PDA

View Full Version : Chovies

working4golf
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Is there anyplace in Socal to buy live chovies......on land?

Cangler
07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Fish dont live on the land man ...

working4golf
07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Fish dont live on the land man ...

Oh man....thanks for the info. All this time, I have been casting into my back yard from my bedroom balcony. After all these years, you have explained in one short sentence why I haven't caught anything. Amazing.

In case you didn't mean it as a smart a** response......I realize fish don't live on the land.
There is a place in SD where there is a bait barge close to land where you can buy LIVE BAIT STANDING ON LAND. You put $5 in your bucket, and you simply pull your bucket back and forth with a rope between the coast and the barge.

Problem is they have crap bait....more macks than dines, and no chovies.

I simply presumed that this isn't a new idea to socal, and perhaps there was a pier baitshop, or other barge that was close enough to land to do something similar.

If anyone has any USEFUL information....thanks in advance.

SamFisher
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Is there anyplace in Socal to buy live chovies......on land?

I don't know where you are at but I used to walk to Davy's Locker with a 5 gallon bucket with
two or three beers and/or a pack of smokes. I would trade for live bait form their receiver. I
am sure you can do something like that.

It's easy enough to make bait off the jetty or pier using sabiki rigs or dip net.

SamFisher

Hometown
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
i don't know where you are at but i used to walk to davy's locker with a 5 gallon bucket with
two or three beers and/or a pack of smokes. I would trade for live bait form their receiver. I
am sure you can do something like that.

It's easy enough to make bait off the jetty or pier using sabiki rigs or dip net.

Samfisher

marina d ray i beleve has to bait docks

PokerFish
07-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I haven't been there for awhile but the small pier (boat landing) at Redondo Beach used to sell live anchovies. You might want to try giving them a call if you're close