PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake - July 1 & 2

etaggart
07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Late report from some midweek fishing in BBL last week ...

F-in-Law Jim was down from northern Cal for the week and brought the boat, so nephew Adam and I joined him last Wednesday after he had 2 full days alone.

Little bit of a late start Wednesday morning, to the observatory by about 9am. Anchored for a while and still-fished w/ combinations of night crawlers, powerbait and gulp under bobbers and up from the bottom. Also tossed some lures for fun when it slowed down.

Wednesday's totals were all catch & release and mainly by the observatory. Jim 4 trout, Adam 3 trout & 6+ small catfish, and 4 trout for me. All trout were from 1 to 2 lbs.

Moved to other parts of the lake after about 1pm, but not much action in other spots.

Got out much earlier Thursday and started by the observatory again. Jim 4 trout, Eric 2 trout and 2 catfish, Adam 2 trout and a ton of catfish ... and one crappie. Adam picked up one of his trout on an old Panther Martin lure I had tucked away deep in my box - second cast and a big hit! Two of the trout were hurt, so we kept them along with the crappie (Jim wanted to taste the crappie - turns out it was way more work than it was worth).

Stopped around 12:30 to go and get lunch - resumed from 4 to 7 - Jim picked up one more trout, the rest of us skunked in the afternoon.

Not the best ever, but it was nice that we were all catching!

Gotta plan a week-long mid-week float-tubing marathon for some time in July or August. I'll try to sucker Adam into it and see if the wife wants to join.

Cheers,

ET

seal
07-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the report. Will be battling the pontoon boats with my float tube this weekend. Hopefully you will not read about me in the paper as another BBL casualty.