PDA

View Full Version : Golden trout help

mshsu
07-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey guys,

My wife has been seeing all those pictures of the golden trout and she has made it a new goal to catch one. We are headed up to Mammoth in late July and I want to fish one of those high elevation lakes where we can catch and release golden trout. It would be pretty cool.
I need some help in planning a 1 day hike in/hike out trip. I was thinking of doing the treasure lakes/gem lakes trail. However, I don't have any experience with the backcountry stuff. Do these lakes have golden trout? Are there better places for a 1 day trip to catch a golden?

Please feel free to PM me. Any help is greatly apppreciated.

Thanks,
Ming

DreStyle
07-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I've read that there are golden trout in the San Joaquin drainage just west of Mammoth. In fact it supposedly contains rainbows, browns, brooks, and goldens in fairly close proximity making the grand slam a distinct possibility. I am not telling you this from personal experience, I just happened to read an article earlier this evening about that very river system. The article is in the June Issue of California Fly Fisher. I haven't received the next issue so it may still be for sale. I've seen it sold at the Orvis store in Pasadena and they probably have it at Bob Marriott's in Fullerton. You might also be able to find it at Sports Chalet. I would imagine that when you get to the Mammoth area you could probably swing by Performance Anglers or The Trout Fly (aka The Troutfitter) and they could probably give you some specifics.

rusty6
07-10-2009, 01:12 AM
the best bet for golden trout is the golden trout wilderness. just head up to horseshoe meadows out of lone pine.

NICKYMOUSE8
07-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Just to let you guys know fishing with bait is NOT allowed in the wild trout areas!barbless hooks are required and the dfg rangerspatrol the area

sierraslam
07-10-2009, 08:17 AM
your best bet may be the Cottonwood lakes out of Lone pine. It is a pretty easy hike and the lakes have lots of goldens. Barbless hooks only of course.

tacklejunkie
07-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't know if Cottonwood is a day hike. Treasure lake(s) either, unless you are really experienced or in shape. Those are more of overnighter or more trips. 4-5 miles in and 4-5 miles out. High elevation. Do a couple local hikes for a week or two to get in shape quick. Not trying to ruin your trip, trying to prepare you. Bring backpacks and low degree sleeping bags for sleeping at altitude. Also extra rain gear to keep you 100% dry. It can go from 70* hot and sunny to 30* with a windchill bringing it to 20* and icy in a mater of minutes up there!

I have heard of 4x4 trails near Mammoth with goldens but they are fairly intense as well.

teejay
07-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Ming,
Considering the background that you have shared, I also suggest that you stick to the established trails. Since you will be in Mammoth, I recommend that you check out Crystal Lake. Although this lake is not a pure Golden Trout fishery – having brook, rainbow and rainbow-golden hybrids as well as goldens-- its beauty alone is worth the uphill grunt from the Lake George trailhead.
There is another lake that can be accessed with a high-clearance 4wd, as mentioned by tacklejunkie, but it has special restrictions. If you want to explore this option, pm me and I will share more details.
Either way, you may want to check with the ranger station in Mammoth for a map and the latest trail, weather conditions.
Good luck,
Tom

Natural Lefty
07-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Ming, I used to fish for Golden Trout nearly every summer during backpacking trips. They are actually either the commonest (or were) or second commonest fish to Brook Trout in the range from the Golden Trout Wilderness in the south, to the northern end of the John Muir Wilderness area.

I went to the Treasure Lakes upstream from South Lake once (if those are the ones that you mean). They had plenty of Goldens, but since then, I read that the lower lakes were accidentally stocked with Rainbows, even though the Goldens were self-sustaining, and the upper lakes were gill-netted to make habitat for Yellow-Legged Mountain Frogs. What a shame! I suspect they will make a comeback in the upper lakes of the chain, though. It is hard to figure how all of them could have been gill netted out, especially since they are also in the connecting creeks.

I would say that it is easier to find creeks where Goldens can be reached by short hikes, rather than lakes. Also, the ones in creeks tend to be more colorful. Sometimes, Goldens in deeper lakes have such faded colors, that most people mistake them for Rainbows. I have discovered one creek that is only about a 100 yard hike, that is full of nothing but Goldens, up to about 9 inches maximum, above a series of waterfalls. It is near Mammoth, too. I took my own wife there 3 years ago to let her catch Goldens, in fact. If I could send you a personal email, I would be glad to tell you where it is.

txcurry
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Upper Kern drainage around Kennedy Meadows has some areas that are easily accesible9easy as far as the Sierras go). Gem has brookies, Rush Creek and Waugh also. We went to Thousand Island out of Agnew once, had some nice Goldens in there, but that's too far for a day hike. I'd contact " Troutfitters" in Mammoth for some info.
The Troutfitter
3011 Main
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
760-924-3676

Natural Lefty
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Ming and others, here is some more information about relatively accessible streams with Goldens. The suggestion about Kennedy Meadows is vague but the right area. There are drive-to Golden creeks in the area just south of the Golden Trout Wilderness. There are only streams in the area, no lakes, but I have seen pictures of Goldens from Fish Creek, and Beach Creek in this area, although I have not fished these creeks. These are west of Kennedy Meadows.

