PDA

View Full Version : Some catfish help

EastCoaster
07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Was hoping someone could give me ideas how to fish or target catfish. I plan on fishing a small catfish tourtament near my house on saturday and I have never actually targeted catfish. Just wondering on the setup and bait. Anything helps, THANKS

HEMAN
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
my usual is a C-rig with a size 1 or 2 mosquito hook and shrimp (shell on), c liver or mackeral.

DocHolliday
07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Yea, thats pretty much it. Although there are a few techniques; they most typical one is the Carolina rig ( sliding egg sinker, swivel and j or circle hook on about 12in leader) the other one, which i havent tried is flylining. This requires to leave the bail open and use no weight, this way when the fish feels no resistance they are more likely to commit to the bait. Havent tried it so i cant really comment on it. Best baits for me are, Mack (fresh if possible, think pier or asian market to a lesser extent but anything will work ) shrimp as stated before, nightcrawlers or Mealworms n marshmellows. I hve the best luck on Mack personally, good luck and i hope this helped.

SHAD MAN 09
07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
chicken liver works great and its cheap just about any store has it. Since its been so HOT you dont have to be way out there on the bottom the fish are up suspended in the summer. If possible fish grass or shady areas of lake where sun isnt beaming on the water as much. But the other rigs and baits everyone has mentioned works. Good luck and I would put my money on chicken livers.

EastCoaster
07-13-2009, 03:17 PM
so if I were using chicken liver, do I use the c rig to throw it?

HEMAN
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
just it on the hook and toss it out.. problem with chicken liver is, it's hard to keep on (for long distant casting) because its so soft and mushy.

i've seen some mesh netting people use to help keep it on as well.

some people also use treble hooks with some of the dipping catfish baits, but i've never tried so i can't comment.

2quikmotorwerks
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Was hoping someone could give me ideas how to fish or target catfish. I plan on fishing a small catfish tourtament near my house on saturday and I have never actually targeted catfish. Just wondering on the setup and bait. Anything helps, THANKSwhere is this tourny at i too live in moreno valley. it wouldnt be at fisherman's retreat would it?

Troutman65
07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
just it on the hook and toss it out.. problem with chicken liver is, it's hard to keep on (for long distant casting) because its so soft and mushy.

i've seen some mesh netting people use to help keep it on as well.

some people also use treble hooks with some of the dipping catfish baits, but i've never tried so i can't comment.

Chicken livers work great. I just hate trying to keep them on my hook. :LOL:

Mackerel wrks great. Raw shrimp also works good too.

Omar, Go Brother.:Big Grin::Wink:

youngfish
07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
where is this tourny at i too live in moreno valley. it wouldnt be at fisherman's retreat would it?

i second that curiosity. i stay out there for work, and id be interested.

pappi
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Try using Panny hose.it works well with chickin liver.also try cooked crawfish

hookup
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
i would use the c-rig for shrimp and maybe mackrel.as far as chicken liver i just fly line it with a misquito hook or octapus hook. i also fly line like half of a mackrel when going for the big boys.

KittyKiller
07-15-2009, 07:43 AM
When I use chicken liver I like to pre-tie my own leaders at home, put the chicken liver on the hook then freeze them individually so when you get to the lake they are frozen to the hook and it will help me cast them out without the liver flying off during the cast. Give that a shot.

EastCoaster
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Its at Sunnymead Ranch. I am going to check today to see if its open to everyone or if you need to be a member. The past few months they have had fishing tourtaments for trout, bass, and bluefill. So im finding out today

2quikmotorwerks
07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Its at Sunnymead Ranch. I am going to check today to see if its open to everyone or if you need to be a member. The past few months they have had fishing tourtaments for trout, bass, and bluefill. So im finding out today
yes let us know i live down the street from SMR

EastCoaster
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
So do i. I live in Hidden Springs

Tom
07-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Your Lucky That lake is Loaded with Large Bass

Tom

riverbud55
07-18-2009, 01:58 PM
When I use chicken liver I like to pre-tie my own leaders at home, put the chicken liver on the hook then freeze them individually so when you get to the lake they are frozen to the hook and it will help me cast them out without the liver flying off during the cast. Give that a shot.

excellent idea, it would also help put out a better sent as it thaws sitting on the bottom waiting for the big guy to go by, emm maybe take a ice tray put each pc of bait/hook in a cube with the blood juice, keep it frozen with some dry ice until ready to use, think it would also work great with mack :-)