PDA

View Full Version : Lake Piru info ?

rocknreel20
07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Never fished Piru -
Are there any productive places to fish from the shore ?
What can you catch from the shore ?
Has the weather been hot in there lately ?
Ive noticed most reports are all on boats.
Want to take my kids out for the day.
Thanks,

verbalhologram
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I was out there on a boat on monday so I'll just the weather has been quite nice and it tends to get a little breezy later in the day, I usually always see people fishing by launching ramp and by the snack bar and tackle shop

sky
07-11-2009, 03:31 AM
delete info outdated

Liteweight
07-11-2009, 04:40 PM
My Dad used to take me there when we couldn't get up to the Sierra's. A lot of great memories. :Big Grin: As an adult I also prefer this lake over, let's say Castaic (unless we're talking Bass).
If your going to fish trout, the dam is the place to fish from shore. Trout like the cooler water temps in the deeper water.
Boats give you more versatility, but it is pricey if $ is an issue.
Best of luck.
LW

Kevman
07-14-2009, 11:44 PM
FYI, the dam has been closed to shore fishing since shortly after 9/11. If you look on the right side of the road as you pass the dam access road, you'll see a sign that says dam closed.

If you take the road up towards the main gatehouse, about 3-400 yards before you reach the gate you'll see a sharp curve and there will probably be 2-3 cars parked on the side of the road. If you walk down here, there is tons of shoreline to fish. If you park slightly farther along up towards the little house (before you get to the no parking area), you can walk down to the area Sky is talking about. Just don't park too close to the main gate - you'll see no parking signs if you do.

This time of year you'll want to fish deep for trout, either cast out far and let it sink to the bottom with a powerbait rig, or use slip bobbers and set the depth for 20-30 feet.

Bass are available along the shoreline as well. I haven't caught many catfish here either. If you know what to do and it's the right time of year, you can catch a lot of big crappie too.

It's rather hot at Piru lately, maybe 90s and sunny, but trout fishing is hot too if you know what to do.

Good luck!