around here? Go to a restaurant?

Not the best catching, but still beautiful weather and scenery.

ET

Nighttime! Don't know why it's been so funky up there. Last year this time of the year it was doing really well even amongst all the pontoon boats partying in the middle of the day. Hopefully a better fall bite.

Did you tube across the lake and try the points and coves over by that oriental looking cabin on the island?

etaggart
07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Seal,

Yeah, I worked Garstin Island pretty hard around mid-morning hoping for some bass or crappie, only got a few light bumps. Beautiful weeds and points, though. I should try meeting up with someone on the boards here who's got it wired to get some pointers in person.

Nightime tubing .. dangerous? Do you do something for lights? Gotta think about that one! Do you just stay within the 5mph markers and fish by moonlight?

Thanks,

ET

seal
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Seal,

Yeah, I worked Garstin Island pretty hard around mid-morning hoping for some bass or crappie, only got a few light bumps. Beautiful weeds and points, though. I should try meeting up with someone on the boards here who's got it wired to get some pointers in person.

Nightime tubing .. dangerous? Do you do something for lights? Gotta think about that one! Do you just stay within the 5mph markers and fish by moonlight?

Thanks,

ET

A couple of headlamps and those little light sticks and stay in those 5mph bouys and your good to go.

Man didn't know the name of that island, thanks! I'll let you know if I get up there, but don't know if I'd be any help it sure sounds like your using the correct stuff.

Everyone I talk to says it's been slow up there compared to normal so hopefully conditions will improve.