PDA

View Full Version : DPH Fishing Tips

sh1bby69
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I need tips on fishing at Dana Point Harbor. I have a boat with a 85hp Evinrude and plan to take it out side the harbor. I haven't had much luck lately. The set-up is a drop shot with some frozen anchovies. Any suggestions with a different set-up general locations? I plan to acutally get some live bait today and I think that may help out a lot. Any tips will help. Thanks guys!!

sonarbp
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey sh1bby69,

You have lots of options.......live bait, cut bait, plastics the list goes on and on!

Best bet would be to fish some live fin bait on one rod while throwing swimbaits on another. Try and target kelp stringers and if you can the boiler rocks. Boiler rocks hold alot of calicos and sheephead.

sonarbp

ps. if you ever need a fishing buddy let me know!

sh1bby69
07-01-2009, 10:21 AM
What do you mean live fin bait? Also when you say boiler rocks you mean rocks close to the surface?

sonarbp
07-01-2009, 10:30 AM
What do you mean live fin bait? Also when you say boiler rocks you mean rocks close to the surface?

By fin bait I mean live sardines or chovies. The boiler rocks are the rock that run up and down the coast line. If you cruise out of the harbor and head north towards Laguna area there are lots of boiler rocks and kelp to fish.

sonarbp

sonarbp
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
What type of boat are you fishing from? Some of the larger model boats are kinda hard to fish the rocks from.

sh1bby69
07-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I have 69 glastron v156 tri hull

sonarbp
07-01-2009, 10:39 AM
That is a nice stable fishing platform!!! You should have no problems fishing the rocks. You just need to watch how close you get and keep an eye on the swells. Lots of nice quality fish in and around the rocks.

sh1bby69
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Alright I'll try that out. Swim bait is different from fin bait? How should I set the line up? And should I just hook the fish by the mouth the back or the tail. Thanks for helping me out guys I appreciate it!!

fish4keep
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Alright I'll try that out. Swim bait is different from fin bait? How should I set the line up? And should I just hook the fish by the mouth the back or the tail. Thanks for helping me out guys I appreciate it!!

Swimbait is plastic trying to represent a fin bait (live bait)....

If you're fishing w/ live bait, just flyline it toward the rock....

HESBROS
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Just be carefull around the boilers! It is a dangerous fishing area. If youi get too close to the boilers, the tide and swell will draw you closer to the rocks. Keep your main engine running when fishing the boilers and the boat facing an escape route. It takes some time to get used to fishing the boilers. Fish the kelp, there is kelp from the harbor all the way down to San Onofre. Set up on the outside of the main kelps. Or run down and fish off the domes.

sonarbp
07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Just be carefull around the boilers! It is a dangerous fishing area. If youi get too close to the boilers, the tide and swell will draw you closer to the rocks. Keep your main engine running when fishing the boilers and the boat facing an escape route. It takes some time to get used to fishing the boilers.

HESBROS is 100% correct!! My advice for fishing the boilers is to start out abit farther than casting distance from the rocks. As you get more confidence move in closer but always be aware of the swells. You don't need to cast right on the rocks just in the general location...but be ready to set the hook at anytime!!!!! Boiler fish hit fast and will try and pull the line into the rocks!

Good luck!

HESBROS
07-01-2009, 12:21 PM
HESBROS is 100% correct!! My advice for fishing the boilers is to start out abit farther than casting distance from the rocks. As you get more confidence move in closer but always be aware of the swells. You don't need to cast right on the rocks just in the general location...but be ready to set the hook at anytime!!!!! Boiler fish hit fast and will try and pull the line into the rocks!

Good luck!

Oh, and dont get too wrapped up in the moment when you hook the big one, stay alert of your surroundings, things can change in a hurry around those boilers. Watch the SWBA Trailer. some of this video if fishing the boilers around DP.
http://www.insidesportfishing.com/