PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Help

Mojave River Angler
07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I want to head up to BBL for some evening action on the west end. I've never been down there so I'm a little anxious about finding parking/fishning spots at night.

Can someone give me some clues about where I can get lake shore access and parking. I'll be coming up from the desert side of the mountain. I don't mind a little walk. I just don't want to get chased off of private property, or a parking ticket.

Anybody else headed up late in the week or on the weekend? I'ts 107 out here in Barstow today and I need a break from the heat some time this week. We can't even turn the cooler off at night now...global warming, you know...hee hee.:Wink:

MRA

DEADROOTS
07-21-2009, 02:22 PM
There are plenty of spots that you could park and fish from your tailgate. Just ask around when you get up there or even call the local ranger and ask where such an area would be. Ive fished all over and could never remember the names of the different areas in the lake but if you go to the lake from the 210-330 side of the lake you should come to a fork at the dam, go left and you will see plenty of fishable areas. Plenty of trout catfish and carp. rainbow powerbait for the trout, chicken liver\anchovies... for cats, corn dough or cereal for the carp, and the all mighty worm for every thing with gills in the water including salmon, goby, bass, and panfish.

If you catch any carp that you don't plan to keep, it's kinda sad, just leave them on the shore. The locals and rangers will appreciate it, they actually encourage people to do so. The rangers were offering bounties on the carp... I think it was a quarter per... but not anymore! they couldn't afford it or something... that's what I heard.

I hope this helps.

DR

WARRIORMIKE
07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Watch your speed and obey all traffic laws up there. We were there about a week ago and some Highway patrol officer was giving tickets away like he had to meet a quota or something :Shocked:

Mojave River Angler
07-22-2009, 07:15 AM
I'll keep my eyes peeled for them. I hate the fact that the citizenry must become criminal in order for the state to balance the budget.

Thanks for the heads up.

MRA

HANG'IN ONE
07-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Mike they were just watching you since you have that "criminal" look ya hoodlum:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

yzernie
07-22-2009, 07:50 AM
I've always had decent luck by the observatory. Last time it was a rainbow over 4 pounds.

Mojave River Angler
07-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Turns out the family voted for the Kern River and Lake Isabella for the weekend. I'll put BB back on the list for next weekend, or Sunday night.

MRA