PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Maui?

eagleeyes
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
We'll be going to maui (Kaanapali and Wailea areas) in August and was wondering if anyone has recommendations on the following. We've been to Maui few times already but looking to mix it up a bit this time.

1) local eateries - like plate lunches, etc. someone mentioned Okazuya on one of the posts.
2) snorkeling spots - other than boats you pay
3) running trails - around Kaanapali and wailea areas
4) more importantly, surf fishing spots or charter boat names. What can you catch on charter boats in August?

Thanks much,
Steve

Wingnut
07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
My recommendation is to take me with you, so I can show you guys first hand where to go. :LOL: Ha ha, have a great time Steve! :Envious: I wonder if there are any Halibut in the surf there. :Wink:

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Check out my post from a while back...........
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=11185

The local eateries I went to was a small fish market with a small restaurant in Kaanapali just north of Kekaa Dr. and Kualapa Loop in a small strip mall.....great fish tacos!
If you like chinese food, the China Boat farther up Kekaa Dr. has very authentic chinese food with great service and prices.....definately a MUST !
For snorkeling, if you take Honoapiilani Hwy. north of Kaanapali, past the town of Napili, you'll soon start to see nice coves or bays with crystal blue water. I think it's Makulela and Honolua Bays. You'll see them from the Hwy. Another good place to snorkel is off the beaches in Lahaina.
Summertime offshore fishing is at it's best, ahi, wahoo, marlin, and mahi mahi will be there to catch.
Have a great trip and take plenty of pics !
Mahalo
TTFM

dixoncider
07-21-2009, 03:49 PM
If you like Poke salad. the Pukalani foodland has some of the best.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pukalani+foodland&sll=20.804583,-156.375961&sspn=0.243912,0.528374&ie=UTF8&cd=1&t=h&ll=20.838318,-156.342766&spn=0.015241,0.033023&z=16

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Another great eatery....after you land at the Maui Airport you'll probably be hungry....so on your way north to Kaanapali make a slight detour and head east on Hana Hwy to a small town called Paia. When you get into the town of Paia there's a 76 Station on your left, and just across the street (your right side)on the corner there's a small restaurant with outside seating that has great food. I think the street at the corner is Baldwin Ave. Also take a walk up Baldwin Ave and check out the shop names....you'll be surprised at this one shop, it's called The Hemp House with a cool sign outside the shop. And always carry your digital camera for these shots!
I'm sure I'll remember more of the places you want to know about, but as the mind grows older...........
TTFM

eagleeyes
07-23-2009, 07:39 AM
My recommendation is to take me with you, so I can show you guys first hand where to go. :LOL: Ha ha, have a great time Steve! :Envious: I wonder if there are any Halibut in the surf there. :Wink:

Come on by, Arthur! Maybe, you can catch a Hawaiian beauty out there... The ones with two legs that is. :Wink:

JL
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Just returned from Honolulu. My daugher married there last saturday. We booked a charter with Live Bait Sport Fishing. About an hour up the north side opposite the north shore in Wailea. Shannon Frazier is the Cap / boat owner. One of the best on the island for getting his clients on fish. We were on the water by 5:45 am on Sunday July 19. Marlin areas were extremely rough with very high sea so he took us to catch bait and then to a bouy area he knows well for Mahi Mahi (Dorado for the So Cal folks) 4 of us had 17 fish on and brought 15 on the boat. Range from 15 - 23 lbs. All caught in the first 2 hours. We then moved to troll for large Tuna but could not bring them up. We worked at for 2 hours. Still very good day on the water. Cost about $700 plus tips and you can keep only abour 40 lbs of your catch. the rest goes to the crew to auction off for their "pay" on the boat. www-live=bait.com 808.696.1604 You might mention to Shannon that JL his wife and 2 sons were on the boat on the 19th and caught 15 fish. He may remember and work with you on the price as a referral. You can PM me if you like and I will send your info to him directly. Everyone calls this boat the fish killer.
August should still be good for marlin, tuna and mahi mahi. Don't go to the boat that are in the harbor in honolulu they troll all day with no fish just to get your money. And if they do want to make an effort to get fish they take you to the Waelea area to fish.

Hope this helps. Sometime next week look on the Salt water fish reports. I will be posting our pictures of the catch.

Loggoog
07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
definite great lunch area would be Okazuya & Deli in Honokowai, and the always good Aloha Mixed Plate. The traditional Hawaiian cuisine, and not a tourist trap. Another great place for a quick grab would be up in Kapalua called the Honolua General Store. The deli and food there is delicious and cooked right there. Again, not a tourist gag. Definitely Sansei Sushi is the best spot on Maui for a great evening dinner. Food is phenominal, like the Panko Crusted Ahi...

Snorkel spot is definitely Honokiana Cove, the bay south of Napili Bay. Absolutely amazing clarity, very few snorkelers, and turtles galore!! Honolua Bay can be excessively crowded, and this little getaway is the prime spot. Another spot is what is known as "Stair Beach", named after the endless stairs winding through the rain forest to get to this amazing snorkeling spot. A few bays above Kapalua. Cruise up and down Lower Honoapi'ilani and see all the little bays around, that are absolutely amazing, and are not as crowded as Black Rock or Honolua.

Surf Fishing Spots!!!! PLEASE check out Honokeana Cove. You do a double header: great snorkeling, AND awesome fishing. Fish either at the entrance through the Honokeana Cove Condo complex, or head up one complex to Napili Surf, and enter through the west side for some deeper water action for Papio or U'lua, and goatfish as well. I also fish Kapalua, which produces great fishing results, but gotta go early! before the tourists get angry. Fish off to the left side. NO FISHING Honolua or beaches North of Kapalua. State reserves.

Charter boats in August will be targeting O'no or Marlin. O'no are amazing fighters, and you will most likely troll the backside of Lanai.

Good luck!, Aloha and Mahalo!

-Loggoog