PDA

View Full Version : Registering a boat... Help!

Socal Bassman
07-13-2009, 07:37 AM
So I bought a boat and trailer from CL. The owner is in San Francisco, but his mom handled the transaction and did a bill of sale. The owner promised to send the pinks. It's been almost a month now and still haven't seen the papers.So my questin is how do I register the boat and trailer without the proper documents? Thanks for any help.

Ronira
07-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey Bro, do you have AAA. If you do you can take your bill of sale and the hull ID# over to one of their offices and they can tell you whats up.

G-Mart
07-13-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm dealing with the same thing right now. As long as you have the bill of sale your fine. Just download the vessel registration form the DMV, fill it out and take it to the DMV.

Socal Bassman
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, DMV gave me the vessel registration form. After I filled it out, they informed me that their was a lien sale on the boat and trailer a couple years ago. Now they say that they can't do anything until I get the paperwork from the seller. I've tried contacting the seller with no luck. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

HEMAN
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
sounds almost like they sold you a boat that wasn't there's to sell... i really hope it's not the case, good luck with this.

whenever i sell or buy something, i make them follow me to the kinko's or wherever and i get a photocopy of their CA DL :Angry: and i write it on the bill of sale as well, but that's just cause i'm super paranoid.

Rooster
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
whenever i sell or buy something, i make them follow me to the kinko's or wherever and i get a photocopy of their CA DL :Angry: and i write it on the bill of sale as well, but that's just cause i'm super paranoid.

I can Vouch for that :ROFL: JK bro hahah

HEMAN
07-13-2009, 05:38 PM
I can Vouch for that :ROFL: JK bro hahah
haha... all good man.. i still got the boat.. haven't been able to take it out as much as i'd like..

plastics
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Will the DMV disclose to you exactly who has the lien on the boat? I think that's ultimately who you'll have to deal with as that lien holder is technically the boat's owner at this point, I do believe.

Socal Bassman
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Will the DMV disclose to you exactly who has the lien on the boat? I think that's ultimately who you'll have to deal with as that lien holder is technically the boat's owner at this point, I do believe.

No, they wouldn't tell me who has the lien on the boat. They just told me that they needed the transfer of title papers. Which the seller has.

tacklejunkie
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Can you file for a duplicate title or loss of ownership or something like that?
Hope you get it all ironed out smoothly man.

NoHo ART
07-13-2009, 08:07 PM
pay his mom a visit :Evil::Wink:

Sparky70
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Don't EVER buy a boat unless U have the Pink slip 4 boat and trailer in your hand.

plastics
07-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Ok dude, you might have to get crazy with the DMV on this one ...

This is all from the CA DMV Site:

THIS form may help you track down the correct registered owner:

Request for Own Driver License or Vehicle Registration Record (INF 1125)

This form is used by individuals to request their own driving record or their vehicle/vessel information. A $5 fee is required for each record requested.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1125.htm

THIS one seems to have something to do with tracking down Lien holders:

Registration Information Request for Lien Sale (INF 1126)

This form is used by individuals and businesses to acquire the names and addresses of the legal and registered owners of a vehicle or vessel which is to be disposed of as part of a lien sale or the disposition of low value abandoned vehicles.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1126.htm

And THIS one reads like it might actually be your end-game solution bro:

Application for Registration Number Certificate of Ownership and Certificate of Number for Undocumented Vessel (BOAT 101)

Use the BOAT 101 form to apply for registration of a new or nonresident undocumented vessel. The form may also be used if a vessel was previously registered in California, the owner has neither the California Certificate of Ownership nor Certificate of Number, and there is no longer a record of the vessel in Department of Motor Vehicles files.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/boat/boat101.htm

Good luck man. Really sorry to hear you're going through this b.s., but I'm confident that there WILL be a solution for you somewhere in all the red tape.

fishntoss
07-16-2009, 02:00 AM
What a bunch of B.S. This is why it's such a pain to take care of this stuff. Obviously the apple didn't fall from the tree.

I've found that the AAA is really good and helpful with all the DMV stuff..

Years ago, I had a car registration of some type, I think it was a release form saying I didn't own the car anymore. The guy I sold it to never changed ownership and then somehow some other guy got the car. He had to send the release to me to have signed by me. I sure hope he didn't have any other problems getting the piece of junk registered.

Good luck on the paperwork..

You can usually get a friend with AAA and go with him to find out what you need.. I did that once for a buddy of mine.. Then he took all that info to DMV to finish up the paperwork that they wanted...

Ronira
07-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Hey Daryle, I've got AAA man. I'll take you down there if you want.

Socal Bassman
07-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah, it's total B.S. that I had to go to three different DMV offices just to find out there was a lien sale on the boat. Then, wouldn't disclose the name of the lien holder.

Well I got an email from the seller. He said he mailed the paperwork on Sunday. Guess we'll see. Ron, thanks for the offer. I'll get in touch with you when I get a chance.

Sparky70
07-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Never buy a boat unless the previous owner gives you the pink slip when U cross his palm with money !!!!!!!!!!:ROFL: :ROFL:

Socal Bassman
07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, I received the papers in the mail yesterday. Now I just have to find time to work on it. Of course, after I deal with all the kind people at the DMV. :Rolls Eyes: