PDA

View Full Version : late rpt. 7/3/09

really_drunk
07-07-2009, 07:15 PM
scored a spot on a company charter w/ a buddy of mine form work. We were on the Apollo out of fisherman's for an overniter. We get our room on the boat... which was great!!! as well as the captn n crew were the captn calls us into the galley to weigh our options. He begins by tellin us he's found a "good" WSB bite.. but all the guys start to rumble "we came for tuna!!"

So after a vote we decided tuna n man was it slow!!.. Trollin for the first 4 hoursfor nadda.. We came up on a paddie that produced 2 nice yellows...was very slow after that..chased the birds n the bluefin skool for the rest of the day... Man those bluefin were very shy! only boated 2 of them.. for a total count of 4 fish :Crying:

I borught home a big skunk...which i shoulda expected after the way my voyage to San Diego began..to start it off i loose my freekin bank card...then i load my rods into the truck n i get the great idea!! imma stick my rods out the lil window of the cab of my truck so the wont roll around on the way to S.D....I back out n snap :EyePop:!!! My 8 foot rod looses 6 inches thx to the carport..:Angry:

Well ended up having a great time even w/out fish... Well here's tha pics...

Mr Bendo
07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
They were even more shy yesterday!!!! I just got back from a overnighter even the yellows on paddies did not want to bite!!! When we did find tuna they went down. Got a couple bonito and very early in the morning some big squid.

kgselect
07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
The tuna fishing is really hit and miss. Better odds on the 1.5 & 2 day boats. But, you get the feeling that the tuna will bust open any day now for the overnite fleet.

Odium
07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
damnnn!!! sorry to hear about the skunk, but look at it this way. You now have a "new" 7.5 foot rod!! haha jk jk, grab a beer for each inch lost off the rod and you'll feel better.

ken725
07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I was out on a 1.5 day charter on the vagabond. I also came away with a skunk. I think we boated about 18 fish for the 25 on board. I think about half of us were skunked. I do recommend the Vagabond for long rage trips though. It was not the captain or the crews fault that the tuna did not want to show. The tuna never came up for the usual evening bite either. Seems like a really slow day for the entire fleet.

deanhall32
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
You're pretty funny RD. Yes, I know about the tuna skunk this year! BUT, I have no problem with that as long as the captain keeps everyone informed on what's going on with his plan as well as what's going on with the rest of the fleet. I won't mention any names but there was one trip where we went at least 6 hours trolling and the captain did not say one word to the passengers! The only time he spoke to us was when we were pulling into the landing. I think he could have done a better job being that he also owns the boat.

How was the communications on the Apollo and most importantly, what was the price of a beer?

BigBass777
07-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for posting. Most of us are on edge of when those tuna are going to start biting more consistently.

supasportkid
07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
sorry to hear about the skunk. thanks for postin thho

really_drunk
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
the captn of the apollo (forget his name but dudes like 29 yrs old) worked really hard on a slo bite and was coaching all the guys on what to do as we pulled up to the bait balls.. and dean the beers were 2.50 and i brought a 12er of newcastle on board w/ a vons rotisserie chicken :Secret:

ghetto dad
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice try brother.....youll get into em with Ricky Ray...just watch out for his "NBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU POACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :ROFL:

GD

Liteweight
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear about the :Skunk: :Sad:

Even sorrier to hear 'bout the missing 6" off your stick. Maybe you can use it as a "short" jig stick? Just a suggestion, but I usually put up the handles of my rods on the dash when I park in the garage (I also have a truck) so that it keeps the tips level and below the top of the roof. I have a loop of rope hanging from the rear view mirror to put the handles through to keep them from sliding.

Suprised the tuna bite wasn't better, but then not. Full moon cycles (anything within 3-5 days) can be unpredictable. Some of my best fishing days have been on this cycle but more of my most frequent skunks have also.

More consistent fishing should be coming. (Personal obsevation) Over the years I've found fishing for exotics better after mid-late July (sometimes August). I'll usually start in earnest at the end of July through mid-Oct (depending on weather).
LW

ghetto dad
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the :Skunk: :Sad:

Even sorrier to hear 'bout the missing 6" off your stick. Maybe you can use it as a "short" jig stick? Just a suggestion, but I usually put up the handles of my rods on the dash when I park in the garage (I also have a truck) so that it keeps the tips level and below the top of the roof. I have a loop of rope hanging from the rear view mirror to put the handles through to keep them from sliding.

Suprised the tuna bite wasn't better, but then not. Full moon cycles (anything within 3-5 days) can be unpredictable. Some of my best fishing days have been on this cycle but more of my most frequent skunks have also.

More consistent fishing should be coming. (Personal obsevation) Over the years I've found fishing for exotics better after mid-late July (sometimes August). I'll usually start in earnest at the end of July through mid-Oct (depending on weather).
LW

dude..youre a plethora of knowledge homie

GD

pokerface12
07-09-2009, 06:44 AM
You'll get them next time.