PDA

View Full Version : Leo Carrillo Float Tubing Again 7/2

PokerFish
07-02-2009, 05:03 PM
So after catching that huge Angel Shark off my float tube at Leo Carrillo last week, me and my buddy decided to give it another go and see what else wanted to play. Unfortunately, today was not a good day.

It looked very promising when it started. Got in the water as the sun was coming up. The swells were small and there were TONS and I mean TONS of baitfish in the water. Caught a bunch of smelt and sardines on a Sabiki rig. Drifted live bait for about 2 hours without a single bite. Finally, I get a hit and bring in a nice sized 14" Sand Bass. After another 2 hours of skunkage and a growing need to use the bathroom, I decide to get out. Unfortunately, the swells have really picked up at this point.

So I pick a spot that looks like its calmer than the rest, tuck my 2 rods at my sides and do my best to time the waves. You probably see where this is going...I did not do a good job. I had one big wave crash right on top of me and flip the tube.

After I finally drag myself out of the water and gather everything, I realize that I have lost one swimming fin and my Penn 650SS/Ugly Stick combo. Luckily, I was able to save my Daiwa/Crucial setup because guess what, it amazingly hooked me in the finger as it got tossed around :EyePop: and I was able to drag it in. The rod must have hit something though since the top section broke

So, 4 hours of fishing, one bite, one 14" Sand Bass, Daiwa reel full of sand, broken Crucial, one lost fin, hooked finger, stiff neck, twisted ankle, lost Penn 650SS and Ugly Stik. Yea, I'd say that qualifies as a pretty crappy day :Sad:

Hopefully, this reminds all of you to be safe out there. Oh yea, if anyone finds a Penn/Ugly Stik Combo in the Malibu area, please send me a PM :Smile:

victor101
07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow! that sucks man...at least you didnt get skunked...and you got a funny story to tell...good thing it didnt turn tragic

NICKYMOUSE8
07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok let me get this straight you tubed around Leo cabrillo??:Shocked:a break flips your tube, with you inside it??:EyePop:dude you lucky u didn't drown funny a buddy of mine asked me if I wanna go tubing around the surf with him he has an extra but, hearing other near tragic salty tubing adventures like ''I GOT bite in the leg by a seal'' while tubing the salt I SECOND that notion...

LunkerLover
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I've been salty tubin many many times, and let me safely say FIND A NEW spot brutha....... just my :My Two Cents:

soulsurfer
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Years later, you're going to reminisce about this and laugh out loud. Glad you're safe Poker.

bones
07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
If you want to tube the salt......Stick with the harbors. Mother nature is VERY unforgiving as you just found out. I've been surfing since 1973 and you can NEVER predict how the wind swell is going to pick up.Wind swell is not as predictable as ground swell(deep water swell) Typically this time of year we get an onshore wind the gradually picks up and maxes out in the afternoon. It could of been much worse for you. If we were experiencing santa annas right now(offshore winds)......They would have picked you up at catalina.....LOL
Also in a wind swell situation the waves are very inconsistant and you can get piggyback waves that are much larger as you found out. I don't know if you had waders on but if this situation were to have happened on an outside break.......You would have filled your waders up and probably drowned. Water weighs about 7lbs per gallon and most waders could easily accomodate 5 gallons of water around your body. Hence.....35lbs hanging from your toes.
Enough with the lecture....I'm glad your ok and hopefully ALOT wiser!
It's just fishing....NEVER worth putting your life on the line.

PokerFish
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks all of you for the concern. You guys are right, it could have been a lot worse than just losing some gear and I'm definitely wiser now.

If you want to tube the salt......Stick with the harbors. Mother nature is VERY unforgiving as you just found out. I've been surfing since 1973 and you can NEVER predict how the wind swell is going to pick up.Wind swell is not as predictable as ground swell(deep water swell) Typically this time of year we get an onshore wind the gradually picks up and maxes out in the afternoon. It could of been much worse for you. If we were experiencing santa annas right now(offshore winds)......They would have picked you up at catalina.....LOL
Also in a wind swell situation the waves are very inconsistant and you can get piggyback waves that are much larger as you found out.

This is exactly what happened. The swell was very inconsistent so I misjudged it even after watching it for awhile. One of those bigger piggyback waves is what got me. Too bad I've never surfed before, that info would have come in handy :Smile:

I don't know if you had waders on but if this situation were to have happened on an outside break.......You would have filled your waders up and probably drowned. Water weighs about 7lbs per gallon and most waders could easily accomodate 5 gallons of water around your body. Hence.....35lbs hanging from your toes.

I was aware of this situation after reading several warnings on the internet so I wore a wetsuit. I never thought I was going to flip but I thought that random waves might fill up the waders little by little. So glad I was not wearing waders.

Also, I think the kind of float tube I have helped as well. I have the ODC 420 which is open in the front so even though I was upside down as the wave flipped me, the power of the wave ejected me away from the tube as well.
http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=251&Cat=2

BIGBASS MB
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Dude last weeks report was very entertaining and I was talking about that shark with my bros, and I also like to tube, but tubing in the ocean? I'm sorry abour your incident, I'm Glad your OK. maby try a samll boat or a kayak for fishing the kelp... Good luck MB

fishshep
07-05-2009, 06:58 AM
If I find a "Penn with an ugly stick in the Malibu area"
where I fish :Smile: I will stash it in my pack !!!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
But don't tell anybody, "Finders Keepers" :ROFL::ROFL:

PokerFish
07-05-2009, 01:40 PM
If I find a "Penn with an ugly stick in the Malibu area"
where I fish :Smile: I will stash it in my pack !!!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
But don't tell anybody, "Finders Keepers" :ROFL::ROFL:

It was worth a shot :LOL:

megafisher94