PDA

View Full Version : First Castaic Lake trip - Questions.

turnyourhead
07-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey everyone!

Let me first say I'm excited to be a part of what looks like a cool community here on the forums!

I am making my first trip to Castaic this weekend and have a few questions. I'm just interested in getting used to the lake, catching some fish (no real preference), and just get the vibe of the lake and fish.

1. My plan is to rent a boat. What time do I need to show up to ensure I can get one? I assume it's pretty busy. I see the facilities open at 5:45. Do I need to get there at 5?

2. As far as tackle... I have a simple spinning rod/reel... 8lb line... and reading the reports it looks like worms (both live and artificial) are doing well. Maybe use some anchovies?

Thanks in advance for your input!
J

dean070
07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
you should try posting your questions in the General freshwater section you may get better response there.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-14-2009, 02:50 PM
put ur post up in the general forum and I'll see if I can add some light to some of your questions tomorrow.

We do understand that being new you did not know that...

You'll definately get more help in the right forum.

Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey everyone!

Let me first say I'm excited to be a part of what looks like a cool community here on the forums!

I am making my first trip to Castaic this weekend and have a few questions. I'm just interested in getting used to the lake, catching some fish (no real preference), and just get the vibe of the lake and fish.

1. My plan is to rent a boat. What time do I need to show up to ensure I can get one? I assume it's pretty busy. I see the facilities open at 5:45. Do I need to get there at 5?

2. As far as tackle... I have a simple spinning rod/reel... 8lb line... and reading the reports it looks like worms (both live and artificial) are doing well. Maybe use some anchovies?

Thanks in advance for your input!
J

Getting there at 5am on a weekend will put you back in line a bit but I’d guess you’ll be safe as far as a rental (I don’t rent the boats there-have my own).

I don’t think they sell out until a bit later, the main thing is you want to get an early crack at the morning bite which boiling should be going on periodically so if they are boiling you’ll want to try to tap into the topwater action.

Your 8lb rig should serve you well for most applications Striper and LMB but on some days if your baiting and waiting for stripers, you may experiment with a lighter leader (6 or even 4 lb test)

Striper:
Flyline, splitshot or C-rig the following baits with a #1 or #2 owner mosquito hook.

BAIT:
Crawlers
Cut anchovies (if you can get fresh-not frozen it works much better but frozen works too)
Cut sardines (if you can get fresh-not frozen it works much better but frozen works too)
Bloodworms

Topwater:
KPN topwater shad
Zara spook
Lucky craft
(any other of your choice)

NOTE: the larger topwater lures will require heavier line-12-15 lb test at least-trout swimbait size/style lures will require at least 20-25-30 lb test respectively.

NOTE#2 There are huge stripers there ! DON'T GET CAUGHT LIGHT if one ha[ppens along your lure !

Subsurface:
KPN Skinny shad
Lucky Craft
Crocodile
Bucktails with swim body

Largemouth bass:
BAIT
Flylined, splitshot crawlers (c-rig works but not my favorite)

Topwater:
All lures mentioned above
Spinnerbaits
Buzzbaits
Gulp alive minnow or jerkbait
Zoom flukes

Subsurface:
Dropshot roboworms (oxblood-warmouth-green weenie,arrons magic,blue crawler)
Flylined senkos (use in shallower zones for flyline only)
KPN Skinny shad
Lucky craft
Rapala
Gulp alive minnows or jerkbaits on a small leadhead
Zoom flukes on a small leadhead
Lipped hardbaits - crankbaits-resembling shad or silverside minnows (freshwater smelt)

That should give you some real insight on what to use and how to use it !

NOW….go get ‘em tiger !

Gary

bassgrandslam
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
WOW! that was great info dude. i copied and pasted to MS word your list for reference.

thanks again!!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
WOW! that was great info dude. i copied and pasted to MS word your list for reference.

thanks again!!!

Ha ha ha ha....you'll see that I don't *%$# around...I take success and fishing knowledge seriously.....get out there and make me proud brotha !

The more you know...the more you'll catch

and welcome aboard !

turnyourhead
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Outstanding information! This is so perfect!

I'm stoked to get out there!

Thanks so much!

J