PDA

View Full Version : San Diego - 7/20

webmaster
07-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I heard some rumors that the albacore were biting fairly close to San Diego so my friend John and I took the F/V Keilani out for some offshore adventure.

Launched at 5:30 am and picked up a nice 1/2 scoop of sardines from E. Bros. (If you want a good scoop, I recommend paying in advance with tip included.) The plan was to head out to the 230 bank and start trolling SW.

About 10 miles out John says, "Are you ready for breakfast?" I said sure and then he goes into the cabin and pulls out a little portable stove and frying pan and starts cooking up egg, ham, and cheese sandwiches on sourdough!

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/jeff/breakfast.jpg
So after an awesome breakfast, we get about 20 miles out and I spot a fishy looking paddy. We throw out some sardines and after a short soak I got a good hit but he ran me right into the kelp and broke off before we could back down on him.`We continue on and get to the 230 then start trolling, and trolling, and switching colors, and trolling some more. About 11:00 I spot a small paddy the size of a pizza box so I told John to pull in the trollers there is a paddy ahead! We get up to it and John says "you made reel in all the rods for that?" I says you never know, and sure enough we get a double hookup on jumping dorado. Johns came unbottuned, but I landed mine, a nice 10 pound hen.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/jeff/dodo10.jpg
After that its more trolling, trolling, trolling. Sometime in the afternoon we spot massive foamers of bluefin tuna. They were very shy and would sink down fast, but several times we were able to cast a bait within 10 yards of the boils and not one hit. Gave that up after about an hour and back to trolling, trolling, trolling.

Got some reports on the radio that there were a couple ablacore biting at the 224 which was about 7 miles from us. We decided to pull in the trollers and give it one last try in that area before we head in. About 3 miles from the spot I spotted another nice paddy. This time it was Johns turn with a nice yellowtail about 15 pounds.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/jeff/yellow1.jpg

Got to the 224 and found several boats drift fishing the area. We tried the same for about an hour and then called it a day and headed in. Weather was excellent which always makes a nice day even if the fishing was scratchy.

Fisherman57
07-21-2009, 04:49 PM
AWESOME Jeff!

Egg, ham & cheese on sourdough!
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!..........Yee Haw! LOL!

Small paddy gives up a nice little Dorado, and a yellow! Good eye!

No banana on board photo this week?
See ya soon!

Dana

TShaffer
07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Great report man. Sorry about the tuna no sho but it sounds like you had a blast.

sansou
07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Nice hen and tail! Good job guys! The Keilani is a fishy machine!

With the water finally clearing up around the islands it won't be long before those rocks start producing some solid action again.

supasportkid
07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
nice dodo and yellow! that meal looks good too! nice report

Greg Madrigal
07-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey you sure gave it the ol college try! Nice job on the exotic! Too bad on the shy BFT. Thanks for the pics!

GM<<><

flopps1
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Catching dodo's sure is fun! Great job on the catch and nice reporting!

Wingnut
07-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Cool little trip Jeff... we're gonna head out together soon. :Wink: :Cool: