PDA

View Full Version : Crappie at DVL?

cpioutdoors
07-16-2009, 03:04 AM
I am heading up to DVL for the first time this weekend. Found this awesome forum so come here for some advice.

Does anybody happen to know how the crappie fishing is recently? How deep are they now ? Are they reachable from shore?

What's the average size of the crappies at DVL? I am asking because last time I went to Lake Cuyamaca for crappie and caught a lot of them. But all of them are 2-3 inch. Hope that's not the case at DVL

Thanks a lot in advance!

sonarbp
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Better odds for crappie if you fish from a boat. DVL has a nice healthy population of crappie with some getting as large as 3lbs.

Good place to fish for them is the east damn.

good luck

sonarbp

JigStop
07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Try jigs, tipped with crappie nibbles, off the rocks 20-25ft. deep, more shallow in the spring. They hold off the ladders on both dams because the nin-come-poops that built the lake didn't put any structure in so rip-rap is the key. Using minnows will help keep the bluegill and sunfish away, if you only want crappie but the smaller live shad is always best.

Bluegill
07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Try jigs, tipped with crappie nibbles, off the rocks 20-25ft. deep, more shallow in the spring. They hold off the ladders on both dams because the nin-come-poops that built the lake didn't put any structure in so rip-rap is the key. Using minnows will help keep the bluegill and sunfish away, if you only want crappie but the smaller live shad is always best.

2nd that....

Bluegill

RamboBoy
07-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I am heading up to DVL for the first time this weekend. Found this awesome forum so come here for some advice.

Does anybody happen to know how the crappie fishing is recently? How deep are they now ? Are they reachable from shore?

What's the average size of the crappies at DVL? I am asking because last time I went to Lake Cuyamaca for crappie and caught a lot of them. But all of them are 2-3 inch. Hope that's not the case at DVL

Thanks a lot in advance!

I went to the DVL last Sunday. I saw a huge crappies schooling in Saddle Dam and lots of crappies in the stairway, about 5 to 10 feet deep.

Good luck!

cpioutdoors
07-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Better odds for crappie if you fish from a boat. DVL has a nice healthy population of crappie with some getting as large as 3lbs.

Good place to fish for them is the east damn.

good luck

sonarbp

Thank you for the tips, Sonabp!

cpioutdoors
07-17-2009, 02:54 AM

Thanks ,CC。

cpioutdoors
07-17-2009, 02:55 AM
I went to the DVL last Sunday. I saw a huge crappies schooling in Saddle Dam and lost of crappies in the stairway, about 5 to 10 feet deep.

Good luck!

Appreciate the heads up, Rambo.

cpioutdoors
07-17-2009, 02:58 AM
2nd that....

Bluegill

Thank you for chip in , Bluegill. Good luck at Skinner this weekend!

RamboBoy
07-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Appreciate the heads up, Rambo.

No problem! Good luck!

Lunker1979
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Rock Quarry area.......saw a bunch there yesterday

JigStop
07-19-2009, 05:27 PM
If they let us put some big root snag piles along those dams, DVL might be the best crappie lake in the USA. Would be great for the bass too. Don't understand how the guys who built this thing could be clueless. Although, I must admit coming from the midwest, California in general, has a problem. Perris really is going to need some help with Quagga making the water so clear.

Natural Lefty
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I have only caught one Crappie at DVL, but it was from shore, on a jig, and it was about 12 inches long, definitely no 2-3 incher. I also lost a good size one, so they are sometimes reachable from the limited shorefishing area at DVL. I think the month was May or June though, a couple of years ago. I don't go to DVL very often. I think I have gone only twice since the time I caught the Crappie.