PDA

View Full Version : Casitas Skunk beaten back 6/29

fatherof5
07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I brought my two kids, uncle and cousin to Casitas for a try at some of the hogs that dwell there, knowing that the summer is not the easiest time to fish there. Had a flat in the RV, so we arrived late on Monday. Fished off the shore and off one of the docks for no love. I was going to rent a boat on Tuesday, and with my fishfinder I was sure we would find them the next morning. Hint: always check fishfinder battery before leaving the house. Fish finder out. I declare we will do it old school, just read the water. My daughter comments that the fish finder has never really helped us, since it's not a fish "catcher." I gave her the eye, and that line of commentary ended. We are on the lake before 6 am, see a few swirls around, and are really excited to be there. Slight overcast, beautiful sunrise, oh yeah, this is what fishing is about. 5 hours later, after throwing topwater, plastics, spinners and drop shotting every possible color and style combo, and nightcrawlers, not even a bite. A slight skunk odor seems to be in the air. At one of the floating bathrooms, two other boater confirm our observation: it tough today. My son says he has a good feeling about a small cove, so we anchor up. My cousin gets his first Casitas bass on his first cast. My daughter discovers some bluegill. My son and uncle both get a bass at a nearby point. I fish for bluegill just to remember what a fish feels like. We go back to the RV for midday rest, and don't return to the back side of the lake until around 6 pm. My third or fourth cast with a night crawler gets a suspicious tap tap, and I set the hook. The fish flies straight out of the water, swirls around, and then tries to dive back deep. I have 6 pound test, and open water, so my luck holds up and the bass smiles for the camera before being released. We made it back to the launch ramp with about 5 minutes to spare. Yes, this is what fishing is about....

JohnMarino
07-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Congrats at beating the old skunk at lake Casitas; its a tough lake but she pays out when you put the time into it :) Looks like you guys had a great time and some great memories.

bassinnut
07-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Nice job out there and beating the skunk. I got the skunk Sunday with a boat. Springtime was much better