PDA

View Full Version : Which fishing spot near Parcher's....?

Sh1mano
07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi Everybody,

Heading out to the Sierra's in a couple of days and staying at Parcher's. I'll be meeting up with an old friend of mine who'll be bringing his two little boys, 7 and 8 years old. He just shot me a text and was asking which lake we should hit up first but also asked "which one has more shady areas?". I never thought about this before but come to think of it...South and Sabrina don't really provide shady cover. Are there any other lakes in the area that might fit this bill? Intake II perhaps? Anybody have any suggestions? Jared, are you out there?

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Joshua
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Everybody,

Heading out to the Sierra's in a couple of days and staying at Parcher's. I'll be meeting up with an old friend of mine who'll be bringing his two little boys, 7 and 8 years old. He just shot me a text and was asking which lake we should hit up first but also asked "which one has more shady areas?". I never thought about this before but come to think of it...South and Sabrina don't really provide shady cover. Are there any other lakes in the area that might fit this bill? Intake II perhaps? Anybody have any suggestions? Jared, are you out there?

thanks in advance for any feedback.
North Lake has some good cover on one side. THe creeks have trees everywhere.
Convict Lake is another option. If you want you can drive up to Rock Creek Lake or any of the Mammoth lakes.

I suggest you ask Smitty when you check in.

troutdog
07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Joshua had a good call on Convict and double checking with Jared. As you had mentioned Intake II does have some cover, but not always the best fishing based only on my experience...others I know have killed it there though.

Creeks might be a little tough to fish for the young ones depending on their level of proficiency, as tangles can often be an issue for even those who are experienced.

When I took my daughter to the Sierras last summer we fished South Lake extensively, but I made a point of fishing early in the day and only until mid morning then from late afternoon, say 3pm on. It worked out perfect as we took a short ride back towards Parchers and found a shady spot by the creek to make PB&J sandwiches, bird watch and skip stones in the creek. Sticking to this schedule we avoided the sun beating down on us during the middle of the day when fishing is typically slower anyways and we were not getting pounded by the late July sun.

South Lake was good to us as it does not require a long cast to get into the zone. Take the short hike down to "Boiler Cove" from the 2nd parking lot....plenty of boulders for the kids to climb and stones to turn over looking for hidden treasures should their attention begin to wane.

Have fun and be sure to post up a report! :Wink:

TD

Sh1mano
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys. Your feedback have been duly noted. I'm leaving tomorrow and if all goes well, a report should be posted by Saturday.

greg
07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Intake 2 has shady fishing spots. You want to fish by the dam (on the east side of the lake)

lalo56
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Weir Pond is good, no need to wade just look very good around the area to find the spots. First day i was there i got my limit, just toss towards the grass.

Intake II, go to the island, you will have to wade accross to get to the spot where stream comes in. Also if you wade by that area there are some pretty big trout around that area, at least there was when i was there Father's day weekend.

North Lake was a little tough.

But yeah, ask when you check in they will give you the spots that are good at that time.

Good luck and have fun for us!