PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Fishin?

HelloBendo420
07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
headed to hawaii next week for some r&r. get anyone give me some local fishing info?? I was wondering if they have 1/2 or 3/4 day trips or even shore fishing for a day.

bsp
07-07-2009, 08:58 PM
All of Hawaiian deep sea fishing is done with charter boats if you are visiting and can't meet somebody who owns a boat. No open party stuff we like we have here except for the bottom fishing tourist trips. If you want to pull on assorted reef fish then those are an option. There are a few shore fishing guides, and google should put you into contact with them. Then there is the do it yourself route, and a quick search in the forums will point you in the right direction if you choose to do that.

HelloBendo420
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
reef fishing sounds interesting

pineapple express
07-08-2009, 12:01 AM
howzit HB420

http://www.kuuloakai.com/start.asp

give capt rusty a holla...!!! they run a tight operation out of haleiwa, north shore of oahu...
they usually require advance notice & you could possibly share a charter. they are very
reasonable. if big game is what your looking for, these guys know
what their doing. they keep most of the catch for market but will make sure you
get some fresh fish to enjoy back at the condo or hotel... best of luck ><> i'll be looking forward
to your post. btw what island you hitting up?

PE

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I've fished when on Maui a year ago, and the charters are not like party fishing boats here in Calif. It's mostly trolling for tuna, wahoo, or marlin with no live bait fishing. At the docks at Lahaina there's a row of booths for charter fishing and you can book a trip right there the day or two before. Most boats will book 6 ppl for a charter, so if there's only yourself or the two of you, and they will match you up with another 3 or 4 ppl for a full load.
Only one charter boat there will let you keep some of the fish caught for free, but the rest of the boats want to keep the fish to sell to restaurants or fish markets and let you buy some to keep and take back to your condo/hotel to cook up yourself. These boats cost about $200 a day per person and you bring your own food/drinks.
These boats make their living off of tourists fishing and they'll make money on both ends.......chartering and selling the fish, mainly there for the tourist fishermen/women.
Have a great time! ______ MAHALO ______
___TTFM___

Lipripper93561
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
south shore Oahu has some cheep charters, you can usally get a coupon or two from the tourist stands they have all over town. One trip for a night of shark fishing was around 50- 70$, they provide all the gear and chum, I missed the boat, but heard that they got a few in the 300 to 400# range. Unlike here, they rotate shore fishing areas every other year, one year you can fish at a certain spot, the next, nada, I guess it eases up fishing pressure without implamenting those stupid MLPA's

tall tales
07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
my boss will be back sunday. ill let you know how he did and what it cost.

dixoncider
07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.strikezonemaui.com/
its open party bottom fishing and you troll out and back....fished there on monday. cool boat and nice crew

HelloBendo420
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
thanks for all the help fellas:LOL::LOL:
i'm leaving sunday morning, i'll let you know how it goes.

any word from your boss Tall Tales?

HelloBendo420
07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
okay fellas, here's the report. I wasn't able to charter a boat, but i did some shore fishing while i was in Maui and Lanai. There was a fishing supply rental spot not too far from the hotel. Used a bobber and shrimp. Also threw a few grubs for no love. There was a cool shore fishing spot where we stayed at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua. I walked out on one of the points and found holes that were drilled into a rocky point by some of the locals. Kewl stuff. First time shore fishing ever. Didn't catch anything in Maui, but Lanai had some cool aquarium type fish. Of course cnr all the beauties.. while i was fishing in Lanai I noticed a huge turtle that swam back and forth in front of me as if it were saying hello. here are some pix