PDA

View Full Version : Best Halibut Spot IN OC/LA/SD?

AHM-kon
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Where is the Best Halibut Spot IN OC/LA/SD?

Fisherman57
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Wherever "Wingnut" is fishing! LOL!

Actually, since the species is found in many different areas all up and down the coast, you'll find that once you put in some time and effort you'll develop your own best halibut spots.

There's lots of great information on this site and if you take the time to review some of the reports posted here by other members, you'll soon start to zero in on what areas are better than others, what types of lures and tackle work best, and all sorts of other great information.

Do your "homework" and soon you'll be the one that members are asking for advice from....
Good luck out there and we'll look forward to your first report! Thanks!

troutdog
07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Try any sandy beach adjacent to structure such as rocks or kelp. Not trying to be rude, but to be honest you need put in the time and not really expect anyone to divulge their secret spot. My advice especially if you are new to the game is establish some relationships on the board, ask questions about techniques if need be, go fishing with fellow members and post a report or two....

I wish you good luck and look forward to your reports, welcome to the board btw!

TD

victor101
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Romy beach

sliu6122
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
SMFD Bay would be your best bet in finding some halibut

Oz
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
heres a great halibut spot...........

http://www.allenbrothers.com/fish.html

Cangler
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
VC rules !

bsp
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM

The one that you find yourself that becomes your hidden gem that you share with good friends who respect it for what it is and don't thrash it.

Don't expect to get a specific spot until you have kind of proven yourself. As TD said, not trying to be rude, but the best spots take a lot of time/effort to find and learn effectively, and most guys, myself included, aren't going to give them up to just anybody. It takes a while to build up that level of trust, so don't expect incredible information from people who hardly know you.

Most people will tell you how to find your own though.

As a general rule, halibut like calm areas (small waves or no waves) with structure nearby to ambush bait fish. Structure can be kelp, boiler rocks, jetties, pier pilings, eel grass beds, riptides, holes, and troughs in the sand. All these can be found by taking a few minutes to look at the beach before fishing. The presence of bait fish is also good indicator of halibut or other predatory fish. If bait can be seen puddling on the surface or in the waves, chances are halibut will be actively feeding. Sometimes you'll even see halibut go air born!

Some things to think about when scouting an area are:

If I were a halibut, where would the best place be to put myself to ambush bait with the least amount of effort? Is there access to an escape route nearby in case I get spooked? Where are there the most options for cover (an area that combines cover types is preferable to one that does not)?

Lure selection is pretty basic. You are either tossing a dropshot rig or a jerkbait (usually a Flash minnow 110 by Lucky Craft). Most guys start off with the LC to cover water and see how halibut are feeding, and then switch to the dropshot to work the area more thoroughly. Dropshot Zoom Flukes and Gulp! Baitfish with a 1/4oz to 1/2oz weight. A 3in Big Hammer or Pearl swimbait will also work at times. Use baitfish colors for all of these like Smelt, Anchovy, and Sardine.

With this info, you should be able to find your own spot. Remember: Look for ambush sites (structure), an escape route, and hopefully some baitfish presence all in an area with minimal waves. On an open beach, this usually means fishing near jetties, riptides, and holes or troughs. On a calm beach, this means fishing near visible depressions, eel grass beds, kelp, and boiler rocks.

Remember to ask questions if you need some help. There are a lot of talented halibut fishermen on this board, and they'll help you out.

Good Luck!