PDA

View Full Version : My "Broken Key" Personal Best Trout

Natural Lefty
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Greetings! My report is even more belated than that of Teejay, but I finally got around to getting posting privileges here. I have been visiting this site for years, but I am primarily a blogger with my own sites. I usually go fishing about once per week, though, or on vacations, mostly low-budget, shore fishing for panfish or wild trout, and usually with my wife Eunice, or shall I say, "Redear Yumfish." Most of the fish we catch are rather small, although Eunice caught a Redear Sunfish that weighed about 1 1/2 pounds at Aha Quin on the Colorado River in April.:Smile:

Anyway, here is the brief version of the story of how I caught my personal best trout on June 20. My wife and I went to stay at my brother's house for a week in June. Fortunately for us, he lives at South Lake Tahoe. On Thursday, June 18, I found a spot on an inlet stream to Silver Lake, the reservoir near Tahoe, not the one in the June Lake Loop, where I lost 3 consecutive large Brook Trout, I would say in the 13-14 inch range. Frustrated, I went back to the car to tell Eunice about it. I thought she might have better luck there, so I went to get her pole from the car. When I opened the trunk, however, the key broke off in the trunk, and I was left standing there with only the nub of the key in my hand, no spare key, and no was to drive back to Tahoe.

Eventually, we managed to call my brother, Bruce, and he came to pick us up. By the time he got there, it was 9 p.m. We went back to Tahoe, and found a locksmith the next day, who agreed to go to Silver Lake and make new keys, for $200. While we were there, I showed the creek to my brother, who works fas a scientist for the California State Water Quallity Control Board. He determined that this creek was excellent trout habitat. My brother is involved in the project to restore Paiute Cutthroat Trout to their native habitat in the Silver King Creek drainage, so he has become something of an expert on trout habitat. We saw 3 large Brook Trout while we were looking at the creek, probably the same 3 I had lost the day before, but we had no fishing equipment this time.

I was determined to catch one of those large fish, so back we went the next day. It turned out that the Brook Trout no longer wanted to bite. I think I had inadvertantly given them "smart lessons." I went down the creek trying to find some willing fish, with no bites. I wasn't messing around; I was using a split shot, small worm hook, and garden worms, which seemed to be working the best. Finally, my first cast at a new pool, I had an immediate bite. I knew it was a big fish, especially when it swam straight at me and wallowed for several seconds by the shore in front of me. I could also see that it was a Rainbow. After that, it took off and went on various drag-screaming runs for several minutes. Finally, I had it tired out, put my net into the water, and the fish swam straight into it.

The fish was 20 1/2 inches long when I measured it, easily my largest trout of any species ever. (I don't have a good scale for measuing it, but the length-weight chart for Rainbow Trout says a 20 1/2 inch Rainbow should weight around 3.2 pounds, or 3 pounds, 3 ounces.) After measuring the fish, I took a couple of honarary pictures of my wife with it. She is more photogenic than I am, anyway. It appears to be a wild Rainbow, with full fins and bright colors, and yes, we did keep it. I wasn't about to let this one go.:Big Grin: By the way, I am pretty sure the fish had come upstream from Silver Lake. It is also possible that it was one of the fish which was transferred from Caples Lake to Silver Lake last fall when Caples Lake was drained.

In other fishing, we caught a bunch of fish in Caples Creek, mostly 7-9 inch Brook Trout, plus a few Rainbows of similar size, in the upper creek, near Woods Lake, and several 10-12 inch Brown Trout below Caples Lake. Fishing was much better in streams than in lakes for us, perhaps because it was still early season there. There was lots of snow on the mountains, and they had been having almost daily thunderstorms for a couple of weeks, ending the day after we got there. We only caught 1 Brook Trout in Red Lake, 1 Brown in Silver Lake, and nothing in Caples Lake.

We did go fishing in Tahoe Keys, from the dock of one of my brother's friends, along with her son and my nieces, who are 6 and 7 years old. (We also took them to Silver Lake with us.) Well, I can officially report that the Tahoe Keys have been overrun with Bluegills. My brother was pretty pissed off, since they and other species introduced by "bucket biologists" have wiped out native species such as the Tui Chub. We wound up catching about 20 Bluegills in all, keeping most of them. (Bruce said the more we remove from the keys, the better.) I also caught a small Largemouth Bass there. There are also Smallmouth, Crappie, and most likely other Sunfish species such as Pumpkinseeds and Green Sunfish in the keys now. Fortunately, they seem unable to survive outside of the keys or other particularly shallow parts of Lake Tahoe. The predominant fish in the keys seem to be Bluegill, though. All of these non-native sunfish species were introduced illegally. :Sad:

I will try to post a few pictures. I have a bunch of pictures from the trip already posted on my blog site http://www.boxfreeblog.com The full description of this trip is still on my homepage, under "My Female Fishing Buddies." There are also reports from other vacation fishing we have done over the past year or so in the trip archives.

