PDA

View Full Version : Big kitty on lipless crank (Littlerock dam), late report...

dross99_si
07-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Went to the dam about 2 weeks ago to try our luck for some bass from the shore as we're still not done painting the boat :(
I was fishing a 1/2oz lipless crankbait in a bluegill pattern around the launch ramp rip-rap, making long casts with the curado 200E5/10lb fluoro, letting it sink to the bottom and then a slow retrieve with little pops of the rod tip here and there. I finally get slammed and the fish starts to head shake. I thought it was a big bass at first, but when it gave a few hard tugs and started slowly and steadily peeling lots of line straight to the bottom I knew it was something else. Fought this thing for almost 10 minutes pulling up what felt like dead weight and reeling down as fast as my little 5:1 reel could go. Finally this monster surfaced and I was shaking like a damn leaf, adrenaline pumping and exhausted from the battle. I didn't want to touch the darn thing, but my buddy convinced me to pick it up for a photo. It was a clean catfish and felt really cool, not like no nasty bullheads, lol.
Not exactly sure what kind? A blue cat parhaps?
Let me know what you guys think!
Didn't have the scale with us either, so unfortunately no weight recorded.
That sucker was heavy though!
So the cat was released safely as I would feel bad killing something that old and beautiful.
Hope you enjoy!

DCCTrouserTrout
07-03-2009, 03:46 PM
That's a pretty cool catch on a lipless crank.

dross99_si
07-03-2009, 03:49 PM
It really is, and he really inhaled it. Just trying to eat a bluegill...
It was a very unexpected catch for sure!

Fishbreath
07-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Good job! Those things can wear you out. Looks like 10lbs+ for sure, maybe even a teener. Not a good clear shot for Id, but from the rounded anal fin, I would say it is a channel catfish. Either way, a great fish.

skunkmaster
07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Yup probably a channel. Those are a fun surprise, espcially if it's a slow bass day. Nice job and nice release! My wife got a 7lber dropshotting a roboworm on 6lb test a couple weeks back.

tpfishnfool
07-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Awsome Kitty ! Nice job letting her go.. There are pigs in there but we rarely see any.

Ted
07-03-2009, 05:23 PM
WOW...now that looks like fun!!

I've had them hit a spinnerbait.
Catfish can get aggressive off the bottom.

Good job!

troutdog
07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
AWESOME kitty, wtg on letting her live to fight another day!

TD

dross99_si
07-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words...