PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Wide Open Calicos 7/15/09

Jackpot Jimmy
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Yesterday, I decided to hop on the Tradition out of Redondo Sportfishing for a 3/4 day run to Catalina. After getting a yellow on Sunday, I wanted to try for another one. We boarded the boat for a 6am departure. Our crew consisted of Captain Steven Konrady, Shawn in the galley, and Morgon on deck. After giving us a quick safety rundown, Steven said we would be meeting the bait boat down south, and depending how far we would meet it, he would decide whether to go to the island or down the Huntington Flats. We met it not too far down, and loaded on some great looking anchovies in addition to some sardines already on the boat. Steven then decided to head across the pond.

After a great breakfast and a nap, the island was in sight, and we were ready to fish. The first couple of spots definitely had potential, but Barffy the Wonder Dog had other plans for us. We managed to put on a few barracuda, some bass, and a couple of bonito, and saw a spot of breezing yellows. Fed up with the "Fidos", Steven made a run up the island, and set us up on some great calico bass fishing. A quarter ounce slider with a #2 hook and an anchovy was the ticket, but people fishing plastics got some nicer quality bass. Plastics like grubs, whams, swimbaits, and jerkits were all getting bit by these ferocious bass. I tried the surface iron, but for some reason, the bass did not want it, even on a jig that requires a slow wind.

With around 125 bass and a few others, we headed for the barn. Jackpot went to regular angler Ray Mesina with a nice barracuda, and all went home with smiles and full sacks. The fishing is heating up at the island, some come on out and fish. Great times, great fishing!

cappo
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a good day Jimmy.
Did you post a report of your yellow? I must of missed it.

Jackpot Jimmy
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a good day Jimmy.
Did you post a report of your yellow? I must of missed it.

Here it is, Juan.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=35861

ghetto dad
07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Good job Jimmy Lopreste.....the best color for me the last few years has been the mint/white for the calicos.....

GD

Liteliner
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Nice job jimmy. Wish I was on that trip. Need to jump on there again soon. Im craving for those killer burritos... Thanks for the report man..

vagabond
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
very nice report jackpot jimmy,i forgot how them calicos look like,its been awhile>>>pics?????:LOL:

murrieta angler
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Great job as usual, How long you been fishing?

deanhall32
07-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Good job Jimmy Lopreste.....the best color for me the last few years has been the mint/white for the calicos.....

GD

Did I miss something or is Jimmy a relative of the owner of the Tradition?

waterpossum
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Great report! Hope to join you in a few days. Smitty

ghetto dad
07-16-2009, 08:44 PM
did i miss something or is jimmy a relative of the owner of the tradition?

drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr

gd

supasportkid
07-17-2009, 09:39 AM
nice read man. yeah i seen you guys out there. you did have a nice pack of dogs around the boat! thanks for your report

megafisher94
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
wheres the pics jimmy??????????

Jackpot Jimmy
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM

GD

Thanks for the info Steve.

Nice job jimmy. Wish I was on that trip. Need to jump on there again soon. Im craving for those killer burritos... Thanks for the report man..

Hope to see you out again, and next time, remember your parking validation!

very nice report jackpot jimmy,i forgot how them calicos look like,its been awhile>>>pics?????:LOL:

Sorry, no pictures this time. I was feeling a little under the weather...

Great job as usual, How long you been fishing?

I've been fishing for about 10 years, 99.9% on party boats.

Great report! Hope to join you in a few days. Smitty

See you out there, Smitty!

JapanRon
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

Way to go on the great day of fishing. It was truly AMAZING to see how many of the moo-moos were out on the Flats Tuesday and Wednesday. Including the New Del Mar !!! Lucky you went to CAT Wednesday as the water was that ugly green and it was few and far between bites ... then only on the 'stinkin' finbait !! ha ha ha

Glad to hear the plastics got some quaity fish as often the smaller fish are quicker off the mark and go for the rubber unless you put the lure right in and on top of the kelp in my recent experience.

Thanks for the great report ..... as a loyal reader .. you get a pass on the pics ... this time !! ha ha

JapanRon