PDA

View Full Version : I Am A newbie. Need a couple tips

jimewing2121
07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Jim and I am just starting to really get into fishing. I was doing pier fishing for about 3 months but I just wasn't liking the fish I was getting so, I decided to try out lake fishing.

I have been reading a lot of posts and have noticed that Lake Castaic is very common on here.

I went there just monday and didn't catch anything. I am thinking I was just not using the right bait or something.

I have a few questions.

1. what is the best bait if I am just trying to catch stripper or LMB?
2. How do you "thread" a worm and do I have to do that if i am using worms?
3. Where is the best spot on the lake (castaic) to fish from the shore... I dont have a boat.. yet:Crying:
4. what/ how is the best way to set up your line. As in which hooks and weights to use and where to put them on the line.

Thank you all for just reading and everything.

I am thinking of going friday so if I do I will keep you all posted on how I do.

Jim

bassgrandslam
07-16-2009, 12:00 AM
look a few posts down and read turnyourheads thread. all you really need to know is listed there.

good luck

skylarjames2009
07-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Thats what its all all about Making friends. Fishng is a loving sport no time for pissy !@#$. All that info is great to I have it in my Bible. peaceout
going to eldo park have had some fish on hook there Im not leaving just yet so anyone down and on the way Im picking up members and your your going fishing Im driving from USC area to ELDO S110) TO EAST 105 OR 405TO 605 Call me 323-898-4370 gates open at 6 but she lets people in at 5 let know whos coming :Fishing Hole::Fishing Catch:
look a few posts down and read turnyourheads thread. all you really need to know is listed there.

good luck-323

jimewing2121
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
So i did read that post but I thought that was for fishing off a boat. I dont have a boat and I just wanted to fish off the shore. So I was wondering what bait to use and where to fish.

My biggest question is What set up do I use? How to set up a proper line.

jim

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Please review my comments on post: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=35872

That should help you out

Time on the water though...theres no replacement for that,get out there and try different things...different spots, different depths, line weights.....experiment !

Fishing is not an exact science, sometime you get them...sometimes you don't but one things always constant...

It's always GOOD FUN !

Good luck,
Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
So i did read that post but I thought that was for fishing off a boat. I dont have a boat and I just wanted to fish off the shore. So I was wondering what bait to use and where to fish.

My biggest question is What set up do I use? How to set up a proper line.

jim
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/campfirefinal-miscbasicrigs.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/flylinerig1.jpg

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Simple Basic fishing Rigs and Knots
Compiled by Gary Wuebben 6/25/2009
Friends of Castaic Lake Member

Bluegill: –use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
Redear: - use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
Crappie: - use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
Trout: - use #8- #14 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).
Bass: - use #4 - #6 single baitholder hook (use optional egg sinker in place of splitshot).

Use this rig with misc. live baits (Nightcrawlers, Meal Worms, Red Worms, Wax Worms)

See Diagram Below.


Use this rig as well for all the fish and baits mentioned on previous page.
This rig keeps the bait up off the bottom.

We call it a Surf Rig:

See Diagram Below.


Bobber rig: (this is probably the most common and simple rig)
for
Bluegill – Crappie – Redear –Trout (use all live baits mentioned above)
See Diagram Below.


Floating bait rig for Trout: - use #14 - #18 treble hook with a sliding egg sinker.

12” to 18” leader

Use:
Powerbait
Nitro dough
Floating power eggs (optional real salmon eggs but they wont float)

See Diagram Below.


The Palomar Knot

More Basic rig Diagrams:

Flyline rig; (nightcrawlers)
Use this rig for Bass and other fish (cast very gently or the bait will “whip” off)

With this rig, no weight is used and a #4 or # 6 baitholder hook is tied directly to the end of the line – that’s it !

The picture below depicts hooking the nightcrawler only 1 time and with a regular shank hook, try that too ! (cast gently)
(but I do prefer hooking them twice as in the diagram above)

BUT I suggest hooking the nightcrawler 2 times (as shown in step #1 & 2 above) and use a BAITHOLDER STYLE HOOK (again-cast gently)
(see picture below for baitholder style hook)

NOTE: the 2 small barbs on the shank of the hook (those help keep the bait on the hook)

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
aww, the internal attachments on this doc didnt come out, I'll have to edit and paste links later....cant do it now..

OR: send me a pm with your e-mail and I can send you an 8 page word doc that will tell you how to rig things, tie knots etc.

DocHolliday
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Jim and I am just starting to really get into fishing. I was doing pier fishing for about 3 months but I just wasn't liking the fish I was getting so, I decided to try out lake fishing.

I have been reading a lot of posts and have noticed that Lake Castaic is very common on here.

I went there just monday and didn't catch anything. I am thinking I was just not using the right bait or something.

I have a few questions.

1. what is the best bait if I am just trying to catch stripper or LMB?
2. How do you "thread" a worm and do I have to do that if i am using worms?
3. Where is the best spot on the lake (castaic) to fish from the shore... I dont have a boat.. yet:Crying:
4. what/ how is the best way to set up your line. As in which hooks and weights to use and where to put them on the line.

