PDA

View Full Version : Lake Snakes

FlyMaster
06-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Post your best lake snake pic so far, Roger took this one I spotted last night at Castaic Lagoon just swimming through the water. It's a California Kingsnake

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/RogerH310/DSC06871.jpg

halijedi
06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
YUCK! I HATE SNAKES!

If I saw that thing, I would have screamed like a little girl, lol!

GLOOMISBOY
06-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Gofer snake at Perris

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/gloomisboy/DSC00933.jpg

Mohave Green at DVL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/gloomisboy/DSC00703.jpg

ThemBastards
06-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Trouser Snake. Corona Lake
[url=http://imageshack.us:2fc85]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9787/troutzo7.jpg[/url:2fc85]

Troutman65
06-27-2007, 08:37 PM
California Kingsnake , gopher snake not harmful to humans.

Now that Mohave Green, LOOK out :shock:

rusty6
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
i dont have the pics readily available, but last time i was at arroyo seco, i saw a 4-5 foot western diamondback and grabbed a nearly 7 foot gopher snake...dang thing was enormous!

christainmetalhead909
06-29-2007, 05:55 PM
trouser snake haha, man thembastards, you make me laugh. hah

saintarv
06-29-2007, 07:59 PM
California Kingsnakes makes great pets. :lol:

killerman
06-30-2007, 12:05 PM
That my friend is not a "Mohave Green".............
Still a nice rattler.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RRTGuy
06-30-2007, 01:20 PM

I agree.....however still a cool pic!!!!

You never really wanna be close enough to a rattler to find out the exact species anyways!!

RRTGuy

GLOOMISBOY
07-02-2007, 12:00 PM

what kind of rattler is it then...........the so call high desert expert i was with said it was a mohave green.....as he ran like a little girl....lol.lol.lol...

vanillagurilla
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
its a diamond back.

Troutman65
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah, It looks like a small Diamand Back Rattler.

Tm65

GLOOMISBOY
07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah, It looks like a small Diamand Back Rattler.

Tm65

it wasnt that small...i just wasnt going get to close to it to take a pic...still cool to see...

valhalla_1_2000
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
It very well could have been a mojave green, just a little difficult to tell from that photo. Not that I blame you for not getting any closer to find out. In fact, that was a very intelligent decision.

vanillagurilla
07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
if he was a decent size id catch him skin him and eat him hahaha.mmm rattle snake good..

DarkShadow
07-03-2007, 01:05 PM
The Mojave rattlesnake can easily be mistaken for the Western Diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox), which inhabits an overlapping range. They both have well-defined light-edged diamonds down the middle of their backs. The diamond pattern fades towards the last third of the Mojave Rattlesnake, whereas the diamonds continue to the tail in the Western Diamondback. The tail of the Mojave has contrasting light and dark rings. The white rings are much wider than the black rings, while the Diamondbacks have thick black rings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCzOnNbtRQ

Same snake, you make your own mind on whether it's a Mojave or a Western Diamondback

sansou
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
The Mojave rattlesnake can easily be mistaken for the Western Diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox), which inhabits an overlapping range. They both have well-defined light-edged diamonds down the middle of their backs. The diamond pattern fades towards the last third of the Mojave Rattlesnake, whereas the diamonds continue to the tail in the Western Diamondback. The tail of the Mojave has contrasting light and dark rings. The white rings are much wider than the black rings, while the Diamondbacks have thick black rings.

Same snake, you make your own mind on whether it's a Mojave or a Western Diamondback

It's usually pretty hard for me to make that differentiation while I'm running away screaming like a girl. I leave the determination for the "experts"!

one_leg
07-03-2007, 01:27 PM

It's usually pretty hard for me to make that differentiation while I'm running away screaming like a girl. I leave the determination for the "experts"!

I have heard him scream! He's not kidding.
Once I watched him catch a 17+ pound Pond trout and he nearly broke my eardrums.........Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

One_Leg

valhalla_1_2000
07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
What Dark Shadow said. What Sansou said too.

the spinning reel bandit
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
HE RATTELED HOLMES!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ARE WE IN L.A.

