PDA

View Full Version : Epic battle 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

labboss2003
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Me and the boys hit cat Thurs tru Sat ,stayed at two harbors.Started west of the haror for some rockcod. I knew the calicos where wide open so we really didnt target them.Caught some nice salmon groupers and two soupfin sharks. Went into the mooring about 1pm was tierd from not getting any sleep the night before ,slept till about 6 pm while the boys where wandering around the island .We ate dinner at the Harbor Reef ,was good but pricey.The next day the wind came up early so we got a few more rockcod and decieded to troll around for some bonnies or whatever.We headed east this time the wind really picked up.So we hugged the island, we where trolling in about 46-60 feet just skirting the kelp line. One rod was a 20-50 class sabere with 40 lb , the other was a Berkley Lighting rod with a cardiff 400 and 15lb maxima.(Both rods had YoZuri mack paterns on)We got a couple of calicos then all HELL BROKE LOSE. The Berkley goes off, what i thought was another calico,turned out to be something big very big.Steven(HE'S 16) grabs it ,the other boys where watching a movie in the cabin.
The fish is peeling line off, I thought well we got the kelp so i start backing down to try to get the lure the whole time the reel is still smokeing line off . Said to Steven all right we got a big yellow or white .20 min in we see color ,shoot its kelp I look at the reel and line is still peeling of it was going tru the kelp.Got the kelp to the boat cut it off YEA fish is still on. At the time we cut the kelp off we where in about 60ft ,now the fish turns and starts heading off the island.I start backing down on this giant the whole time yelling at Steven REEL DOWN PUMP IT.At 40 min in we are now sitting in 200 ft of water. He gets 10 foot the fish takes 15. The viens in Stevens arms are bulging, he wants to hand the rod off , I tell him more like yell at him REEL DOWN PULL IT UP YOUR CLOSE.At 50 min in we finaly see good color ,all of us say its a big hali,then sounds of wtf and ohhh my god are heard on the boat.We get it to the boat I grab it it was like holding onto a pit bull never held something with such raw power.I get the YOZuri out and me and Mark pull it onto the back .In hindsight we should have never put it on the back!!,but all of our blood was boiling, will never make that mistake again.So please dont rag on me.
I slipped the monster back in held onto to it pulled it along for about 5 min .It felt strong I let it go we saw it swim back on down ,we stayed in the area for about another 30min to make sure she did not come back up.
For Steven it was a fish of a lifetime he stayed with it and and got a fish story for life and a spot on my boat till I die.I am very proud of him, as I am proud of my boy(Michael) and nephew(Mark)we all worked togather to catch and release the thing dreams are made of.

After that we found a place to set the hook and have lunch.After lunch while Mark was going up to the front to pull the hook he manages to bust the drivers side windshield out (I guess it was a little bad karma for putting the monster on the back)going to be a wet ride going home.We headed to the mooring for the night

The plan was to get up sat fish a little then head to long beach for fireworks.Headed over about 8am was glad we did .We fished the shoe till about 1pm now the wind was really ripping. Had a boat meatting decieded to go on home .Davies was a zoo and by the looks of it, it wasn't getting any better.

We didn't fish too hard the whole trip but we have a fish story that will last a lifetime.

Bob,Michael,Mark and Steven............................................ .....

calico killer kevin
07-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Damn, IGFA line class record? haha

That's quite a feat. Congrats.

TShaffer
07-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Nice bsb. Can't believe it was on 15lb that's crazy.

gavin310
07-05-2009, 06:37 PM
man... bsb on 15 lb on the troll. crazy :) good job out there

BigBass777
07-05-2009, 08:00 PM
What is an estimate weight of the black sea bass? Wow! Great catch and safe release.

socalrippin
07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
hell yeah! props to the 16 year old, and props to you for making him finish the beast off on his own. i remember those days like it was yesterday. truly an unforgettable time in life.