PDA

View Full Version : Camping & fishing at san gabriel river

foxter
07-22-2009, 07:36 AM
The family and I are taking a couple month's off from desert riding.I heard mixed results about this place,but the picture's look tempting.1st question is.How's the fishing with the plant's being stopped until 2010,and 2nd is there camping that you can access by driving up by car or in my case truck! lol.Thank's any info is appreciated........

DCCTrouserTrout
07-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Most people just camp on the side of the road up there... ha ha You aren't going to get on many fish either. First of all, there are no stockers left in the river and second, there are tons of people swimming in the river. You can catch some wild trout on the fly rod or a spinning combo with a little spinner but you will have to do some hiking and get away from the crowds... and I would highly recommend releasing these wild trout, especially since you wont even get many over 8 inches or so...

DccFISHerMan
07-22-2009, 10:22 AM
lol take a gun with you, sketchy people up there!

foxter
07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
wow! It's that bad huh.Doesn't seem like a good spot after all.The pics look good for cali though.I'll probably go up for a hike and scope it out.Thank's for the heads up......

AnglerBob
07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
I used to go up there quite a bit. I never had any problem with anybody but there are some sketchy characters for sure. However, this is mostly limited to beer-fueled bathing parties in the pools closest to the parking area. Walk a 1/2 mile down the paved access road, and you'll likely have much of the river to yourself.

A better way, though: brink a bike (doesn't have to be a mtn bike), a pack rod and minimal tackle and it's an easy ride all the way back to Cogswell Reservoir.

I'd try a day trip here before investing a camping excursion, it wouldn't be worth it to me to camp there, especially with no more stockers. As others have said, the wild trout are only 8" long mostly. Pretty to look at though, and fun to catch.

foxter
07-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I guess the santa ana river is sounding like a better choice! LOL I was hoping this would be a decent spot since it's not far from me since I'm from whittier:Sad:,but than again I never been there either.I'll just have to look into it......

Darius
07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Parts of the San Gabriel River is horrible! Trash, and tagging. The sad part is, the S.G. river was actually really nice. So above all, pack your heat, and find a nice place to camp. And watch out for the dumb looking cholo's that destroyed the place, they may want to mess with you.

foxter
07-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Parts of the San Gabriel River is horrible! Trash, and tagging. The sad part is, the S.G. river was actually really nice. So above all, pack your heat, and find a nice place to camp. And watch out for the dumb looking cholo's that destroyed the place, they may want to mess with you.

Damn low-life's screw everything up.I'll just bring my hunting gear and go residental hunting:ROFL: lol

Darius
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
i'm sure you got my message man. I'm not lying when the DFG stocked that place, the fishing and environment is awesome minus, the trash, empty beer bottles, tagging, and bullshit like that. I'm seeing this more and more makes me gotdam sick.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Havnt been up there for quite a few years.

No driving in, U must hike, no stockers left at this time o season but there are native trout, I'd recommend going past the 3 mile marker which used to be barbless only but U better check on that, I've caught many a fine trout back there and spent many nice weekends camping there, the further you go back in the 6 mile run the better fishing and the more seclusion u'll find.

I used to fly fish mainly but a few times I used bait or lures, a small silver wobble rite or kastmaster works or a small splitshot and a red worm on a #18 egg hook will get them

Never had a problem there but like I said, I havent been there for a few years

Hit it up, it';s nice back there.

Gary

Cangler
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
There have been warnings on a gold panning board i belong to , that
the east fork has been getting really nasty

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
p.s>
west fork ONLY !

smalweld
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
FYI if you are on the West fork, past the second bridge there is barbless and no bait regs in effect. Please use only barbless lures or flies and let the native's live another day. But it is fun to catch the sub 6 inch fish. Also if you do the same on the East Fork... Hike past all of the _______(insert name of choice), then you will get to some of the nicer pools that hold lots of natives around with a holdover or two if you are lucky. For me I prefer the East Fork.. The water runs clearer than the West Fork.

Sean

old pudd fisher
07-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Like Gary said it is real nice back thier at the west fork but you have to hike in for miles and it's all up hill you can't drive it. And if you park and camp off the road it's just nuts with people.

foxter
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Thank's for the info guy's.It's appreciated.I think I'll check it out before i was to take my kid's.I think I will definately be packin.I think it sound's better to just fish for the day.....

Darius
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Have fun, be aware make sure your rod doesnt get caught up on anything.