PDA

View Full Version : Skunked in NPH Saturday

jle714
07-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I rented a 1/2 AM skiff with a few friends and we got skunked. We went to the bait barge, PCH bridge and various spots in between. I looked around and didn't seem anyone had any action either. I was using swimbait but since that didnt work, I paid $20 for some sardines and that didn't produce any action either. I am eager to go back out there to bounce back. Anyone else go out this saturday and had better luck in NPH?

Rooster
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I heard it was slow Saturday as well. But then again that was coming from Maverick & we all know how his fishing skillz :ROFL: J/K Chris ...

Tides look alot better for this weekend... Should be really good

Poxy Boggards
07-20-2009, 03:49 PM
The tides were a bit rough on Saturday with a large swing between the high and low tide. I was out there with Lunker Lover in his Skiff, the bait barge was pretty much packed in with Skiffs. We searched several spots before landing on a decent bite. We ended up with Several nice Spotties, but they were tough to come by on Saturday.

You'll get em next time! Tight Lines.

boxl0bster
07-20-2009, 06:57 PM
nice try man. next time make sure the tides are good before heading out to increase your chances of getting on the fish. :Wink:

KevinJALax
07-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I went on Saturday, and an OKAY fishing session. I've seen better.. Regardless, hopefully it'll be better next saturday.:Cool:

calico killer kevin
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
^^^Shut up Kevin, you farmed every big bite you got, so you had your chance.:ROFL:

Saturday was actually a little slower than normal and all the bites were very, very subtle. Have to really be paying attention to feel the bite and even my new PB spottie's bite was minute. Report when I'm not too lazy.

Rot8
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
I hate when you get to the bait barrage and they only have sardines and no achovies. You have already invested in a half day rental and there is no turning back. You have to have anchovies to have a decent chance at any fish in the bay from my experience. Is there any way to call ahead to find out if the barrage is holding anchovies on any given day?

Rot8

pineapple express
07-20-2009, 11:21 PM
sorry to hear about your skunker outting. my son & i fished the bay on sunday
from 11:00am - 2:30pm. we did ok. we used live smelt which my son caught
with a shibiki rig. lost 6 major hook ups after a short battle snapping my #12
like it was nothing. broke out the #40 rig & landed a nice #20 class bat ray.
just wanted to see what was kicking our behinds. better luck next time jle714...
be persistant. we've had many days like yours & it won't be the last either.
mahaloz for sharing.

MAVERICK27
07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I fished there saturday as well. It was unusually slow. My dad and i went. We managed a few bass and a a couple cuda near the barge and several bass, two sharks and a small ray at another spot. The problem with the sardines, especially on a slow day....cut them into thirds, you will have a lot better luck. There typically werent big enough fish biting that can get that bait in thier mouth. I cut them into thirds for bass and in half for sharks and rays. Give that a shot next time. I'm no pro, just letting you know what has worked for me.

Rooster.....very funny...no really...it was...:)

i also ran into mike gardner (world recognized coastal fishing expert. He said he had a slow day as well with 72 bass on the boat just outside the harbor!!!

sonarbp
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I hate when you get to the bait barrage and they only have sardines and no achovies. You have already invested in a half day rental and there is no turning back. You have to have anchovies to have a decent chance at any fish in the bay from my experience. Is there any way to call ahead to find out if the barrage is holding anchovies on any given day?Rot8

Hey Rot8......you will have better luck with plastics and Gulp compaired to live bait in NPH. Give the Gulp a shot and try and use light line.

sonarbp

flyngby
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
It was a tough day out there for the Spotted Fever as well on Tue 7/21.

Better luck next trip!!!!

Don't give up as there are slow moments at any fishing hole it just makes you work harder next time!!!!!!

Steve

Rot8
07-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Son-

I will give the plastics a shot. That will give me a good backup. Thanks for the tip.

deanhall32
07-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Gotta hand it to you for posting up even when you get skunked. It's a good way to let everyone know about what is going on. I know a few FNNers that only post up when they catch fish....

TroutOnly
07-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Too bad,,,,,,,,,