DarkShadow
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
HE RATTELED HOLMES!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ARE WE IN L.A.

Hey, what can i say, The East LA peeps have rubbed off their lingo on me.

smokehound
07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Red Diamond Rattlesnake. (not diamondback, just diamond)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_ruber

It is similar to the western diamondback, but has an auburn hue to its pattern. Also much smaller.

There is no mojave green rattlesnake. Maybe according to local slang, but not recognized by science.

one_leg
07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
The name most commonly used is Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.

One_Leg

Ambassadorhawg
07-08-2007, 08:57 PM
GLOOMISBOY,

The rattler at DVL is a RED DIAMOND RATTLESNAKE. These are common throughout the San Bernardino/Riverside/Coachella Valley area. Probably one of the more pretty rattlers around! Very nervous, shy, always in a hurry to get away. No Mohave Greens around that area. They are a high desert species.

Russell,

The rattler you are talking about is a Southern Pacific. That is the ONLY type of rattlesnake on this side of the San Gabriel mountain range. It is our coastal mountains local rattlesanke. If you drive through the San Gabriels into the high desert, you will then find Mohave greens, Sidewinders, Speckled Rattlers and Red Diamond Rattlers. You have to go far East, around the Colorado River before you hit Western Diamondback country. They are generally small in size.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I catch 'em often at the lagoon...come on people...no photos holding 'em ????? not bad with a little orange sauce either
...the other other other white meat !!!!

Troutman65
07-10-2007, 08:46 PM
CA. King snakes are very cool. My friend and I caught on in a feild by our house 30 years ago. A large Apartment complex was built on the property soon after catching the snake. My friend kept the snake as a pet for many years. It is in the constricter family of snakes. He gave it away years later to a friend that had a bigger cage for it. That was a cool snake. To bad every scrap of land in O.C. has to be developed. Use to be a cool place growing up as a kid. Orange groves, Avacado groves, Strawberry feilds, and open feilds for us kids to play.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Tm65

seahonk
07-11-2007, 01:31 AM
The californa King snake's main diet is the rattle snake even thou i like rattle snakes better leave them where you found them ,snakes rule .

~JoMama~
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwww ... I HATE SNAKES!!!

killerman
07-13-2007, 09:26 PM
DarkShadow, Ambassadorhawg
Nice to get info from " REAL SNAKE " boys, to many people just don't get it, all they need to do is look and leave them alone. Most just kill them, when all they need to do is move them off the road or enjoy the moment. I collected for years and hate when people just kill to kill :x :x :x

Not trying to slam anyone so play nice.

Peace

" Killerman

one_leg
07-13-2007, 11:19 PM
The californa King snake's main diet is the rattle snake even thou i like rattle snakes better leave them where you found them ,snakes rule .

Their main diet consists of rodents, birds, lizards, frogs, and snakes.
They have an immunity to rattlesnake venom, but they are not the major portion of the California Kingsnakes diet.

O_L

Troutman65
07-14-2007, 12:04 AM
One_Leg, You sure got that right . About the CA. King snake s diet.

:thumb:

Troutman65

seahonk
07-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Ya thats what i was trying to say one_leg ya thats it , thanks for the help .

one_leg
07-14-2007, 02:14 AM
One_Leg, You sure got that right . About the CA. King snake s diet.

:thumb:

Troutman65

Yes.

O_L

killerman
07-14-2007, 08:34 AM
OK........one_leg...........You are in with the snake boys too....... :thumb:

Greg Madrigal
07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
DarkShadow, Ambassadorhawg
Nice to get info from " REAL SNAKE " boys, to many people just don't get it, all they need to do is look and leave them alone. Most just kill them, when all they need to do is move them off the road or enjoy the moment. I collected for years and hate when people just kill to kill :x :x :x

Not trying to slam anyone so play nice.

Peace

" Killerman

HAHAHAHA :D
Funny response coming from a guy named KILLERMAN! LOL
PS-I love snakes!