PDA

View Full Version : Newport beach,,surf ????

trail blazer
07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Hows the surf fishing just below the oilfields there in newport beach,,,sat ,sun and mon il be working there< end of 17th st> and was wondering if i needed to bring a rod??

tacklejunkie
07-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I dunno about the spot, but if you'll be by the beach you definitely need to bring a rod bro!
6lb and 12lb setups will do ya good. If you surf it might want a good medium heavy rod and some pyramid sinkers for bait with that 12lb or some rapala X-rap jerkbaits for 12lb for halibut! Maybe even a krock spoon 1/2oz to 5/8oz!

For the 6lb you can drop shot any fishy looking thing for the halibut or use a C-rig and mosquito hook with 2" gulp camo sandworms in the waves for the perchies! Good luck man! If you're fishing off an oil rig might hook something bigger! I've seen shows of those guys hooking nice big fish! If your in the bay/harbor use 6lb drop shot type stuff with slow presentation or your 12lb rig 3-4" big hammers! Let the fish tell you how they want 'em!

Good luck out there!

trail blazer
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks T,J.
Just got back and tomarrow and monday il be going both days.
Im going to bring a rod and tackle and hopefully il get an hr or 2 to give it a try,,,,,gotta get my ocean enhance stamp 1st im pretty sure

dropshot king
07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Hows the surf fishing just below the oilfields there in newport beach,,,sat ,sun and mon il be working there< end of 17th st> and was wondering if i needed to bring a rod??

i went today and fished the docks but the bite was preety good saw a alot of big fish jump good luiuck ened up with 3 lil ones

exfactor
07-12-2009, 10:03 AM
what kind?

vanillagurilla
07-12-2009, 12:47 PM
the big fish are mullet and are vegitarian. the fishing docks suck. try 14th st. on down to 11 or 10th. dropshot baby bass assasins or baby flukes with a 14-16" tag. or use 2-3" grubs on a 1/4oz. lead head. i fish nph all the time and those techniques work the best.