Thank you all for just reading and everything.

I am thinking of going friday so if I do I will keep you all posted on how I do.

Jim

ok heres a little more direct response for you.

1. For striper, i have always used chunks of anchovie.

2. Threading a worm is like sewing, it involves hooking hte worm multiple times to ensure stability.

3. Never fished at that lake so cant comment, best bet is to ask someone that works there.

4. I like to use a carolina rig when i fish for stripers ( more of a bait and wait kinda guy personally ) but a c-rig is basically an egg sinker not sure what size, but dont go too big, followed by a swivel, followed by about a 12-18" leader and j or circle hook.

I know this probably isnt the best advice, but it has caught me stripers from various lakes, good luck and enjoy.

jimewing2121
07-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Thank you all for all the advice. I will make sure to show off what you guys helped me catch tomorrow.

One last question. :Rolls Eyes: Do I use a bobber or do I just let it sink to the bottom? I am wanting to catch either stripper or bass...

And are there even any trout in the lake? Should i just not use power bait?

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Thank you all for all the advice. I will make sure to show off what you guys helped me catch tomorrow.

One last question. :Rolls Eyes: Do I use a bobber or do I just let it sink to the bottom? I am wanting to catch either stripper or bass...

And are there even any trout in the lake? Should i just not use power bait?

You could try a bobber here or there but Id suggest fishing the bottom zone and the riggings I sent you..

The trout are all gone, the diagram above was a general rigging diagram, you can use that rig for other species just use a single hook instead of a treble.

The water is too warm now for the trout and the stripers or bass have eatin them all up..

power bait is right OUT

jimewing2121
07-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Well if i dont use a bobber what do I do when the fishing are all jumping on the surface?

bassgrandslam
07-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Well if i dont use a bobber what do I do when the fishing are all jumping on the surface?

DUDE!

JUST GO!!!!!!!!!

you will figure it out. thats the best part!

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
DUDE!

JUST GO!!!!!!!!!

you will figure it out. thats the best part!

Word : )

Just go fish, don't overevaluate it...enjoy it....LEARN from the fishing experience, pay attention to why you caught fish or why you didnt etc. if people are successfull near you and you aren't ask questions on the water, some may help you there...

Note:
I didnt say not to use a bobber...I said try it here and there but I wouldn't put all my money on it...at least not if your fishing for sizable fish not bleugill

fish BOILING allot ? throw a lure !

It's hard to answer question that pertain to every scenario and it gets a little taxing, you'll need to get on the water and experience the conditions and adapt while your there, thats what the beauty is of fishing.

It's always a challenge, it's always fun......fish HARD...enjoy
Gary

fisherman from long beach
07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
best advice just read diffrent threads.they xplain everything on almost every kind of fishing.i wasnt to much of a lure guy,mostly bait and wait,now reading theses threads got me buying lures up the ***.went fishing with my cousin he was baitin and i was using lure out fished him 6 to 1.and the 1 he caught was 2in.just try diffrent things ,and enjoy the fact your out fishing.

J. Owen
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
for an beginer try ratl traps long cast fast retrieve
also for bait try anchovies or chicken liver

jimewing2121
07-17-2009, 10:51 PM
So I went fishing this morning from about 830am to about 2 pm.

I DIDNT CATCH ANYTHING:Shocked:

I kind of feel like I am just not doing something right. Now I have gone fishing 5 times and have not caught a fish once. I really just want to catch one.

i am thinking of trying pyramid lake. I hear its pretty nice.

Thank you to everyone for the great advice. I am sure i was just unlucky today.

fisherman from long beach
07-18-2009, 06:58 AM
why dont you try a twilight boat 1/2 day .out of long beach.the sand bass are startin to spawn and theyll find the fish 4sure.just give it a try.45 bucks for fee and if you dont have a license anothet ten bucks.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
07-18-2009, 07:18 AM
So I went fishing this morning from about 830am to about 2 pm.

I DIDNT CATCH ANYTHING:Shocked:

Thank you to everyone for the great advice. I am sure i was just unlucky today.

luck has nothing to do with it bro, i never tell people goodluck when fishing, tru anglers say GOODTIMES. because it's all about presentation and the bait you use..i say next time your anywhere on a lake, hit some one up ask questions you'll never know you might make a new fishing buddy or coach..GOODTIMES BRO..

p.s. take some uppers bro your bringing this thread down..lol..j/k

socalfish
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
you said that you went off the pier for awhile but didnt like the fish. try the harbor you hook up on all sorts of different types of fish. same goes for the harbor sometimes they bite sometimes they dont. i have had success in the harbor lately no keepers but the enjoyment of actually catching! it seems that i have slow times at the lake off the shore as well gets a little frustrating. you will find something that fits you somene mentioned 1/2 day boats lots of fun you will catch and for sure to take some home even if you dont catch deck hands will find a way to get you some fish! Good luck to you!!! i think i will pm for that 8 page doc nice reference guide!!