PDA

View Full Version : Native Sun - berth 55 - LBC - 6/24/07

Ray Lopez
06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Well it's been about 3+ years since I have been out in the ocean for some good ol fishing fun. I'm mostly a freshwater kind of guy but I wanted to get my ocean gear wet on Sunday. So I went to berth 55 out in long beach to see what was popping off. I also met Ghetto Dad, awesome to meet you man, you helped me out allot and taught me a good few things I had no clue about. Must fish with you again.

Got there around 4:30am for the 3/4 on the native sun. Got perfect placement on the boat middle of the stern JACKPOT!!!!

We go out for a while and bummer the bait boat did not have anything good so we did not pick up any live bait :cry:

good thing I went to sport chalet the day b-4 and loaded up on some gear.

they said that giant squid are going crazy and to invest in some squid jigs so I bought a few.

we get out to the spot and first thing once we drop anchor people are hooking into the giant squid. So I switch over from my dropper loop and tie on the squid jig and tossed out! First drop BAM huge slam on my Penn long beach medium light rod. HOLY CRAP these things fight hard as hell. Everyone on the boat (about 54) seemed to be hooking up at the same time. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen everyone running around and yelling out "GAF" lol

once the squid slowed down a bit and I only caught 1 and hooked into about 7 (sort of upset about that) we all switched over to the dropper loop and we were tossing out some plastic and some squid strips. I was getting no love on it even tho plenty of people were catching them. Then the squid came back after about an hour or so. Once again it went off with everyone hooking up again lol. I lost a few of my berkly gulp sardines (bit right in half). I switched over to the squid jig again but by the time I got it in the water they had left as fast as they came. BUMMER!

went back to the plastic and ended up catch a nice little sanddab, and then a sculpin woot 3 different things in my bag.

Then the the squid came back again in even fuller force. I hooked into one on a squid jig that took me for the ride of my life. It was pulling line off my reel like you could not believe. It walked me all the way to the side of the boat. Then I look at my reel and see that I have about a 1/4 of my line left, so then I tighten up my drag and start to bring him in little by little. My arms were shaking with the thought of how big this squid is gonna be. I crowd formed near me to watch as I fought this beast for close to 25-30 min's. Then the horrible thing happen, he got off the jig about 40 feet from the boat :cry: . Oh well that sucked but whatever they are still here. Tossed out and caught 1 more and hooked into about 5 more lol but they kept coming off the jig, I think the squid jig was a tad on the small side so it did not grab the squid good enough. Once that died off the captain decided to move about 300 yards from where we were b-4.

Then the actions really begins on the boat. People started hooking into sheep head, white fish, sharks, a red snapper, some random rock fish, sanddabs, sculpin, and random giant squid.

I ended up catching 2 small rock fish tossed them back, caught 3 more sculpin, and one last giant squid that everyone thought I was gonna loose since it was just hooked on a 3/0 owner hook but I got him anyway.

Fishing was great that day, and the fight from the giant squid was well worth it my arms are sore and so are my g/f's arms (she got skunked but hooked into about 10 giant squid.)

everyone on the boat was very nice and polite other then the people that were crowding the stern (they need to stay at there assigned spot damnit)

here are some pics

My biggest squid caught
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/giantsquid.jpg

One of the small rock fish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/smallrockfish.jpg

The total catch for the day
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/thedayscatch.jpg

i think me and the g/f are gonna hit it up again this weekend but not sure yet

JSAUCE818
06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
GOOD ***** RAY!.....THEY SOME UGLY LOOKING S.O.B.'S.....LOL....so your cheating on the lagoon now and hitting the Salt huh?...lol...

Ray Lopez
06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
GOOD ***** RAY!.....THEY SOME UGLY LOOKING S.O.B.'S.....LOL....so your cheating on the lagoon now and hitting the Salt huh?...lol...
The Lagoon is my love
The ocean is my trick :wink:

one_leg
06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Ray, it's nice to see you doing something different for a change.

Are you having calamari for dinner tonight?

One_Leg

victor101
06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
those squid make the sculpin look tiny! good going :thumb: maybe i can catch me one of those soon. what u gonna do with that much squid?
......that sandab looks tasty.....

Wingnut
06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Nice Ray, doing it fresh & salt, good job! :wink:

4g63power
06-25-2007, 07:01 PM
good job!..hope to see more of your saltwater reports in the near future...thanks for the report..lots of calamari to fry now eh?haha

ghetto dad
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
GREAT JOB ray, once again, it was great meeting you bro!!!! sorry we didnt hang out longer, but you were in the stern with 200 people, and i was up in the bow.....i absolutely slayed dem bastards.....2 bukets of sculpin too!! lol...we need to fish together man, i can show you some tricks....lol....let me know about this weekend bro!!!

Ray Lopez
06-25-2007, 07:47 PM
GREAT JOB ray, once again, it was great meeting you bro!!!! sorry we didnt hang out longer, but you were in the stern with 200 people, and i was up in the bow.....i absolutely slayed dem bastards.....2 bukets of sculpin too!! lol...we need to fish together man, i can show you some tricks....lol....let me know about this weekend bro!!!
Gonna wait till tomorrow for the final yes or no

but it looks good that i might be going this weekend, i'll give you a call tomorrow when i know for sure :wink:

and keep me posted man, and i'll try to get my happy butt out to the salt more offten :wink:

Ray Lopez
06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
those squid make the sculpin look tiny! good going :thumb: maybe i can catch me one of those soon. what u gonna do with that much squid?
......that sandab looks tasty.....
Gonna make lots of my co-workers very happy lol :lol:

ghetto dad
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
i hope so man......ill do what i can for you bro....im still waiting for GARY to let me know when he wants to go.....dont forget to get that new reel..i never asked, did it mess up on you at all???

JapanRon
06-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi Roy Lopez,

Good job on the Squid. Nice report and pics.

thanks,

JapanRon

Hitts0n
06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Man I got to get out there for some of that action.I'd use that squid for bait at the upper lake..............lma00 ! C0ngrats!!

Ray Lopez
06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Man I got to get out there for some of that action.I'd use that squid for bait at the upper lake..............lma00 ! C0ngrats!!
trust me i will be, i have so much in my freezer you have no idea lol.