PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Southern Cal 7-12-09

Ambassadorhawg
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Got down to the landing an hour early and waited for the Victory to arrive so that we could get a close parking spot. It looked like San Diego down there with cars illegally parked all over the place waiting for an open parking spot. We got #14, very close!

There was 20 or so on the boat and a few were late so we got out 20 minutes late which didn't help since we had to get bait and then go on the long run down to the flats. Nothing but big 'dines in the reciever. We were hoping for 'chovie. NONE.

Run down to the flats was a little rocky with a good 10+ knot breeze. Got down there and metered around for a bit looking for the right mark. Some birds in the area helped us out. Finally dropped the hook and got our lines wet.

A quick sand bass came over the rail and then a few other hook ups that turned into night gar. I guess having 'chovie has been key to getting the sand bass to bite. No such luck. Our trip would be a scratchy one but we made the best of it.

My buddy Scott and I fished plastics side by side the whole night except for a few casts with the iron which I could see wasn't going to work. Scott got bit first and landed an fine, fatty sized gar. I got bit shortly thereafter and put a fatty on the boat. We each ended up with a half dozen or so gar and had a few that tore off or bit us off. I got the only sand bass between us.

Never really fished "night gar" before. Kinda weird, the fish were mostly tight to the bottom. They would climb onto the rubber duck kinda slow and gracefully as it was reeled in from the bottom. Then they would not do much but shake their head a little most of the way up leading you to believe it was a sand bass you hooked....until they saw the boat at about 20' feet down...then they turned into gar and did the psychotic, crazy, swim all over the place, panic dance.

I think everyone got some fish last night. We fished until about 11PM. I think I saw you last night BassinChef, but I am not really sure??? We were the two guys fishing rubber on the aft starboard side next to the corner.

Finally got into some gar for the season....

'hawg out

JapanRon
07-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi AmbassadorHawg,

WTG guys !! And on the plastics too !! Yep .... black 8 and 9 are great spots to fish the plastic on that boat !! I'm finding that the boats aren't leaving at the perscribed times ... up to 20 minutes delayed .... hoping to get those last few anglers on board. Times are tough and they're trying to make hay while the sun shines.

Only time I don't give 'em a pass is when a boat is held up for some donkey DH that needed their beauty-sleep !

Twilight fishing a whole different experience ... especially if you're older and suffer night-blindness !!

JapanRon

Liteliner
07-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Nice job on the gar. They seem to like the Big Hammers. I got a few on the plastics slow rolled on the bottom for sandies the other day also. Thanks for the report.

megafisher94
07-15-2009, 08:33 AM
what is a night gar? ive never heard of them... pics anybody???

samgann93
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM

a gar is a barracuda so a night gar is a barracuda caught at night.

samgann93
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Good job out there. I went out on the 3/4 day yesterday on the patriot and it was WFO on the iron. I must of got 20 or 25 legals and another 10 shorts.

megafisher94
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
a gar is a barracuda so a night gar is a barracuda caught at night.
Oh I Gotcha

Greg Madrigal
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM

AHAHAHAHA!!! Great question! LOL! I'm in stitches right now! LOL!

GM

Jig-Guy
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
:???: now i know what a night gar is! Been catching cud for about 63 years and never heard that name. Always something to learn.
Glad you got bit and thanks for the report.