Interestingly, the river at Kennedy Meadows may actually be an indigenous Golden Trout habitat, but this was ruined when people came there and stocked Rainbows and Browns which apparently supplanted the Goldens. Once, I did a backpacking trip which originated at Blackrock Gap in the area west of Kennedy Meadows. About a mile and a half into the trip, we came upon Nine Mile Creek in a beautiful meadow, where numerous Goldens could be seen in the creek. Alas, we were in a hurry, and passed these beauties by. Later on, we did catch Goldens in their native habitat of Golden Trout Creek, so all was good. :Cool:

Also, the area by the Cottonwood Trailhead (the end of the road where the parking lot is) has several nearby Golden Trout creeks -- the South Fork, North Fork, and Main Fork of Cottonwood Creek, and the creek in Horseshoe Meadows. Artificials only with single barbless hooks are allowed here, and the main fork in only catch and release. But they definitely have pretty good Golden populations. I fished the South and North forks once, caught a couple Goldens on my fly rod, and saw quite a few others.

These areas are all in the far southern part of the sierras, and do not look as alpine where these creeks are, and there are no lakes to be seen (except farther up the Cottonwood drainage) so perhaps the wifey will not be as impressed with the scenery as at points farther north, but these are some really nice places not far from the Golden Trout's native habitat.

popeyoung2
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Hands down do the San Jaquin river inside the Devils postpile park above Mammoth. Just did the hike for the second year, same result. Caught many goldens and 3 other species in 1 morning. Drive thru the postpile entrance before 7 am. Park at agnes meadows pack station,(the first left, dirt road) hike up the lake trail along the east side of the river till you get to the river. Stay on the same side of the river and fish only the easy pools. 6 mile walk down. All natural fish, nice goldens and brooks on the first half and big bows and browns on the last 3 miles. Cross the first bridge, walk to the main road, grab a bus up the road and walk back to your truck. Pay $7/head to get out. Awesome fishing and the easy golden route, great naturals. #0 gold spinners, 4 lb. test or 4 weight fly rod and #18 drys. enjoy!
Hey guys,

My wife has been seeing all those pictures of the golden trout and she has made it a new goal to catch one. We are headed up to Mammoth in late July and I want to fish one of those high elevation lakes where we can catch and release golden trout. It would be pretty cool.
I need some help in planning a 1 day hike in/hike out trip. I was thinking of doing the treasure lakes/gem lakes trail. However, I don't have any experience with the backcountry stuff. Do these lakes have golden trout? Are there better places for a 1 day trip to catch a golden?

Please feel free to PM me. Any help is greatly apppreciated.

Thanks,
Ming

popeyoung2
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Ming, I have caught them out of gem tiny, hybrid goldens too many tourists. Take the first right after the postpile entrance to agnes meadows. You will not see another fisherman. Lots of deer and bear sign allover. Pm me if u want more info.

Natural Lefty
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
The San Joaquin is a possibility, indeed, but that is a long hike, and frankly, I doubt that they are purebred Goldens. More likely they are hybrids. Personally, I have caught hybrids in the river, and in Minaret Creek, but no actual Goldens in those places, unless there has been a major shift in the fish population there in recent years. I like the hybrids too; they are beautiful, healthy, vigorous fish, but I think Ming was asking about the purebreds with the brightest colors.

popeyoung2
07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Lefty, they may be hybrids, but nice fish. Name another place You can walk downhill thru the Ansel Adams and John Muir wilderness and catch a Sierra slam in 4 hours. My 15 year old son did the slam 10 days ago with a flyrod in 35 minutes. The water level now is perfect. The hike is fine. I am 50 and no big deal. Lots of bears but if that is a hinderance You can now pack heat for them. Best slam area I have ever found and beutiful. The Gem lake goldens were tiny and the crowds were insane.

Natural Lefty
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Popeyoung, I like the San Joaquin River too. It has been too long since I have hiked up there. It has really good fishing for several types of trout, and it is pretty easy hiking. I just turned 50 years old myself, and I have no trouble hiking, but my wife who usually goes with me does not like to hike very far. About 1/2 mile is far enough for her. I find it frustrating at times because I am ready to keep going for several miles.:Confused: