PDA

View Full Version : June lake loop

bstolton
07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Heading up in sept. and our usual place is booked. need some recomendations, its the wife and I and the dog, so that limits our choices. anybody stayed at Gull lake lodge or fern creek lodge? also heard there is a trail head near silver lake resort that takes u to a back country lake, anybody done this hike?

Thanks Bill

Flying
07-21-2009, 01:16 AM
My buddy stayed at Whispering pines. Its between Gull and Silver. They have a pet friendly room(at least back then).

I've taken the trail to Parker lake. Its not too bad for us flatlanders. Its 1.5 miles and the first part is kinda hard and hot but mellows out after that. Me and the wife have done it twice. Next time I won't even bother bringing fishing gear. Once you get up there you'll be looking more than fishing. This trail starts above Grant Lake and about half way up there was a side trail with a sign that said Silver Lake.

There the other trail that goes to Agnew,Gem and others. Never done it.

bstolton
07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
whispering pines states no pets no exceptions so they must have changed there policy. I see that pine cliff resort has trailers that u can rent, i know the campground looks nice anybody stayed in one of the trailers it seems to cheap to be any good?

Flying
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Yea that was about 15 years ago.

I wouldn't recommend the Pine Cliff trailers. I camped there a lot in the past and seen the trailers. Just like their websites says they are old and considered camping trailers.I know their staff is real bitchy about the cleaning on check out too. I'm sure they don't allow pets in them either.

Gull Lake lodge looks nice. Its pretty close to the lake. I tried getting a room there once(with wife and dog too) but they were booked solid and this was for late Sept. Must be pretty popular. Don't wait too long to book. I'm not sure if they only had a few pet rooms or just a few no pet rooms.

peterl
07-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I am trying to plan a last minute trip to June Lake also the week of Aug 10th. We like to stay at Lake Fron Cabins, but they are booked.

I am looking for a place for my family of 5 to stay too.

I would like to camp (tent trailer) but my wife thinks that our baby (13 months) is too young and will just eat dirt :-)

Let me know what you find out and where you decide to stay.

Pete

sumo
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
hey eveybody you might want to try craiglist on finding a place to stay or call the locals there to see if they might know somebody who is renting out there place i know i will be there on the 7th of august until the 16th so good fishing to everybody going up there
sumo :EyePop:

flybug
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Try this link, they have tons of availabilities.

http://www.lakerentals.com/lakes/mammoth-lake-ca

Good luck!

bstolton
07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Pete
lake front cabins are nice, I wish they allowed pets. you might try june lake rentals there is a link on the june lake loop website they rent condos, but again no pets. I guess I`m leaning towards gull lake lodge, I can`t find any reviews for fern creek.

Liteweight
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Pete
lake front cabins are nice, I wish they allowed pets. you might try june lake rentals there is a link on the june lake loop website they rent condos, but again no pets. I guess I`m leaning towards gull lake lodge, I can`t find any reviews for fern creek.

My friend has been staying @ Gull Lake Lodge for more years than I can remember (over 20?). I've stayed with him from time to time.
A little over 100 yds to Gull lake shore easy walking when so inclined to shore fish. Also close enough to carry a float tube w/out a problem (been there done that). Always clean, usually a quiet crowd staying there.
Come to think of it, I just remembered, we'll be up there around the 2-3rd week of Sept. also.
My fav when staying up there is Silver Pines Chalet. It is very small (I think 5-6 units) though. I don't know if it is pet friendly though. Also between June and Gull, just two blocks from Gull Lake Lodge.
Recommendations just my opinion.
Hope this helps.
LW

Liteweight
07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
whispering pines states no pets no exceptions so they must have changed there policy. I see that pine cliff resort has trailers that u can rent, i know the campground looks nice anybody stayed in one of the trailers it seems to cheap to be any good?

Ooohhh I just remembered...
I don't remember how I found this site but I always wanted to try it out.

http://www.adventureincamping.com/?gclid=CIzOmp-x6JsCFRwDagodh1Jv5Q

Check it out. Sounded pretty good to me. Just find/book a campsite, bring clothes and food and they do the rest.
LW

bstolton
07-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Ok so I was able to get part of our trip at my usual place and a couple of days at gull lake lodge, which I may still change to a different location. I was wondering if anybody has hiked up to any of the wilderness lakes on the loop. I mean like how far our we talkin about. I see parker and walker lakes which look like they have roads almost there? Then there is agnew and gem lakes which look like a more primative trail? Where can I find info and maps on these hikes, I haven`t had any luck with a google search.

