PDA

View Full Version : Going on the SeaHorse, need some help!

James<626>
07-18-2009, 12:06 AM
This is my first real thread so bare with me. I'm going out for the first time on a boat on sat. 7/25. I guess u can say it's a 3/4 day. My uncles work is having a company fishing trip & he asked me & my cousin to join him. Of course I said yes being that I've been wanting 2 go out for so long but haven't got around 2 do it. He said we would be on the SeaHorse. I usually fish local park lakes & the piers but I'm not to good at it. That's why I never post anything up. U can say I'm a rookie that needs some training. I don't know what to use out there so I figured I'd ask the pros here on FNN. I have a deep sea rod that holds 15-25lb line. Is that good enough? I'm gonna go get a reel probably this weekend but didn't want 2 spend 2 much on it being I'm just a rook & that I just started working again after a 4 month break. Would $100 get me something ok to use? I prefer a spining reel. What kind & size line should I get? I really don't wanna be snappin off. What kind of hooks , weights, etc. Do I use or stock up on??? Should I take my reg. set up that has a 10lb line on it?? What do u guys recommend me getting or using that can guarantee me a catch. Remember I'm a rook so don't talk 2 me in big fishing words:Big Grin: Please help. Thanks guys...

Eyethautunew
07-18-2009, 02:59 AM
I recommend you just renting a rod and saving your cash. Let them know when you check in you need a rental, and some hooks and weights. They always sell you what you need when your targeting a specific fish. Dont go out and buy new stuff, just ask for their hooks and weights baggy. The reason Im saying this, is because if your not out on the cattle boats alot, then why waste money on gear you wont use. If your already fishing lakes and piers, then you have what you need to keep at it. Get the rental spinning rod with the hooks and weights, and let the deck hands set your line up. They are there to help you. have fun and good luck.

James<626>
07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Renting one didn't even come to mind. As far as the hooks & weights there, I thought they probably be a lot more but since u said the deck hands are a lot of help they would be able to guide me in the right direction with that. Thanks for all you're help. It is greatly appreciated.

Ricky-Ray
07-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Are you sure it's a 3/4 day??? Usually the Seahorse is an overnight boat. If fishing a 3/4 day trip then a 20/25 # setup should do just fine. You'll probably need some hooks from size 1-3/0 depending on the bait and some sliding egg sinkers from 1/4oz to 3/4oz and some torpedo sinkers from 4-8oz. That should cover you for just about anything wherever the boat decides to go to. If it's an overnight trip I'd bring some torpedo's up to 12oz.

If you don't feel like buying everything check with the landing the day you get there and ask them what's been biting and what tackle they recommend. Most landing shops will have some pre packaged tackel with some hooks and sinkers in there ready to go and the deckhands can assist with that too.

Good luck out there.

spooks
07-19-2009, 05:23 PM
This is out of Pierpoint Landing own web site I would add a few heavier torpedo sinkers

James Tani's Tackle Tips

James Tani's Tackle Tips
Recommendations for 1 1/2 and 2 Day Trips
Fishing for Bluefin Tuna, Albacore and Yellowtail.

Equipment
Line: 20 lb to 40 lb test
Hook Size: 4, 2, 1/0 to 3/0
Trolling: 60 lb to 80 lb test
Trolling Feather Colors:
Dark Colors for overcast weather
Purple & Black, Green & Black, Rootbeer.
Bright Colors for sunny weather
Mexican Flag, Dorado, Zucchini, Pink, Red & White.

Recommendations for 1/2 and 3/4 Day Trips
Fishing for Calico Bass, Sand Bass, Barracuda, Sheephead & Perch.

Equipment
Line: 12 lb to 40 lb test
Hook Size: 2, 4, & 1/0
Jigs for Barracuda in the following colors
Blue & White, Scrambled Egg, & Dorado.
Plastic Lures for Bass - Blams, Worm Kings, & Hammer Tails.
Colors - Green & Brown Bait.
Leadheads: 3/8 oz to 1 1/2 oz.
When using live bait the following sinkers are suggested
1/8 oz to 1/2 oz Egg Sinkers
3 oz to 4 oz Torpedo Weight on dropper loops.

James<626>
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Ricky & Spooks. Very helpfull information...

jplee3
07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Good advice all around!

The Seahorse has a great crew so you'll be taken care of. Just make sure you follow your line and don't let it go limp or slack. You always want to make sure you can feel the bottom - this takes some practice and getting used to.

Also, make sure you know your knots: a few important knots on the boat: palomar knot, dropper loop, cinch knot.

Other tips: try using a reverse dropper loop. Hook is on the bottom and weight is attached to the loop (regular dropper loop has the weight on the bottom and hook on the loop). Give circle hooks a try too - no need to set the hook... just reel in steady once you know the fish is latched on and the hook will set itself.

As far as a reel/rod goes. If you see yourself getting more into open party/overnighters, I'd invest in a decent setup - at least the reel first. I started off with an Avet SX and eventually picked up a Seeker American to go with it. Roughly $300 for the entire setup including the braid backing. It's a good investment. Just make sure you get some use out of it!

BTW: You can totally do spinning if you want. It's actually a bit more challenging especially when you hook up on a nice yellow. It may end up being a harder fight too...