PDA

View Full Version : Help on 395...

LunkerLover
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey fellow FNN-ers....

Here's the deelio.... My brother-in-law and I are leaving Saturday morning for a week away travelin' up the 395 to Mammoth ...

I would LOVE some help from you guys on some hot spots to fish while heading up the 395 ... we're leaving from Riverside and plan to just wing it on the way up there ... I've been told about fishing the Owen's River and that's about it .... bringing BOTH the trout set-ups and the LMB set-ups ...

ANY HELP on spots would be SWEET - PM me if you'd like ... I'm 100% C&R ...

DreStyle
07-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Your question depends on several factors. How far off of the 395 are you willing to go? There really isn't much that is say, walking distance from the highway, but if you're willing to turn and drive anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes off the highway there is more fishing than you can shake a stick at.

As far as bass are concerned I've never fished for them up there but I know they are present in some lowland ponds. Your best bet would be to ask a tackle shop in Lone Pine, Big Pine, or Independence because those towns would be the closest to potential bass habitat. All three of the towns mentioned have several creeks in their general vicinity that hold trout.

Once you reach Bishop, the real opportunities begin in my opinion. Once in Bishop, head west on Line St. and that turns into the highway that takes you up to Intake II, South Lake, North Lake, and Lake Sabrina (all fine fishing destinations). For specifics on that area, hit up Sierra Smitty on the board, his family runs Parcher's Resort and the South Lake landing and is always helpful in that department.

Past Bishop, you will find Pleasant Valley Reservoir, Rock Creek Lake, Lake Crowley (the one you can see from 395 and if you miss it you shouldn't be driving because you're f***ing blind), and Convict Lake. That pretty much takes care of the lakes before hitting Mammoth. There are also several options in Mammoth and north of there.

There is a free publication that you can pick up almost everywhere up there called the Eastern Sierra Fishing Guide that has a bunch of general maps and contacts for businesses who are happy to help you succeed so you keep coming up there to support them. I actually found copies of this guide at Kimura's Fishing Tackle in Chino Hills and would imagine that other local tackle shops in the area have it too.

Last but not least, food tips from a fat guy (tips you can ALWAYS trust). While in Bishop stop at Schatt's Bakery because pretty much everything there kicks *****. Also make a stop at Mahogany Smoked Meats because they have the best bacon ever created by mankind.

tacklejunkie
07-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Good info DreStyle.
Get some maps, find your basecamp, and plan on many day trips to various areas! Get back into the hills, you can't go wrong. Fish lake inlets and outlets for trouts. Just about every creek up there has fish so if you see one, couldn't hurt to stop and try. Don't forget they are sly and see you coming so be ninja and cast to pools before you get to them so fish don't see you. Crouch around the banks and stuff and keep a low profile. If the creek is moving way to fast might want to try a different one. Sometimes they are hard to fish in the runoff from the snow. I dunno about bass up there, it's trout country. Bring panther martins and fly rods.
In Mammoth, there is also several lakes within very close driving distance to the town conveniences.

Don't forget to pop in at some of the random tackle shops all over in Bishop, Mammoth, Lone Pine etc and ask for directions to some fish! They are usually very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The tackle shops also sell some nice waterproof maps that show EVERYTHING in the area for $10 a piece that should last you years. Also, stop by the Bishop ranger station. (White mountain station?) for more info than you can shake a stick at.

NICKYMOUSE8
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Here another great tip off for you trip on 395 drive @ 65 C.H.P up the ying yang and be mindful on the sudden drop in speed limit as you enter small towns C.H.P will be waiting for ya:LOL:

DccFISHerMan
07-07-2009, 01:04 PM
yeah dont pass schatts, everything in there is bomb!!!

pc2mac
07-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Here is some info I found on the web and posted before. Good luck. When you are driving up 395 and you see a road going east, check it out. You'll eventually hit the Owens and roads going North and South. Explore and you may find a good spot...

http://www.independence-ca.com/warm-water-fishing.shtml

A good map giving a good overview from Lone Pine to Bishop

http://www.bishopvisitor.com/map/motor.php3

Some more stuff on areas around Bishop...

7. Five Bridges: This is a local’s favorite! Access is very easy: you can park along side the
road on the dirt area. Located along Hwy #6 about 3 miles from Hwy #395. This is a great area
for both Browns and Rainbows. As a side note: the Bishop Area Chamber of Commerce and
Visitors Bureau regularly (once per week) stocks from this point on the Owens all the way down
to Warm Springs Road.

8. Laws Railroad Museum Access: Another great easy access point. Well marked on the
map, easy to find and park.

9. East Line Street Access: Same as above. One note worth mentioning, the dirt roads that
run parallel to the river are well worth checking out; you can pick a spot and be all alone to enjoy
the entire experience.

10.Warm Springs Road Access: Another local’s favorite! Many people have good luck here.
This spot has become one of the better know locations for catching your full limit. Very well
marked and again, take advantage of the dirt roads along the river.

11.Collins Road Access: Same as above!

12.Buckley Ponds: This is the place for Bass! Try all the ponds and don’t forget the canal,
which is loaded with fish. Access: drive east on East Line Street, just past the cemetery take the
first dirt road on your right.

LunkerLover
07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Man - you guys rock! This is why I love FNN! :Big Grin:

deanhall32
07-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Man I wish I was going with you LunkerLover!!! Fishing sounds good so make sure you pay your tab!!!! LOL

LunkerLover
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Man I wish I was going with you LunkerLover!!! Fishing sounds good so make sure you pay your tab!!!! LOL

Serious dude - - !! Did you see my response to that little leach "Fishdude93?"

Some people man ... geesh :LOL:

deanhall32
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey- I fished Bishop last Thanksgiving for the first time and had a blast. Fished the areas already covered in this thread and it was beautiful and easy to fish. We had it to ourselves though. Don't know how it will be for you but if you stay in Bishop it will be hotter than snot. Good luck fellow teach!