Thanks Bill

Liteweight
07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Ok so I was able to get part of our trip at my usual place and a couple of days at gull lake lodge, which I may still change to a different location. I was wondering if anybody has hiked up to any of the wilderness lakes on the loop. I mean like how far our we talkin about. I see parker and walker lakes which look like they have roads almost there? Then there is agnew and gem lakes which look like a more primative trail? Where can I find info and maps on these hikes, I haven`t had any luck with a google search.

Thanks Bill

Unfortunately I suffer from a back injury so I don't hike (anymore), however my fishing partner hikes when I'm not able to join him (like this weekend).
I believe it is Gem lake that he occasionally hikes up to. The trailhead is near Fern Creek. It's about a mile of steep walking for the first part then the rest is just a gradual grade up to the lake.
Just a heads up on Walker and Parker lakes (I have been up there). They are private roads blocked by locked gates for entry up there. There are private residences up there (think of it as a Gated Community) but you can access the creek and lakes but you have to walk in. We haven't fished the lakes in quite a while, we only usually fish the creeks.
The hikes up to the lakes are pretty easy, just a gradual slope. It's best to get up there early though, the bite shuts down on the creeks about 11a-1p or when the wind comes up (kind of depends) the lakes were similar if I remember correctly.
Tight Lines.
LW

bstolton
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
So Liteweight

How big is gem lake compared to gull lake and would there be goldens in there? Sounds like none of the hikes are that bad but I`m in ok shape, Its more my wife who I am worried about you know. Just want to experiance a back country lake without to much trouble.

Thanks Bill

Liteweight
07-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Check your PM.
LW

brn2fis
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
The trailhead for Agnew starts at Silver Lake resort and should take between 45 minutes to a hour depending on what shape you are in. Hope this helps.

bstolton
08-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Ok so I`m still struggling with the first part of my trip. I can`t decide if I should just stay at gull lake lodge and use the loop as a starting point to go in different directions in the sierras each day. Or try and stay some where different and experience staying in a different location. I like the loop because it is central to every thing, but I have thought about staying at parchers and fishing the bishop creek area or staying at virginia creek settlement and fishing the virginia lakes area. Which area has the best and most easily accessable shore fishing? If I stay at the loop I can just day trip to diiferent areas which I have done in the past and come back and hang at the tiger bar. Man I`m confused, decisions, decisions.
Any suggestions?

Thanks Bill

Liteweight
08-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Ok so I`m still struggling with the first part of my trip. I can`t decide if I should just stay at gull lake lodge and use the loop as a starting point to go in different directions in the sierras each day. Or try and stay some where different and experience staying in a different location. I like the loop because it is central to every thing, but I have thought about staying at parchers and fishing the bishop creek area or staying at virginia creek settlement and fishing the virginia lakes area. Which area has the best and most easily accessable shore fishing? If I stay at the loop I can just day trip to diiferent areas which I have done in the past and come back and hang at the tiger bar. Man I`m confused, decisions, decisions.
Any suggestions?

Thanks Bill

Yeah, I know the feeling. :Confused: Once I decided to stay up in the Sierra's for 10-12 days (trying to avoid weekends). Ended up staying @ Motel 6 in Mammoth for the whole time. I could fish anywhere from the lower O to the E. Walker and everything in between.
I've also been known to camp up @ the Twins for a couple of weeks also.
My justification was that I don't like to pack and unpack. Lose valuable fishing time and your in limbo the day you decide to change locations.
I also have the flexability to fish anywhere from day to day. As I'm sure you're aware, fishing can be good in one place for a couple of days then turn off and another one can go off somewhere else.
I prefer Mammoth cause there are so many fishing shops in case any of my fishing buddies need to restock anything. I also chose Mammoth because there are so many places to eat (if you don't have a kitchenette). Everything from Carl's Jr. to all the higher end restaurants. Nic 'n' Willies' :Big Grin: is also my favorite for pizza (for the last 15+ years).
Don't get me wrong I also like the June Loop also. When I want to get away crowds I'll stay there. It is much prettier throughout the whole area (especially the campsites along the shore of Gull Lake and the Silver Lake campgrounds).
In the end it just depends on your own preference.
LW

bstolton
08-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok if any body is going to be up in the sierras the week of the 14th thru the 19th let me know. Maybe we can hook up for some fishin or just barbeque and beer drinkin. I`ll be in the june lake loop most of the time.

bill