PDA

View Full Version : Jigs in rock creek?

gettinsome
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Im heading up to rock creek this weekend to hopefully do a little fishing does anybody use jigs there. Im from southern california and thats all I use and usually can do pretty well, just wondering if they work or if i should bust out the fly pole.

jim532
07-16-2009, 08:15 AM
can't see why they wouldn't work if you know how to use them right.
When I fished rock creek, Panther Martin (gold body gold blade) was the magic lure. I did pretty good with lip rippers worms too (red). But I'm sure other stuff like Thomas Bouyant will do well up there. I did amazingly well in some deeper areas with a Lucky Craft SP48 rainbow trout patern. Also caught a few with a Pins Minnow rainbow trout pattern.
Tackle Junkie recomended some other Panther Martin paterns to use up in the sierras a couple weeks ago, so read back a little.

Have fun

cjschock
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Jigs should work in there. use natural colors like grasshopper, pumpkin seed or mocha. I have also had good luck in the sierras on brown trout and rootbeer float.

Rick James
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
news flash!: everyone that fishes the eastern sierras are from southern cali. haha

rusty6
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
i fish the eastern sierras and im from central california...so not EVERYONE is from so cal

christainmetalhead909
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
news flash!: everyone that fishes the eastern sierras are from southern cali. haha

it seems true im from socal and i go up there lol

basschaser
07-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I usually use power worms at Rock creek the natural colors seem to work best

bsp
07-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Im heading up to rock creek this weekend to hopefully do a little fishing does anybody use jigs there. Im from southern california and thats all I use and usually can do pretty well, just wondering if they work or if i should bust out the fly pole.

Every single lure type that is used for trout in southern, central, and northern California is used in the Sierras. Flies, float and fly, Rapalas, mini jigs, trout worms, Powerbait, night crawlers, marshmallows, and salmon roe are all popular and effective ways to catch trout throughout the Sierras. Use what you feel confident in and you should catch a few trout.

Natural colors are nice, but I have caught trout on mini jigs in patterns like chartreuse with red and blue just for fun. Don't make color a big deal. Technique is more important.

popeyoung2
07-17-2009, 07:51 PM
make sure the hook is buried in the egg for me boring fishing but it works great

Skyler
07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
This is the panther martin you want to use. The holographic shad pattern. Pick 'em up here in Socal, as they are hard to find up there...

http://www.panthermartin.com/LureFamily/jpg300/PMH_SGH.jpg

billy b
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
http://www.panthermartin.com/lures/Spinners/HolographicSpinners.aspx

Which size do you like?

Skyler
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.panthermartin.com/lures/Spinners/HolographicSpinners.aspx

Which size do you like?

I use #4's for pretty much everything anymore. They get down in the water column better than the little ones, fish downstream better, and give a thumpier, more feel-able "pulse." The size also helps with casting, and seems to get less line twist than the smaller ones. The little fish will attack 'em just as much as the big ones, too. I only really like the little tiny ones for shallow runs, spooky fish, and real skinny water.