PDA

View Full Version : been a while...UFC 100!

KaliDawgFan
07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
The magic number has finally arrived, and this card looks to be excellent!

Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir face off again to decide who the undisputed HW champ is. Brock seems to improve each time I see him fight, and I expect him to be ready for this one. The guy is massive, strong and extremely quick for his size. Even though his boxing isn't fantastic, he hits hard enough to rattle even if blocked. Standing I don't think he'll have too hard of a problem. We all know he can wrestle, and I don't think Mir is good/fast enough to stop a takedown so that leaves the other aspect of Brock's game...GnP. Can he inflict damage without getting submitted this time around? You know he's training his submission defense. Mir looked really good in his last fight. I'll admit I didn't give him much of a chance against Nogueira. On paper Mir was supposed to lose that fight. Both are accomplished grapplers so a sub from either was out of the question. Standup would be the deciding factor, and it was...just not the way I thought it would be. Nogueira was training his standup with the Cuban olympic team! There was no way he was supposed to lose that fight. Mir just picked him apart though. Sadly for Mir, I don't think his improved standup is going to help him. Brock seems to have a decent chin, and with his expected sub defense I expect him to wear down Mir whose cardio has always been a question. Lesnar by TKO sometime around the 3rd round.

Every single fight GSP has is supposed to be his toughest yet. Thiago Alves is no doubt a tough opponent, but I don't think he'll beat GSP. Let's break them both down side-by-side. The standup department might be a toss up here. Alves has very good Muay Thai and great takedown defense, but GSP has very good "everything standing" and excellent takedowns. Let's not forget who GSP has beaten...Koscheck (arguably the best pure wrestler in the division), Fitch (another college wrestling beast), Frank Trigg (a wrestler and top ten WW at the time of the fight) and Matt Hughes (twice). All three of them has outstanding wrestling credentials, and GSP dismantled them all. Alves beat Koscheck and Hughes too and in impressive fashion. GSP is one of those fighers who will trade with his opponent at what they do best and win convincingly. The only hope Alves has is to catch GSP like Serra did. GSP is just too quick and athletic to stop, and Alves will find that out the hard way. GSP by whatever he wants into the later rounds.

I think Bisping versus Henderson is going to be a boring fight. Bisping has the better, crisper standup of the two, and his ground game is good too. Henderson does have that one-punch knockout power in his right hand, but Bisping is too smart of a boxer to get caught. Dan is known for his wrestling, and I think that's going to be the deciding factor in this fight. If Dan can get the fight on the ground he'll probably keep it there, but he will most likely just lay and pray a win out. If Bisping's TD defense is good then he'll pick Dan apart for the decision. I see Bisping winning this one.

John Fitch is fighting Paulo Thiago, a guy who beat Fitch's teammate Josh Koscheck in their meeting. Look for Fitch to come out with a vengeance and destroy Thiago. TKO in the second or third round for Fitch.

One fight I'm excited about is Jon Jones against Jake O'Brien. I first saw Jon fight against Stephan Bonnar, and he had his way with The American Psycho. Not only was Jones' standup great, but his wrestling was phenominal as well. Jon took Stephan down whenever he wanted, however he wanted. Jake's a good wrestler, but Jones is better, and his standup is WAY better. Jones will win by TKO early on. The LHW division better watch out for Jones!

The Angler
07-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Yawn.....

Good ol UFC

The 100 ufc!! more then Great american football and baseball championships together. What a joke u would think Dana white would have put up a way better card then this stinkfest.

My opinion they should only host 1 tourny a year like before. When Shamrock and Gracie would fight 3-4 times a night to be crowned the true champ. Come on now they have a ex wrestler come in and win 2 fights and be crowned champ what a joke.:ROFL:

dragracer
07-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I think Bisping will run the whole fight. Even then, I dont think he'll get past Henderson. IMHO, different level, we shall see...

Frenchy
07-11-2009, 10:02 AM
i know gsp personally thanks to my high school wrestling coach who coached the natural RANDY but ya gsp is goin to dominate talked to him a week ago seems like since that loss to serra hes in another world took that one to heart as he sholud have and as any fighter sholud after a loss he will dominate tonight the lesnar and mir fight i sincerely hope mir wins doesnt mean i think he is goin to win but i hope so after all lesnar beat my boy randy i hope tonight lives up to all the hype

too bad im not goin to be able to see it i will be submitting the stripers while hitts on is ground and pounding them at castaic tonight

KaliDawgFan
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Good first fight! Belcher got robbed though. I had it 29 - 28 Belcher. If I could've scored it 28.6 - 28.4 I would've.

KaliDawgFan
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
DAYUM! Hendo!

Bisping looked scared from the opening second. His standup wasn't that good. Anyone else notice Matt Lindland pour water down Hendo's crotch in between the first and second round? That'll wake you up.

KaliDawgFan
07-11-2009, 08:35 PM
GSP is just on another level...

KaliDawgFan
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
best quote ever:

GSP - I think I pulled my groin.

Greg Jackson - I don't care! Hit him with your groin!

KaliDawgFan
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
It looks like Dana White's going to have to bring in Bobby Lashley to challenge Brock.

