PDA

View Full Version : what's there to do in june lake loop?

kaiyasdad
07-21-2009, 07:24 AM
heading up there with my family on a last minute trip for a week. besides fishing everyday, which i would normally do, what are some other things that would be fun for the family. my wife and 6 year old daughter are coming along. thanks.

johnsfishing
07-21-2009, 07:46 AM
A few years ago there was a horseback riding thing close to Grant Lake, I believe.
Have fun checking out the area,

johnsfishing

J-hook
07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
The wife will want the vehicle to go shopping in Mammoth. There's jewelry stores there, you know. Send the kid on a scavenger hunt, she'll be gone for 5 or 6 hours! This leaves you room to fish more. Kidding! I'm just kidding.

Seriously, Mono Lake is pretty close for sightseeing and I think there's docent led tours there. Photography there. Give the kid a cheap-o disposable camera for the outing and let her tinker with it. My topo map shows trails around "Fern Creek" and "Yost Creek" that go to Yost Lake for a hike. There's another by Silver Lake that shows a route to Agnew Lake for some hiking. I've seen bike riders around the June Lake Loop, so there might be bike rentals. Are you ready for a bike ride at 7500'? :Shocked: See if the ski lifts are open for an off-season ride. Just an idea. Go on a hunt, and find out why they call it "Reverse Peak" and why the different lakes have their names.

Oh, you need to go shopping at the "men's jewelry store". There's some lures and different shiney things like that you have to have (as momentos of the trip, you see). :Big Grin:

Flying
07-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Swim beaches a June Lake.

Picnic/Kiddie Park at Gull Lake. If you are lucky you can get a fishing spot there to.

Just take drives. Everything is close once you get up there.

Tioga Pass/Yosemite. You don't have to go all the way to the valley to see neat things.

Like J-hook said Mono Lake is cool. Theres a fairly new Mono Lake museum now just off 395 which was nice.

Bodie ghost town. Maybe be pretty hot right now though.

Go to Mammoth for Giovanni's Pizza:Envious:
Mammoth Mountain has their lifts open for site seeing.
Bus/tram rides down to Devils post pile and Rainbow Falls starts from there too.

flybug
07-21-2009, 08:18 PM
There's also the YARTS bus, (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System bus), which has two stops in June Lake Loop, click here for map:

http://www.yarts.com/maps/stops.pdf

If you're out fishing, that'll pick them up and take them down to the valley floor, or to Tuolumne Meadows for hikes and sight seeing, nice museum in Yosemite as well as lots to see and do.