PDA

View Full Version : Creekin' in the Hills July 5th, 2009

steve092
07-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Now that I'm back from Europe, I decided to do some fishing! Before I went fishing, I headed down to BPS and bought a new fly setup. The setup I took home was the Whitewater Classic 5' 3wt UL rod and reel combo. It was a little expensive, but it handles great especially in the tight spaces. Anyways, my dad and I arrived at the creek around two and started working the creek. I saw a few 12+ inchers in there, but they did not want to play. I fished till about three working the spinning rod. I had a few bites, and even one taker (lost it at the shore), but nothing landed. So I went back to where I started and worked the same area, but with the fly. The fly I used was a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis. I remembered seeing tons of fish in a pool. I worked that pool for at least 15 minutes when I see a splash! Fish on! Fought him for a while and stripped it in. My first fish ever on the fly was a nice brown! I wet my hand, brought him in, unhooked him, and let him go back to his business. After that, I headed upstream in search of some good pools. I found one deep one and went with the spinning rod because it was too tight for the fly. Anyways, I tossed out a debarbed Panther Martin and BENDO! Another little brown! My first multi-brown day!:LOL:. After letting it go, I headed to one last pool. I tossed a salmon egg in there. I figured since its the last pool for the day, I might as well let it sit and see what happens. The line kept bouncing around, but I figured it was the current. As soon as I started reeling in, another bendo! This was a way bigger model than the browns, so it put up a great fight. I fought it for about 5 minutes trying to keep it out of the rocks and the weeds. When I pulled it up, it was a pretty good sized rainbow. Like the other fish, I pulled it in and let it go. Overall, it was a nice day out. Weather was perfect. My dad got the skunk, but the fishing at the creek has been tough lately. Can't wait till Fall!

First Brown of the day and first fish ever on the fly!
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/steven92/Creek%20FIshing%2007-05-09/P7051100.jpg

Second Brown on the Panther Martin.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/steven92/Creek%20FIshing%2007-05-09/P7051101.jpg

The Rainbow!
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/steven92/Creek%20FIshing%2007-05-09/P7051103.jpg

Same fish
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/steven92/Creek%20FIshing%2007-05-09/P7051104.jpg

DccFISHerMan
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
nice going on the brown, good sized rainbow too

Roostertail
07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks like you had a great time. Nice looking fish. You caught one fish with each technique. Yhanks for sharing.

jlgarciaiii22
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
What creek were you fishing at?

tacklejunkie
07-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Before I went fishing, I headed down to BPS and bought a new fly setup. The setup I took home was the Whitewater Classic 5' 3wt UL rod and reel combo. I worked that pool for at least 15 minutes when I see a splash! Fish on! Fought him for a while and stripped it in. My first fish ever on the fly was a nice brown! I wet my hand, brought him in, unhooked him, and let him go back to his business. Anyways, I tossed out a debarbed Panther Martin and BENDO! Another little brown! My first multi-brown day!:LOL:.

Noice! Good choice on a creekin' fly combo.
Glad to see you hook a brownie as the first fish on the new rod!
Good work on the first Multi-Brownie day too! Not long ago I was all stoked for the same reasons. :Surprised:
Great report and nice big bow thrown in too!
Awesome!

steve092
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Noice! Good choice on a creekin' fly combo.
Glad to see you hook a brownie as the first fish on the new rod!
Good work on the first Multi-Brownie day too! Not long ago I was all stoked for the same reasons. :Surprised:
Great report and nice big bow thrown in too!
Awesome!

Thanks! It was pretty cool hookin' up on that first brownie because I was watching the fly, then all of a sudden there is a brownie in the air, and my pole went bendo!

Skyler
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Sweet, bro. Nothing like the first fish on a new rod, he he he. Good job.