KaliDawgFan
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Second best quote of the night by Brock Lesnar:

"I may even get on top of my wife tonight"

troutdog
07-12-2009, 01:52 AM
GSP= BORING (YAWN match of the night)
Lesnar=SCHMUCK x2

Henderson over Michael "Big Mouth Brit" Bisping was hands down the best fight on the card...that last punch to the chops probably didn't feel too good, then again I don't think Bisping felt it because he was already out cold! :LOL:

TD

lalo56
07-12-2009, 02:09 AM
DAYUM! Hendo!

Bisping looked scared from the opening second. His standup wasn't that good. Anyone else notice Matt Lindland pour water down Hendo's crotch in between the first and second round? That'll wake you up.

Dan asked to have his shorts pulled and then he pulled and poured water down.

Second best quote of the night by Brock Lesnar:

"I may even get on top of my wife tonight"

I was a fan of his until he flipped off the fans not champion quality. Looks like another Tito in the works!

KaliDawgFan
07-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Ya, that was a pitiful display of douchebaggery on Brock's part. I know who could beat Brock (besides Fedor)...Bobby Lashley. He is fighting MMA now too, and he's pretty damn good! Like Brock he has an amateur wrestling pedigree. He's 4-0 with 1 KO and 2 submissions. He recently beat the hell out of Bob Sapp too! Dana White should bring him in if he wins his next fight convincingly. Brock won't be able to manhandle Bobby.

Y'all hear that Kimbo Slice is going to be on the next season of the Ultimate Fighter?

ThemBastards
07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Hmm That Henderson knockout might just have been one of the most satisfying to watch ever. No one in the world can beat Brock if he gets their wrist like he did with Mir, you have to catch him quick.

lalo56
07-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Hmm That Henderson knockout might just have been one of the most satisfying to watch ever. No one in the world can beat Brock if he gets their wrist like he did with Mir, you have to catch him quick.

Oh yeah!!! Loved that knock out. He even stated he was out but he wanted to be sure he stfu so he landed another hard shot.

My kind of guy!

Bird dog
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Hollywood rules! I think they should bring back Arvloskey to teach Lesner a little humility.

baadfish69
07-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Dana White says he is confident that he will be able to bring Fedor Emelianenko over to the UFC, and that a Lesnar vs. Emelianenko is inevitable. If thats the case....my guess is that Fedor pummels Lesnar. Fedor is easily the best fighter out there right now in the heavyweights.

The Angler
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
They should just bring in Kurt Angle to fight him:ROFL:

ThemBastards
07-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Maybe Brock's wife can just hit Fedor with a chair when the ref isnt looking.:LOL:

BrownTrout
07-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Hollywood rules! I think they should bring back Arvloskey to teach Lesner a little humility.

arlovsky!! lol to beat brock lesnar? i dont think so.

mth1997
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Its funny you should mention that because there was word going around years ago while Lesnar was still with WWE that he and Kurt Angle had it out backstage. Apparently Angle had his way with Brock, made him look talentless. Then again, Angle is a genuine olympic caliber wrestler, so...

As far as who's gonna beat that beast:

Arlovski will be KO'd or pounded out on the ground vs. Brock. No chin.

Big Timmie...yeah right, he's done being a top heavy. He'll never be a top 10 again.

Overeem has the standup skills to destroy anyone. I think he stands a good chance against Brock if he could stuff the takedown. Don't forget he has a nasty guillotine from the standing position (ie: Igor and Vitor in PRIDE).

Kharitonov seems done too.

Big Nogeira...same as Big Timmie. Too much damage over his career, and he's only in his early 30's!!!

Barnett is the 2nd best heavy out there behind Fedor. He has all the tools to beat anyone. Although I see Brock taking him down, albeit not easily, I think Barnett's submissions and standup win him the fight.

Randy Couture might have run out of time. I thought he would beat Lesnar the 1st time. He called it: underestimated the reach of that monster. Not sure he has it now.

Frank Mir fought a stupid game plan this last fight. A solid plan in the rubber match would be interesting. Easily one of the best jiu jitsu guys at HW, good standup, and not that much smaller than Brock.

Shane Carwin...I don't think so. His chin is suspect, as we saw when he fought Gonzaga, but he can recover quickly, as we saw when he fought Gonzaga. His wrestling isn't up to par with Lesnar, he loses by GNP, even though he's as big as Lesnar.

Cain Velasquez just doesn't have the size or the chin to tangle with Lesnar. He's a good wrestler, but he just doesn't have the tools to beat the chump, I mean champ.

Lashley seems like he'd have a good chance, especially this early in his career while we don't know a whole lot about him. Big, strong, good wrestler, powerful striker.

Fedor is the man, but he'll have to lose sometime. Will Brock be the man to dethrone the king? I don't think so.

Now, out of that list, who will Brock realistically face: Randy, Carwin, Big Nog, and Cain are the only fighters listed that are with the UFC. I think Randy or Mir has the best shot. I'd love to see Carwin KTFO of that biotch though!!! Mir with a good game plan stands a chance. I don't think Brock is what everyone makes him to be, but I have to admit he will be at the top of the division for a good while, especially considering what he's done in such a short time. He really improves drastically each fight.