P.S. I had a "fishier" user name, but kept having trouble figuring out what was wanted for the answer to the random question, got frustrated, and wound up using the user name I use on a non-fishing website. Anyway, fishing is a nature activity, and I am a lefty.

deanhall32
07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Very interesting report!! Welcome to the boards and congrats on your $200 trout!!

teejay
07-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Sunfish in Tahoe! I never would have imagined. What’s next, catfish?
While I certainly don’t condone the practice of illegall fish plants, I can’t help but ribbing your brother about being so “pissed off” at the Tahoe “bucket biologists” and their fondness for bluegill. Considering that your brother is involved in the restoration of the Paiute Cutthroat Trout, and that the Paiute Cutthroat owes its very existence to a “bucket” plant by a Basque sheepherder in 1912, I find his reaction to be an interesting irony.
All kidding aside, I enjoyed your report and would like to hear more about your brother's efforts at restoring the Paiute cutty. Some say it's more beautiful than the golden.

P.S. Get autoclub

GdHkSet1
07-11-2009, 01:59 PM
That is a beauty of a Rainbow, thanks for sharing and welcome to the FNN.

Natural Lefty
07-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Teejay, you are a most perceptive person! I am glad you know about the Paiute Cutthroat. I have seen a picture of one which was netted by DFG personnel, then returned. It was an incredible looking fish. My brother has seen them too. He says they have zero spots on their bodies, unique among trout, although purebred Goldens don't have very many. Their color is purplish, with large, oval purple parr marks. I plan to write a post about them in the near future, with some help from my brother. I will put it on this website in the general section.

My brother told me the same thing about the Basque Sheepherder. I believe he put them above Llewellan Falls on Silver King Creek, where their native range was below the falls. Then Rainbows were introduced later below Llewellan Falls, which hybridized with the Paiute Trout, so now they are planning to rotenone that section. Apparently, there are more impassible falls farther downstream, so if the Rainbows and hybids are eliminated from that stretch, the Paiutes can take over. If successful, they will finally allow people to fish for these beauties, which has not been the case for many years.

About the catfish, I forgot to mention that I read that Bullheads have also been introduced into the Keys, but I did not see any. Actually, it was sort of a good thing for the kids that there were lots of Bluegills there, since they were able to stand on the dock in their friend Elliot's backyard and catch them fairly easily. In fact, my niece Branda kept wanting to go back there, but Eunice and I were more interested in trout.

Natural Lefty
07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Oh, no big deal, but I forgot to mention, that we also tried Woods Lake, and nothing bit, although there were swarms of tiny flies which the fish were surfacing for. The flies were so small that no artificial I know of could imitate it. I tried small dry flies there (behind a bobber) but I guess the fish thought they didn't look right.

And another thing: The name of the friendly locksmith who fixed my keys was Randy Llewellan. That's correct, just like Llewellan Falls, probably a relative of the guy that Llewellan Falls was named for.

teejay
07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
And another thing: The name of the friendly locksmith who fixed my keys was Randy Llewellan. That's correct, just like Llewellan Falls, probably a relative of the guy that Llewellan Falls was named for.
Wow, what a coincidence. I would sure like to visit the Silver King and Llewellan Falls (umm,honest, I’m not fishing, I’m just practicing my roll cast; hee hee), but I’m not sure if the average person is even allowed to access the area -fishing is off limits. I heard, understandably, that the area is patrolled by a full time caretaker (somebody please tell me how I can get a gig like that)
I read in Cutter’s book that there has been some measure of success in the Paiute’s recovery. I also read that there is some controversy regarding what constitutes a pure Paiute Cutthroat. Apparently, some biologists feel that it’s actually a form of Lahontan Cutthroat. From the pictures that I have seen, it looks to be a unique fish. However, I will leave that debate up to the scientists.
I do find it odd though, considering that this trout is so rare, that the DFG lists it as one of the fish that can satisfy the angling requirements of their Heritage Wild Trout Challenge –go figure.
Any way, I look forward to any future post on the Paiute.

Natural Lefty
07-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Teejay, the Paiute do look quite different from the Lahontan Cutthroat, so they seem to be a separate variety. They did presumably evolve from the Lahontan Cutthroat though, so they may be quite similar genetically.

My brother did not say anything about having a "caretaker" (guard?) at Silver King Creek. He said he has been there several times. As one of the anointed ones, I guess he does not need to worry about trespassing. He said it's a six mile trip just to the lower end of Silver King Creek, and several more miles to Llewellyn Falls (I mispelled it before), so the purebred Paiute area is quite remote. I am sure that there are backpackers who would like to go there, though. Anyone can go to the area below Llewellan Falls, but maybe not above there. In fact, people can fish the lower part of the creek now (where the fish are not purebred Paiutes), just not the upper part.