PDA

View Full Version : hun flats 7/21

supasportkid
07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
my lil bro and i took out my buddy for his 1st saltwater fishing experience because he is moving out of state in 2 days. even though he only boated 3 cudas, he wishes he wouldve done this years ago. we left lb bait co about 5:30 am with a half scoop of dines/chovies. we headed to the flats. there is so much bait in the water from here to there. i thought i seen some boils, so we trolled a little bit here and there. there wasnt to many boats out on the flats when we got there, so we started fishin near a few workin birds. we didnt get nothin the first hour. then my buddy lands a nice one on the sardine. after that the party boats show up and turn the bite on with all the chum. we all landed a few here and there with a few shorts being thrown back. it was very foggy out for a while. but when the fog cleared, the whole fleet was there gettin some! we lost so many nice fish at the boat, some due to my weak gaff skillz, others because of light line. i made a few good gaff shots, and line grabs to land some nice ones for them. but i need more practice, im still kind of use to party boat fishin, jus callin for the gaff instead of using it much. anyways, the bait we got at the reciever was all very poor, and pretty much all died very early. so i got a few on the iron. then another on a fresh dead chovy. we left there at 12:30 for a smooth fast ride back. my bro had a bad day landing 2, i landed 5 and my buddy landed 3. thanks for reading. go get um!

a pic of our 2 biggest each

a pic of the fish box about an hour and a half before we left (we only added a few more after the pic was took)

ghetto dad
07-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice job man...lemme give you some advice....for barracuda, get yourself a LARGE double trolling hook, grind barbs off.....wrap it on a gaff blank (whatever you choose)....those are EXCELLENT to gaff barracuda with man...

GD

supasportkid
07-24-2009, 10:05 AM
thanks for the advice GD. that woulda help land lots more fish.

JapanRon
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi supasportkid,

Shoulda thrown out some trashed plastics for the heck of it too !! Poor buddy .... don't worry .... folks that have lived in California often can't stay away and seem to always at least visit !!

JapanRon

pokerface12
07-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Nice work out there. I'm glad everyone got a chance to pull on some fish.

CudaChaser
07-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Good fishing out there and rewarded with some fine fish. Sorry about the poor bait but glad the iron worked out. Thanks for the report.

CudaChaser