PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Trolling For Trout @ Piru 7/12

IN2DEEP
07-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey guys,

There is some hot trout fishing at Piru right now if you know how to troll with leadcore or downriggers.

Surface temp was 73 deg. so the trout are stacked at 20-30 something feet.

We were trolling with 6 colors of 12lb. leadcore at 1.5-2 kts. of speed(MPH will be slightly faster) working over towards the dam to avoid the lake lice.

Small Dodger flasher with a NC, power worm or the new Gulp floating NC in orange color trailing behind.
#1 or #2 Needlefish, Dick Nite spoons, Excel lures in black and white were all working

Get your gear down to those depths and troll the proper speed and you should do well.
Oh yeah, the bite picked up when the wind picked up.

Good luck

TroutOnly
07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
WAS THERE ANY SIZE OR ANY OF THE WILD FISH CAUGHT, BECAUSE THEY DO BREED IN THERE AND YOU CAN REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU CATCH SOME,,,,,,,,,t/o

IN2DEEP
07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
T/O, The ones that we caught were pan sized planters, but the bite was off the scales :EyePop:
Some of them had blue backs like the ones that would come out of DVL during the warmest months...

Fishthewhaler
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM
shhhhhhhih!!! Not so loud!! Just kidding..Gotta love that kinda action. I need to learn how to properly rig a dodger /crawler. I havent' ever done it, but if you get more fight than leadcore, I'm all for it! I caught one of those trout at piru, what a differnce in meat , and had the hookjaw.
very informative report
Damon aka FTW

Jimbow
07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :EyePop: