PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 7/16. Bass & Dinks. PIC.

Eat Sleep Fish
07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Fished the upper today on a rental. Before heading out, threw crawlers into the boils for 4 LMB in less than 2 hours. The bass have been putting on a show at the launch ramp in the morning hours. Headed out towards the spot on the ski arm around 8:15. Fished it for two hours with nothing but a short bite and a buzz. Headed to the buoy line, which is really only a couple of buoys around that big orange barrel now. Tied up, send down the baits. Fished it for 2 hours. Caught one dink stripey, threw him back. Back to the original spot for a possible afternoon bite...fished it up and down, drifted, and again...nothing. Back to the buoy line. Fished for a 1/2 hour, got too hot. Beached the boat in a close by cove. Took a swim, cooled off and back to the buoy line. Dropped the baits, within 2 minutes...bam...bam....FISH ON! I can tell he's a better model. Came up pretty quick but when I grabbed the net...wack!!, hook comes out of his mouth. About a 3.5 to 4 pound fish. Told myself maybe the bite is gonna start. It is already about 4 pm at this point. So I'm thinking afternoon bite...nope! One more dink and another miss hit and that was it. A lot of dinks out there. That's mostly what I saw people get today. Saw one guy with a 7 pounder and another with a 4. Other than that, DINKFEST 09!

FISH COUNT:
4 Largemouth Bass
2 Dink Striped Bass (1/2 pound)
1 Nicer Striped Bass LOST!

Took a pic of one of the bass. They were all about the same size. Didn't even bother to take a pic of the dink stripers. Good Luck to all!

-ESF

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww118/andrenersesian/100_1887.jpg

CAPT'N
07-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Good report ESF,

have not seen much from you lately.

Bet it was really hot today.

The dinks have been on overdrive, but the larger models top come out to play now and then.

Capt'n

Liteweight
07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Congrats on the LMB catch.
Sorry you lost that one strippeee at the net.
You'll get 'em next time.
LW

soe18a49
07-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Nice LMB, even the small ones are fun!

vagabond
07-19-2009, 07:00 PM
nice fish count and good going on beating the heat also..