PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on homemade anchors?

Darius
07-14-2009, 03:32 PM
okay, i got a kayak now, now i have on my mind to make an anchor. What do you guys suggest, on a anchor, i almost want to spend zero dollars. :Wink:

Darius
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
i have several things i dug up in my garage, i have rope, cinder blocks, car jacks the support not the actual jack that goes up n down. I think my best bet it the half cinder block. What do you guys think?

cappo
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
you can try using some 5# weights (not dumbbells) from your bodybuilding days. Try to use something that wont take up too much space

matt duarte
07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
do you weld? it wouldnt be hard to cut some small tubes and weld them like a grafling hook..

now that i think about it i have some 1" thin wall DOM tubing lieing around....maybe ill try to tinker around with this idea... you dont want to have to kick around all the extra weight of a cinder block or some weights... i think something that would dig itself into the ground would be better...

BIGRED KILLA
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Go on You tube it is easy to make one anything that is heavy.good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2K9poM6yk

Bigred

GET DA NET
07-14-2009, 04:53 PM
How about concrete poured into a coffee can with a large metal eye bolt set into.

sweetfish
07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
How about concrete poured into a coffee can with a large metal eye bolt set into.

I used to pour concrete into the plastic gallon size milk cartons. Already has a handle to tie the rope to it.

92yj
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
i use a 10lb dumbbell wight, and put a eye bolt in it. the i just attach the rope to the eye bolt. the thing works awesome for my yak, and didn't cost me any money.

Darius
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
thank you gentleman, i think i'm going to try to the weights, so is 5 lbs or 10lbs is the questions, i'll be in lakes more often than the ocean. :Smile:

matt duarte
07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
thank you gentleman, i think i'm going to try to the weights, so is 5 lbs or 10lbs is the questions, i'll be in lakes more often than the ocean. :Smile:

i think the question would be do you really want to carrie around a extra 10lbs...

Skyler
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
After I lost my ten pound mushroom anchor while finding the only large snag at Jenks, I tied a 5 pound weight from my weight set to my anchor line and haven't looked back. I get a tad more drift, but it does the job just fine, and hasn't gotten hung up on me yet. But yeah, as long as it's heavy, you'll be fine. I've seen people use some weird stuff for anchors. My personal fav was a guy using a brake drum off an old truck, lol.

Darius
07-14-2009, 07:55 PM
i went on Pelicansports.com website, looked for their $30 1.5 lbs anchor. So i'm going to try 5lbs first. I'll tell you how it all goes, but Lake cachuma this weekend, i can't take my dam kayak there.

Darius
07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Weird stuff, i saw some old sprockets in my garage, that i may try first. Pretty heavy couple of pounds. I think my dad may be mad if i lose his old *** weight from the 70's, so sprockets first. Also where the heck should i tie the rope too?:Sad: Meaning the anchor is in the water, where should i tie the end of the rope.

bruce watson
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Always follow the trollmeisters example. Auto parts make good anchors. And they are cheap. I talked to Chris about this many times over ther years. He prefers brake parts for fresh water and engine or transmission parts for salt.

matt duarte
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM
dont you have lil hooks or something on the side of the tube? i do you want a anchor for a tube anyway? just courious...

Darius
07-14-2009, 10:52 PM
matt i just bought a kayak now! No more tubing for me, retired that ****.

Flying
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Just go to Perris and check the shoreline. The water was dropped last Dec and exposed a lot of broken off anchors. There is a pile of them stacked on a rock in the east end on the little island that myself and others picked up and put there. I'm sure if you walked around the big island you'll find a few there too.

Darius
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM
thanks for the tip. It's badluck to use someone elses anchor. :Rolls Eyes:

J. Owen
07-15-2009, 12:33 PM
cement in a cofee cann works great

tacklejunkie
07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Couple pepsi casn full of concrete with a "hook eye" in the middle for tie off.
Drop one, you slow drift.
Drop two, you anchor?

Lose one of them, have the other on board for backup.

Also, with a yak you might find yourself wanting to anchor the front and back at the same time to keep from rotating (I do on my pontoon sometimes, staying parallel to shore or breakwall, etc) so this double coke can anchor could double time there as well.

Just a free idea.

I had one of those outcast float tube anchors. It was cool and worked good if you followed the directions on how to anchor up with some slack in the line. Only problem was you need to replace the rope it came with, which is why I no longer have that nice expensive anchor!@

Darius
07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
thanks all, monday i think i'll be going to Santa Fe Dam, this time i'll be cruising the whole shore line, not just the middle island. If anyone wants to join, please do.

Bass Daddy
07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Got into this thread kinda late but got a couple of things to add.
If you fish places with alot of submerged brush you can get a kelp clip and tie off to some that is just under the water. I do this at Irvine, I back the yack into the point and clip onto some sturdy brush then fish uphill(try it you'll like it). I also use a 5lb. weight for an ancor any more weight I don't want to carry. You may want to think about using a clothes line reel for your line. They have it at home depot and the line is coated for outside use and comes in 50ft lengths. Just a word of caution if you ancor your yack at a lake that allows sking or wake boards ect. when you tie off you must be careful that as your boat goes over the wave the low tie off point may cause you to turn over. Nobody mentioned that thought I would. If you want more info PM me and I'll explane an ancor trolly that helps postioning.

Pinekap
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Do some research on where to hook up to your Yak, A pulley system is best. This allows you to position your anchor anywhere along your yak, This helps you position yourself facing the correct direction no matter what the current is doing.

Also you should have a float on the end of the rope. With a quick release system that allows you Release the rope from your Yak to move from your area quickly with out having to pull in the anchor. With the float on the end you can then go back and pick up your anchor.

Pinekap

Darius
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
thanks for the tips, it's never too late to join up on comments and tips. I'll be aware, of the waves hitting me, with the anchor and all that.

Mojave River Angler
07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I used an antifreeze bottle because the plastic is thick and works well for a strong handle. Just fill that sucker up completely with concrete and cap it. The soft plastic also keeps your kayak from getting bummed up and you from getting scraped. No rust mark!

I just bought a tandem kayak and I'm really enjoying it.

MRA

Darius
07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Okay,update i used 2 motorcycle sprockets zip tied together at santa fe dam, and it held up well! tomorrow i'm going to see if one motorcycle sproket works, other than that sprockets should be on the list of homemade anchors.